Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 06:01 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,491,866 times

Advertisements

I know these aren't wealthy areas but are they safe? Seems to be some inexpensive housing walking distance to the strip on the east side. I like the walking distance, traffic is horrible.

Are the close in areas west better? Can one walk under the Interstate?

Anyone know Vegas well who can answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 10:16 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,406,264 times
89104 is a BIG area. i live in that zip code, and while i can walk to the strip or downtown, it isn't something i would do every day (~2miles), esp. in the summer. my area (huntridge) is safe, relatively speaking. i never hesitate to walk around by myself or with my dogs. i have friends in the area who do the same.

but immediately east of the strip proper is not the same as my neighborhood. significantly rougher area. do you have cross streets in mind? i live north of sahara, east of maryland. i drive down joe brown/swenson to work...and the areas i drive through once i get south of sahara aren't that nice, especially south of DI.

definitely visit and check out the area b4 you move if you are considering living near downtown/near the strip...things can change remarkably w/in a couple blocks.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:33 AM

169 posts, read 1,081,333 times
Default Crime View

heres a map of your area and the crime statistics

gives you a good idea of what takes place in your area.

CrimeView Community Incident Map

Old 11-20-2008, 11:57 AM

just looked at LVMs map (great resource...thx; had to do some address editing to get it to work / firefox, tho), and i guess i thought 89104 went further south. i have friends w/ places in the southridge area north of sahara and west of maryland. seems like some good deals over there. i haven't heard of anything negative from the people who live there....but you have to remember that it is a downtown neighborhood, so the background level of 'nonsense' is a bit higher than it would be in the 'burbs.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:01 PM

Thanks Jim and Mom I tried that crime view and it seems to say there was no robberies assaults and burglaries in 89104 for the past 60days.

Hmm that probably means everyone is walking around relaxed carrying cash, and not locking their doors and as they haven't been victims - they are probably doing well.

What an opportunity for an enterprising criminal!

Nah don't look at me - I was once an elected DA but if Im reading this right - it looks good.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:54 PM

252 posts, read 903,493 times
Default woo for the 89104!

I am a single woman who lives in that zip code.... ~ 1 mile from the strip. I like it a lot. I walk my dog around at all hours of the day/night and don't worry about safety much. Haven't been there long, but haven't had any concerns yet. There are better parts of the zip code; sections of any neighborhood/street that are nicer than others. But just check out the houses around the place you'll be renting/buying. The good part is that a lot of folks have lived there forever and that makes for a nice, non-transient population. There's a place next door to me that has just been renovated and is for sale/rent right now. DM me if you want more info...

Old 11-20-2008, 11:36 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,058,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Thanks Jim and Mom I tried that crime view and it seems to say there was no robberies assaults and burglaries in 89104 for the past 60days.

Hmm that probably means everyone is walking around relaxed carrying cash, and not locking their doors and as they haven't been victims - they are probably doing well.

What an opportunity for an enterprising criminal!

Nah don't look at me - I was once an elected DA but if Im reading this right - it looks good.
Last sixty days in 89104...

ASSAULT/BATTERY 47
ASSAULT/BATTERY W/A GUN 1
ASSAULT/BATTERY W/OTHER DEADLY 9
BURGLARY 88
FIGHT 12
JUVENILE DISTURBANCE 20
LARCENY FROM PERSON (NON ROBBE 6
NARCOTICS 27
OTHER DISTURBANCE 482
ROBBERY 20
STOLEN MOTOR VEHICLE 50
Grand Total 762

This is not Mayberry.

The east end is better. I would not walk my dog a mile from the strip unless it was a large pit bull or rottweiler..and I would prefer to be armed. .

Old 11-21-2008, 12:24 AM

Yikes I was using firefox with a mac and maybe thats why the graphic for crime showed an empty map. Its not Mayberry those are Detroit statistics!

Old 11-21-2008, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Last sixty days in 89104...

ASSAULT/BATTERY 47
ASSAULT/BATTERY W/A GUN 1
ASSAULT/BATTERY W/OTHER DEADLY 9
BURGLARY 88
FIGHT 12
JUVENILE DISTURBANCE 20
LARCENY FROM PERSON (NON ROBBE 6
NARCOTICS 27
OTHER DISTURBANCE 482
ROBBERY 20
STOLEN MOTOR VEHICLE 50
Grand Total 762

This is not Mayberry.

The east end is better. I would not walk my dog a mile from the strip unless it was a large pit bull or rottweiler..and I would prefer to be armed. .
hey capt...usually i agree w/ you. but you are way off on this. the east end of 89104 has yet to undergo the gentrification of the central-west central area. all you have to do is drive oakey or st. louis to see that.

i'm not saying the area is perfect, but it sure ain't what you paint it as. right near LVB and out past eastern is remarkably different than the central area. i've lived here over a year and can say that w/ confidence. and i have gone drinking w/ the good dr and walked home from LVB w/o incident (a walk i have made many other times). no dogs, no arms.... you know what i meant

Old 11-21-2008, 10:00 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,058,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
hey capt...usually i agree w/ you. but you are way off on this. the east end of 89104 has yet to undergo the gentrification of the central-west central area. all you have to do is drive oakey or st. louis to see that.

i'm not saying the area is perfect, but it sure ain't what you paint it as. right near LVB and out past eastern is remarkably different than the central area. i've lived here over a year and can say that w/ confidence. and i have gone drinking w/ the good dr and walked home from LVB w/o incident (a walk i have made many other times). no dogs, no arms.... you know what i meant
Well I would agree that Huntridge is reasonable...though still higher in activity than the east end to the east of 95. And the primary problems are burglaries and kids. So little risk to the person.

However the action is on the Blvd and those streets close to it. And that is the east end of 89104. This is a general pattern true most places...the action is on the arterials.

Perhaps I should rephrase to OK to walk a mile from the Blvd...but don't get closer than a half mile to it. And pretty much stay off Charleston and Sahara.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas