Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 12:43 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

What I miss most about Phoenix is the soil. You can grow virtually anything there with the richest soil imaginable. Having moved from Minnesota to Phoenix I went to a highly rated Nursery and saw all the Zone 9 plants I could grow there and went wild with their extra-large inner city yards and ended up growing almost 100 different plants, you name it, I had it. On the down side is the utility bills were much, much higher and the wages were lower and the sprawl of the city can't even be put into words! And the police was another factor in my moving here, they seem to be everywhere, just looking for some excuse to give you a ticket. After my 2nd ticket in two years, enough was enough! I've been up here in Las Vegas 13 years now and not one moving violation! And that photo radar they have down there is most unnerving, you never know when you're on camera while driving around Phoenix, some cameras are imbedded into plastic cacti along the roadways. I also miss the warmer winters. Afterall, Phoenix is only 1100 feet in altitude, Vegas being 2150, makes a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 12:56 AM

638 posts, read 2,243,892 times
I agree that Phoenix is a little greener than Vegas and its nice to see some vegetation. It is also a lot cleaner than Las Vegas. The metro Phoenix area is very well put together and meticulously landscaped. Must be all of those tax dollars from speeding tickets!

I think both cities are great in their own ways. Las Vegas has an edgy and fresh vibe to it, where Phoenix feels more like a place where grandma and grandpa live. However, Phoenix also seems a little more mature and shophisticated than Las Vegas. Perhaps a little more well rounded and diverse? Not sure how to put it into words. More cultured, I guess.

I think I'd be just as happy in Phoenix as I am in Las Vegas. Both places offer the outdoor experiences I live for.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:14 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Default Where do Phoenicians come from?

About 60% of the people who move to Phoenix are from the Midwest. When I bought my home there in 1993, I soon found out that everyone of my neighbors had roots throughout the Midwest. Which makes for very friendly neighbors? With those big porches in the historic district where I lived, there was always someone stopping by to chat. Here? Huh! I've talked to my neighbor to the south twice and twice to my neighbor to the north in 12 years. The friendliness of the people I miss most about Phoenix. The composition of the people who move here is much different, 1 out of 3 from California and a huge number fromt he East Coast, notably New York. In the Phoenix paper once a week, they'll have news from Ohio, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois and so forth. The biggest population of Midwesterners are from the Chicago area. Some people have even gone so far as to call Phoenix the New Chicago.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:02 AM

638 posts, read 2,243,892 times
I might get slammed for saying this, but it is possible that everyone is a little friendlier to each other in Phoenix because people there are a little more normal?

I'm sorry, but I have never had a normal neighbor in Las Vegas. It just seems like so many of the people who move here are so weird.

Right now, the older gentleman who lives next door to me is always trying to talk to me about going to a brothel and the couple who lives on the other side of me fight so loudly that I can hear them across the walkway between our homes. They drink all day.

I tend not to engage in conversation with any of them because they all creep me out. I like to think I'm a friendly guy, but I'd rather not talk with them.

Its been like that most of the places I have lived here. It was not at all the same when I was younger and lived back east. I dont know, maybe I'M the freak!

Old 12-05-2008, 05:41 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
no...you're just Marilyn...from the Munsters.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:56 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,686,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
About 60% of the people who move to Phoenix are from the Midwest. When I bought my home there in 1993, I soon found out that everyone of my neighbors had roots throughout the Midwest. Which makes for very friendly neighbors? With those big porches in the historic district where I lived, there was always someone stopping by to chat. Here? Huh! I've talked to my neighbor to the south twice and twice to my neighbor to the north in 12 years. The friendliness of the people I miss most about Phoenix. The composition of the people who move here is much different, 1 out of 3 from California and a huge number fromt he East Coast, notably New York. In the Phoenix paper once a week, they'll have news from Ohio, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois and so forth. The biggest population of Midwesterners are from the Chicago area. Some people have even gone so far as to call Phoenix the New Chicago.
people from the east coast are very involved with their neighbors, i think its a problem with the CA and UT transplants...

Old 12-05-2008, 08:08 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
people from the east coast are very involved with their neighbors, i think its a problem with the CA and UT transplants...

I don't necessarily think that is a good thing either. Too much either way stinks.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:14 PM

33 posts, read 116,227 times
Vegas baby!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas