Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:45 PM
jpk jpk started this thread

531 posts, read 1,863,813 times

Advertisements

Newbie to Vegas, so any recommendations on the New Years activities? Best places to watch fireworks? Best places to have fun in general?

I gather that each hotel nightclub has parties, but tickets are expensive and it seems you're stuck in a small club all night. Maybe there are other attractions in the hotels? I've heard that Fremont St has an outdoor party, not sure if you need tickets.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:11 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
We did the NY party for years. Stopped the last couple as we were no longer able to get deals. This year may be different.

We like the mob scene on the strip. We stay someplace down there and eat good. Ideal is late at Mon Ami Gabi. Then we wonder around watch the fireworks, drink a little too much and then go to bed by 1:30 or so.

Its a crazy crew but reasonably rational. The cops are out in force and in pretty good control.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:30 AM

444 posts, read 1,615,173 times
So, where do we go and how much should we expect to spend? Thanks in advance! Good thread question.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:16 AM

20 posts, read 55,705 times
I don't do the party scene on NYE, and have no interest in the angry mob on the strip, so last year I went to Lawrie's on Flamingo. After a late prime rib dinner we stood in the parking lot and watched 5 different firework displays on the strip. It was a great spot.

This year my friends and I are planning the same thing.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSLove View Post
I don't do the party scene on NYE, and have no interest in the angry mob on the strip, so last year I went to Lawrie's on Flamingo. After a late prime rib dinner we stood in the parking lot and watched 5 different firework displays on the strip. It was a great spot.

This year my friends and I are planning the same thing.

I disagree...it is a mob but a very friendly one. As to where anywhere on the strip I would try to end up around Bellagio/Paris for the fireworks.

Try Lawrys before Christmas. Good atmosphere and very nice carolers.

We shop price. Can't get a cheap deal we don't go. Note that they often have two day minimums.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:35 PM

623 posts, read 1,817,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I disagree...it is a mob but a very friendly one. As to where anywhere on the strip I would try to end up around Bellagio/Paris for the fireworks.

Try Lawrys before Christmas. Good atmosphere and very nice carolers.

We shop price. Can't get a cheap deal we don't go. Note that they often have two day minimums.

For the most part they are friendly. 2 years ago the wife and I decided to do the strip thing on NYE, it took us 45 minutes to walk from Ballys to NYNY, once there we played and drank a bit, we went outside and it was jammed, could hardly move, and to add a funny twist, two guys were swearing at each other and wanted to fight but there was no room to and they both decided forget it and walked in seperate directions.

It takes a special kind of person to go down there and enjoy it, or perhaps I am just getting too old

Old 12-12-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
For the most part they are friendly. 2 years ago the wife and I decided to do the strip thing on NYE, it took us 45 minutes to walk from Ballys to NYNY, once there we played and drank a bit, we went outside and it was jammed, could hardly move, and to add a funny twist, two guys were swearing at each other and wanted to fight but there was no room to and they both decided forget it and walked in seperate directions.

It takes a special kind of person to go down there and enjoy it, or perhaps I am just getting too old
I feel that way when I poop out on the kiddie trail at Red Rock. Comes with too many years.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:29 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
With no money this year, I think i'm going to stay home for the first time in over 15 years.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:14 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,665,720 times
I've never been down to the Strip for New Years. I'll probably just listen to Art Bell's New Year's Predictions show.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:01 PM
jpk jpk started this thread

531 posts, read 1,863,813 times
Anyone know how the Fremont street activities compare to walking around the strip and watching fireworks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas