U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2008, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Kingman AZ
15,387 posts, read 21,556,098 times
Reputation: 8511
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post
Yes, but I don't think they'll let the OP compete in those races...
Was just correctin your comment about "the only events they do"......didnt want the newbies to get the wrong idee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2008, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
248 posts, read 763,934 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Was just correctin your comment about "the only events they do"......didnt want the newbies to get the wrong idee
If you read my original comment correctly, I mentioned it as the only event for the general public as the OP was looking for track events to participate in and not just spectate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Centennial Hills
2,013 posts, read 4,369,590 times
Reputation: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post
If you read my original comment correctly, I mentioned it as the only event for the general public as the OP was looking for track events to participate in and not just spectate.
Actually I'm pretty sure that they have auto-x down there as well as shifter karts and I have seen bikes on the (very) short circuit there as well. Of course not to mention driving schools and what not. I would much rather go to Spring Mountaing though and drive a real circuit as opposed to some small 1 mile go kart track being passed off as a circuit and I definitely don't care about living 1/4 mile at a time.

Actually what I'd really like to do is get a Radical SR3, take the Radical DE and get licensed and start competing in SCCA Radical events. Of course that shoulde only cost about 3 times the monthly dues at Victory Lane just to maintain (still need to win the lottery). I showed my wife and she is into that spot as well. She likes horses and even said she would take up golf, not to mention a big fat house and minimum 3 acres.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
248 posts, read 763,934 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
Actually I'm pretty sure that they have auto-x down there as well as shifter karts and I have seen bikes on the (very) short circuit there as well. Of course not to mention driving schools and what not. I would much rather go to Spring Mountaing though and drive a real circuit as opposed to some small 1 mile go kart track being passed off as a circuit and I definitely don't care about living 1/4 mile at a time.
I was waiting for someone to bring this up... lol

I was keeping my comments inline with what the original poster was looking for. He was looking for events to drive his Porsche, so I did not include the other vehicle events, which I was aware of. As far as Auto-X, can anyone just show up and do those, or do you need to be signed up with SCCA to participate?

I know that I've seen some auto-x courses set up in casino parking lots before. Specifically I saw one set up at Sunset Station before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Centennial Hills
2,013 posts, read 4,369,590 times
Reputation: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post
I was waiting for someone to bring this up... lol

I was keeping my comments inline with what the original poster was looking for. He was looking for events to drive his Porsche, so I did not include the other vehicle events, which I was aware of. As far as Auto-X, can anyone just show up and do those, or do you need to be signed up with SCCA to participate?

I know that I've seen some auto-x courses set up in casino parking lots before. Specifically I saw one set up at Sunset Station before.
I couldn't tell you. I've always used my car as a daily so the thought of doing something like that has always made me a little nervous. However, I'm pretty sure you can just show up and auto-x although I am not positive. On another note I saw the listing for that RS4. Nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
248 posts, read 763,934 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
On another note I saw the listing for that RS4. Nice!
Yeah, it's now listed as "sale pending"... Unfortunately not because of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Centennial Hills
2,013 posts, read 4,369,590 times
Reputation: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post
Yeah, it's now listed as "sale pending"... Unfortunately not because of me.
I figured it wouldn't last long at that price. I'm surprised that the Imola Red Competition Package is still there, not to mention the Interlagos Blue ZCP's at Desert for $31K and Luxury for $29K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2008, 12:07 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
248 posts, read 763,934 times
Reputation: 103
Maybe I'll just pick up a Smart Car and drop in a hayabusa engine, lol. Call me crazy, but I kind of like the looks of the Smart Cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2008, 07:40 AM
 
84 posts, read 192,718 times
Reputation: 27
The Radical is a neat car..................you can pick one up in $30-$45K range and are a real race car. The problem is the fixed on-going maintenance required.

The 1300 and 1500cc engines and sequential shift boxes should be refreshed every 30 hours of racing and that runs somewhere around $3000.

One good thing about these cars in the Vegas area is that Spring Mountain is one of the few on-site dealers and service shops. They can perform all work at the track location. But, man, they are fun to drive. The closest thing to a formula car us mortals can drive.

I got a ride in the V8 version (0-60 in 2 seconds) and they are awesome!!!!

My Porsche is my daily driver as well, but use it in DEs and also have a momentum car (Miata) built for track days.

Glad to see some interest in my post. I don't see many subjects like this on City-Data.

Be safe and keep it on on fours!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2008, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Centennial Hills
2,013 posts, read 4,369,590 times
Reputation: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post
Maybe I'll just pick up a Smart Car and drop in a hayabusa engine, lol. Call me crazy, but I kind of like the looks of the Smart Cars.
You're crazy. Seriously. I like your idea though, have you seen video of Gixxer Kart?

On another note You got me looking at the LM site yesterday. Did you know '06 M5's are going in the low to mid $40K range now? I would probably get an E60 M5 before an RS4 unless fuel consumption was an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneytoon View Post
The Radical is a neat car..................you can pick one up in $30-$45K range and are a real race car. The problem is the fixed on-going maintenance required.

The 1300 and 1500cc engines and sequential shift boxes should be refreshed every 30 hours of racing and that runs somewhere around $3000.

One good thing about these cars in the Vegas area is that Spring Mountain is one of the few on-site dealers and service shops. They can perform all work at the track location. But, man, they are fun to drive. The closest thing to a formula car us mortals can drive.

I got a ride in the V8 version (0-60 in 2 seconds) and they are awesome!!!!

My Porsche is my daily driver as well, but use it in DEs and also have a momentum car (Miata) built for track days.

Glad to see some interest in my post. I don't see many subjects like this on City-Data.

Be safe and keep it on on fours!!!!
Thanks for the feedback on the Radicals. Very few cars that can touch that, IMO. I didn't realize that the engine and tranny refresh was so inexpensive (relatively speaking of course). Still, add to that storage, other maintenance such as brakes and tires, fuel, plus track day fees and race fees if you are actually licensed and racing and you have quite the expensive habit. Are you SCCA licensed? Is the Miata spec and have you competed at all in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top