Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 10:48 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,331,080 times
"Steady extra" is a euphemism for slave labor with no worker rights, or benefits. Don't feel bad, LV growth will prove the majority of resort employees to land in the same boat as yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 08:00 PM

162 posts, read 467,428 times
OK, ENOUGH GUESSING GUYS, I ACTUALLY KNOW THE ANSWER...

I am a Union steady extra as well, for a restaurant at the Bellagio. I was hired in May as a full-time employee, and at that time I was guaranteed 40 hours/week. In the middle of November, as we started to slow, I was put on "steady extra" status, and told that I would get pretty much 0 hours until January when the season came back into swing. THE VERY FIRST WEEK I DIDN'T GET FULL-TIME STATUS, I WAS ELIGIBLE FOR UNEMPLOYMENT.

As soon as you register(do it over the phone, it takes much more time but you get paid quicker) you just need to call in every Sunday to receive benefits for that week. I'm too tired and lazy to post the full How-To and all the details right now, but if you need details, either PM me or just reply, and I'll post for all to see.

As it is, I am eligible for $393/week, which isn't bad at all... So like I said if you want all the info just say so

Old 01-01-2009, 08:11 PM

8 posts, read 59,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeBack_Kid View Post
OK, ENOUGH GUESSING GUYS, I ACTUALLY KNOW THE ANSWER...

I am a Union steady extra as well, for a restaurant at the Bellagio. I was hired in May as a full-time employee, and at that time I was guaranteed 40 hours/week. In the middle of November, as we started to slow, I was put on "steady extra" status, and told that I would get pretty much 0 hours until January when the season came back into swing. THE VERY FIRST WEEK I DIDN'T GET FULL-TIME STATUS, I WAS ELIGIBLE FOR UNEMPLOYMENT.

As soon as you register(do it over the phone, it takes much more time but you get paid quicker) you just need to call in every Sunday to receive benefits for that week. I'm too tired and lazy to post the full How-To and all the details right now, but if you need details, either PM me or just reply, and I'll post for all to see.

As it is, I am eligible for $393/week, which isn't bad at all... So like I said if you want all the info just say so
So pretty much I'll just have to call the unemployment center.
I was offered to work 40 hours this week. But I think it's only because of the New Year parties. $393 is not bad at all. Will that amount deducted from the tax return next year?

Old 01-01-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvolus View Post
So pretty much I'll just have to call the unemployment center.
I was offered to work 40 hours this week. But I think it's only because of the New Year parties. $393 is not bad at all. Will that amount deducted from the tax return next year?
Ummmm..... If you are offered 40 hours, you can't get unemployment; PERIOD. The whole deal with unemployment is that you have to be looking for work, be able to work, and NOT TURN DOWN ANY WORK.

I asked this exact question, and Sorry buddy, but if you are offered the hours, you are automatically exempted from unemployment.

And to answer your other questions, 100% of unemployment is taxable..

Old 01-02-2009, 12:11 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Like I told you before, do not take any one's advice on unemployment except for the people who work in unemployment, and at least 30% of them will be wrong 30% of the time. And that's being kind. How do I know? I retired from there a couple of years ago. And in all the time I worked there I heard from people every single day that so and so (friend, brother, wife, husband, employer, whoever) told me this or that. They were NEVER RIGHT...EVER. NO ONE outside of the unemployment claims office knows enough about it to ever give a correct answer. That said, I also know that no one ever listens to the advice of the actual claims examiners because they aren't being told what they want to hear.

I assume you didn't take my advice and file your claim before the end of the 4th quarter because you went back to work this week? If you've been off since November you may or may not have lost some of your benefits for next year by not filing before the end of December, but you'll probably be alright this year.

First of all, yes unemployment is considered income and you report it on your tax returns...but with no more income than that you probably won't be paying too much in taxes anyway. Most people check NO when they ask if you want the state to deduct taxes out of unemployment checks. It depends on your tax situation. I would personally want my whole check if I was unemployed so I'd say no to the deduction myself.

Once you open your claim you begin a Benefit Year. During that year you should be eligible for 26 weeks of benefits if you had enough regular earnings. You need to have had earnings in at least three of the four quarters. If your only earnings were in two of the four it's still possible depending on how much you made in the lowest quarter, but that's getting too complicated.

During any week you don't work you would receive the full benefit. During weeks that you earn less than your benefit amount you can file for a partial. Of you're eligible for $393 a week and you make $392 or less you'd get a partial and it's not one to one so it's usually worth filing for it. Each time you return to work, even for an hour, your claim stops. If you work a day this week, and you're not working next week, you'd have to reopen the claim for next week. As long as you don't work at all you file weekly by phone but you don't need to talk to anyone if you didn't work so it's no big deal. A week is not what your employer considers a work week. An unemployment week is Sunday at 12:01am to Saturday at 12:00am. And you do not wait until you get paid to report earnings. You report them in the week you earn them even if your employer skips out and never pays you.

To be eligible for unemployment you must be able to work (not sick), available for work if work is offered, and actively seeking work each and every week. Most people are required to contact at least three employers and look for work at least three days every week. If you are in a union with a hiring hall, that is the way you look for work...by calling the union and following union rules. If your employer gives you a temporary lay off and gives you an EXACT DATE to return to work within a certain amount of time (I forget what it is...I think it used to be 21 days, but you'd have to ask), then you don't have to look for work any more. But if the employer changes his mind and you don't go back to work at the end of that time, you'll have to report what happened and then start looking for work someplace else.

If you aren't working next week you should file your claim and get it started. There is no waiting week in Nevada and it is not retroactive. It starts the Sunday of the week you file even if you don't file until Friday. But if you wiat until Friday you'll be on hold for hours because there are thousands of people in Las Vegas who are on call and they always wait until Friday to call in their claim in case they work that week.

If you file next week your claim will be based on your earnings broken down into quarters from roughly October 2007 through September 2008. The highest quarter earnings determines your weekly benefit, and the total of all four quarters determines how many weeks you'll be eligible for this year when you aren't working.

If you think this is complicated you should try doing claims and needing to know all the complex laws not only of Nevada, but all 50 states too. There are hundreds of little nuances and complicated rules that I haven't tried to explain here. That's why you never take anyone's advice...even mine. CALL UNEMPLOYMENT. They won't steer you wrong and they will be helpful. It's their job to help you collect your unemployment INSURANCE, not to prevent you from collecting.

WHEW! I'm done.

Last edited by Buzz123; 01-02-2009 at 12:23 AM..

Old 01-02-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeBack_Kid View Post
Ummmm..... If you are offered 40 hours, you can't get unemployment; PERIOD. The whole deal with unemployment is that you have to be looking for work, be able to work, and NOT TURN DOWN ANY WORK.

I asked this exact question, and Sorry buddy, but if you are offered the hours, you are automatically exempted from unemployment.

And to answer your other questions, 100% of unemployment is taxable..
I doubt if they put it exactly that way. If you turn down an offer of work you may be disqualified for a certain period of time unless you had a really good and provable reason to do so...like your doctor gave you a letter in writing that it would be bad for your health to shovel manure or something. There is rarely any good reason for an unemployed person to turn down a job in the eyes of the state. If you went back to work for a week and then placed on call again, then you could get partial or full benefits the following week(s).

Old 01-02-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
"Steady extra" is a euphemism for slave labor with no worker rights, or benefits. Don't feel bad, LV growth will prove the majority of resort employees to land in the same boat as yourself.
I think half of this town is on the "extra board" but they still work full time.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:17 AM

8 posts, read 59,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Like I told you before, do not take any one's advice on unemployment except for the people who work in unemployment, and at least 30% of them will be wrong 30% of the time. And that's being kind. How do I know? I retired from there a couple of years ago. And in all the time I worked there I heard from people every single day that so and so (friend, brother, wife, husband, employer, whoever) told me this or that. They were NEVER RIGHT...EVER. NO ONE outside of the unemployment claims office knows enough about it to ever give a correct answer. That said, I also know that no one ever listens to the advice of the actual claims examiners because they aren't being told what they want to hear.

I assume you didn't take my advice and file your claim before the end of the 4th quarter because you went back to work this week? If you've been off since November you may or may not have lost some of your benefits for next year by not filing before the end of December, but you'll probably be alright this year.

First of all, yes unemployment is considered income and you report it on your tax returns...but with no more income than that you probably won't be paying too much in taxes anyway. Most people check NO when they ask if you want the state to deduct taxes out of unemployment checks. It depends on your tax situation. I would personally want my whole check if I was unemployed so I'd say no to the deduction myself.

Once you open your claim you begin a Benefit Year. During that year you should be eligible for 26 weeks of benefits if you had enough regular earnings. You need to have had earnings in at least three of the four quarters. If your only earnings were in two of the four it's still possible depending on how much you made in the lowest quarter, but that's getting too complicated.

During any week you don't work you would receive the full benefit. During weeks that you earn less than your benefit amount you can file for a partial. Of you're eligible for $393 a week and you make $392 or less you'd get a partial and it's not one to one so it's usually worth filing for it. Each time you return to work, even for an hour, your claim stops. If you work a day this week, and you're not working next week, you'd have to reopen the claim for next week. As long as you don't work at all you file weekly by phone but you don't need to talk to anyone if you didn't work so it's no big deal. A week is not what your employer considers a work week. An unemployment week is Sunday at 12:01am to Saturday at 12:00am. And you do not wait until you get paid to report earnings. You report them in the week you earn them even if your employer skips out and never pays you.

To be eligible for unemployment you must be able to work (not sick), available for work if work is offered, and actively seeking work each and every week. Most people are required to contact at least three employers and look for work at least three days every week. If you are in a union with a hiring hall, that is the way you look for work...by calling the union and following union rules. If your employer gives you a temporary lay off and gives you an EXACT DATE to return to work within a certain amount of time (I forget what it is...I think it used to be 21 days, but you'd have to ask), then you don't have to look for work any more. But if the employer changes his mind and you don't go back to work at the end of that time, you'll have to report what happened and then start looking for work someplace else.

If you aren't working next week you should file your claim and get it started. There is no waiting week in Nevada and it is not retroactive. It starts the Sunday of the week you file even if you don't file until Friday. But if you wiat until Friday you'll be on hold for hours because there are thousands of people in Las Vegas who are on call and they always wait until Friday to call in their claim in case they work that week.

If you file next week your claim will be based on your earnings broken down into quarters from roughly October 2007 through September 2008. The highest quarter earnings determines your weekly benefit, and the total of all four quarters determines how many weeks you'll be eligible for this year when you aren't working.

If you think this is complicated you should try doing claims and needing to know all the complex laws not only of Nevada, but all 50 states too. There are hundreds of little nuances and complicated rules that I haven't tried to explain here. That's why you never take anyone's advice...even mine. CALL UNEMPLOYMENT. They won't steer you wrong and they will be helpful. It's their job to help you collect your unemployment INSURANCE, not to prevent you from collecting.

WHEW! I'm done.
wow. thank you for your time typing these info.
i didnt call unemployment center because i got called in to work.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvolus View Post
wow. thank you for your time typing these info.
i didnt call unemployment center because i got called in to work.
Thought so. It's better to work than to collect unemployment, even if the pay is the same. But still, you need to protect your benefits, so don't put it off when you're laid off.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post

WHEW! I'm done.
Buzz123 is contradicting himself; Buzz says not to listen to anyones advice, so ignore him as well... In fact, when you call unemployment don't listen to them either; they can't be trusted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas