U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 8,147 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I received my first ticket ever on December 6. I was only going 5 over-40 in a 35 zone on my way to work. When the officer gave me the ticket he said "You're lucky, I only got you going 5 over." For some reason, I initially took this to mean that I hadn't gotten a ticket-since I had never gotten one before, I didn't know how it all worked. So here's my problem-I thought I had to wait 14 business days to call or do anything about it and with the holidays and work being busy, I've kinda run out of time. The day I'm supposed to appear in court is Jan 5. I saw some other advice on here to contact Attorney Craig Kenny, but it is a holiday today and that doesn't give me 3 business days before my court date to drop it off to him. I also work on my court date. Any advise from anyone on how I should handle this? I want to avoid paying the whole $190 fee and getting points especially since it was only for 5 over. Please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 03:31 PM

15,756 posts, read 33,364,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmelode View Post
Hi everyone. I received my first ticket ever on December 6. I was only going 5 over-40 in a 35 zone on my way to work. When the officer gave me the ticket he said "You're lucky, I only got you going 5 over." For some reason, I initially took this to mean that I hadn't gotten a ticket-since I had never gotten one before, I didn't know how it all worked. So here's my problem-I thought I had to wait 14 business days to call or do anything about it and with the holidays and work being busy, I've kinda run out of time. The day I'm supposed to appear in court is Jan 5. I saw some other advice on here to contact Attorney Craig Kenny, but it is a holiday today and that doesn't give me 3 business days before my court date to drop it off to him. I also work on my court date. Any advise from anyone on how I should handle this? I want to avoid paying the whole $190 fee and getting points especially since it was only for 5 over. Please help!!
Just go to the pay window tommorrow and they will handle it. Be prepared to pay whatever they fee is. They will drop it to a parking ticket and take your money. No big deal. That is what the Attorney does with these. So just do it yourself. The above applies to Metro/City of LV. I don't know the other jurisdictions. I suspect they are the same though.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:18 AM

9 posts, read 25,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmelode View Post
It would be worth your time and money to call one of the ticket attorneys in the phone book. Most of them have holiday hours. It really doesn't matter which one, they all function pretty much the same, and it's simple work for them. We called the $45 one - can't remember the name, sorry - when my husband got a 10 mph over the limit ticket a year ago. He also got an expired license ticket because we were new here and having trouble smogging our old car. The attorney got the two tickets' fees down from $450.00 to something like $125.00 and NO POINTS. That is the main thing, because points will cost you for years on your insurance. No matter how small the fine, call an attorney!

Last edited by SusanNV; 01-02-2009 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 01-02-2009, 11:03 AM

15,756 posts, read 33,364,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanNV View Post
It would be worth your time and money to call one of the ticket attorneys in the phone book. Most of them have holiday hours. It really doesn't matter which one, they all function pretty much the same, and it's simple work for them. We called the $45 one - can't remember the name, sorry - when my husband got a 10 mph over the limit ticket a year ago. He also got an expired license ticket because we were new here and having trouble smogging our old car. The attorney got the two tickets' fees down from $450.00 to something like $125.00 and NO POINTS. That is the main thing, because points will cost you for years on your insurance. No matter how small the fine, call an attorney!

It is automatic on the low mph speeding tickets. You just ask at the window. Expired violations are a more serious problem. Then you do need a lawyer or to actually go to court. They are genedrally reduced greatly if you have fixed the problem.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:05 PM

391 posts, read 1,601,271 times
Read the back of the ticket. Some states will expunge the ticket (read: it never happened) if you attend a safe driving course. Hard to believe, but I once got out of a $135 ticket I had no business getting out of for $35 and 1.5 hours of an online safe driving school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas