Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 03:33 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
If you want to see what makes schools good you need look mostly at one number in the Achievement report...what is the transiency of the school?
Did olecapt really just mention the "T" word???? I thought your feeling was that there was no proof to LV being a transient city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 03:51 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Did olecapt really just mention the "T" word???? I thought your feeling was that there was no proof to LV being a transient city?
Every school has a transiency number. Lower Socio-economic schools always have a problem with transiency. That however has nothing to do with Las Vegas being transient.

I still no of no fact that indicates Las Vegas is transient. Though it may have well become so over the past two years.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:57 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
I still no of no fact that indicates Las Vegas is transient.
this is too good to pass up.......how about KNOW

anyway....there may well be no figures to back it up but the transiency of Las Vegas is the reason that so many employers don't want to consider newcomers.....too many don't last past the first summer.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
this is too good to pass up.......how about KNOW

anyway....there may well be no figures to back it up but the transiency of Las Vegas is the reason that so many employers don't want to consider newcomers.....too many don't last past the first summer.
I do that one about once a week. Normally I pick it up and correct it before anyone else catches me. I have always done it but it gets worse as I get older.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:23 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
As a teacher myself, but in another country, I am absolutely horrified of the prospect of ever teaching in the United States.

First off, there are so many numerous discipline and social and mental problems...that the idea of actually 'teaching' something just doesn't seem that realistic. Then in addition to all of the immense problems, you also get paid incredibly poorly. I think that lethal combination of things makes anyone even remotely interested in teaching, seriously shy away from it.

In addition, even reading the posts here. This idea that teachers are too lazy or not good enough to teach, they shouldn't be paid properly (and I've heard that argument often in the U.S. across the nation), just contributes to my feeling that I would never ever want to subject myself to teaching in my own country.

Teaching over here in Asia, I find students STRONGLY value education, and are actually very interested in learning. Having been a typical product of the U.S. education myself, and a naturally good student (based on the fact I didn't have any mental, emotional, disturbance problems like many U.S. kids do), I did quite well in school. Ironic since I never cared about school, never brought a book home, never wanted to do well, ridiculed school like all the rest of the kids, and just skated through with good grades with zero effort and zero interest. If I grew up in Asia, I would've failed and never got into college. But back in the U.S., I had non-existant study habits, graduated with a solid B average, and got into a good state school no problem, and then began to study for the first time and learn basic school-related skills.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
As a teacher myself, but in another country, I am absolutely horrified of the prospect of ever teaching in the United States.

First off, there are so many numerous discipline and social and mental problems...that the idea of actually 'teaching' something just doesn't seem that realistic. Then in addition to all of the immense problems, you also get paid incredibly poorly. I think that lethal combination of things makes anyone even remotely interested in teaching, seriously shy away from it.

In addition, even reading the posts here. This idea that teachers are too lazy or not good enough to teach, they shouldn't be paid properly (and I've heard that argument often in the U.S. across the nation), just contributes to my feeling that I would never ever want to subject myself to teaching in my own country.

Teaching over here in Asia, I find students STRONGLY value education, and are actually very interested in learning. Having been a typical product of the U.S. education myself, and a naturally good student (based on the fact I didn't have any mental, emotional, disturbance problems like many U.S. kids do), I did quite well in school. Ironic since I never cared about school, never brought a book home, never wanted to do well, ridiculed school like all the rest of the kids, and just skated through with good grades with zero effort and zero interest. If I grew up in Asia, I would've failed and never got into college. But back in the U.S., I had non-existant study habits, graduated with a solid B average, and got into a good state school no problem, and then began to study for the first time and learn basic school-related skills.

Pass the grain of salt Tiger.

I too am a natural and never really worked at school until college. Than found it somewhat different. I, in fact took the 16 credits for a regent diploma in NY state in one year...against the wishes of at least some of the faculty. I might not have gotten away with it but I was the only National Merit Semi-finalist in the school so they had to be nice.

I found engineering school much more challenging. Everybody had a 140 IQ and many were better trained as students. We routinely carried over 20 credit hours to finish in four years. I ended using five for economic reason but that was probably a good thing.

The question that is called is who do you wish to teach...the bright and capable who need only light guidance and an occassional push. Or the slow and difficult and unadjusted who you have to drag kicking and screaming to knowledge.

Now I know I will, every time, opt for the brilliant. I am pretty far up the curve and I like those kids...even the ones who think they are smarter than me...which may well be true...but I control the scenario and don't play on a level field.

But that is because I am not a great teacher. Just like the stimulation of a good class. But beating basics into the slow is just below garbage collection of the things I like.

In Las Vegas sign up at the Meadows....or Adelson's high school. You will have the proper students just like in Asia.

Or if you are really a teacher you can find something downtown and get a work out from those who need it most but value it least.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:39 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Pass the grain of salt Tiger.

I too am a natural and never really worked at school until college. Than found it somewhat different. I, in fact took the 16 credits for a regent diploma in NY state in one year...against the wishes of at least some of the faculty. I might not have gotten away with it but I was the only National Merit Semi-finalist in the school so they had to be nice.

I found engineering school much more challenging. Everybody had a 140 IQ and many were better trained as students. We routinely carried over 20 credit hours to finish in four years. I ended using five for economic reason but that was probably a good thing.

The question that is called is who do you wish to teach...the bright and capable who need only light guidance and an occassional push. Or the slow and difficult and unadjusted who you have to drag kicking and screaming to knowledge.

Now I know I will, every time, opt for the brilliant. I am pretty far up the curve and I like those kids...even the ones who think they are smarter than me...which may well be true...but I control the scenario and don't play on a level field.

But that is because I am not a great teacher. Just like the stimulation of a good class. But beating basics into the slow is just below garbage collection of the things I like.

In Las Vegas sign up at the Meadows....or Adelson's high school. You will have the proper students just like in Asia.

Or if you are really a teacher you can find something downtown and get a work out from those who need it most but value it least.
And here we thought you were a realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: