Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:47 AM

33 posts, read 103,072 times

Advertisements

Unless it says not to, RIGHT TURN ON RED IS OK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 01:07 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Better road marking would require more money for special paint, labor, etc. Remember, no income taxes means less money to do things. Someone else posted it earlier today...you get what you pay for in NV.
Did you ever drive from CA on I-15 towards the NV border, and once you cross over to NV you get much better roads? You get a lot more for what you pay for in NV than CA (which has a state income tax). The roads might not be marked perfectly, but its lit up pretty well. Smoother roads with less potholes means less damage to your car and less repairs out of your pocket.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:13 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Yes potholes are nearly nonexistent here since we don't have the freezing weather with ice and snow which causes them in other areas of the country, although we do have some. One thing the highway people are pretty good about is filling in any potholes that do show up...except, for some strange reason, on the freeways. We don't have a lot of rural roads, but those we have tend to wash out in our three times a year heavy rains.

A couple of other things to get used to here is that unless marked otherwise you can make U-turns.

And when you see or hear an emergency vehicle approaching from either direction you must pull to the right and stop until it passes. Exception being that if one is approaching from the opposite side of the road and there is a complete barrier between lanes you don't have to stop. But even if there is a median that the EV could possibly drive across to get around traffic on his side, you have to stop because they can and will drive down the wrong side of the road. They would be cited if they caused an accident doing that, but most of them figure saving lives is more important than being legal. BTW: it is just wrong to cut someone off who has obeyed the law and pulled over ahead of you (and many of you do it; you know who you are).

Also, whether the speed limit is 35, 45, 65, or 75, there is NO fast lane. The limit is the same in all lanes.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:11 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
also remember surferdudess......when you see a yellow light....do not immediately slam on the brakes. NJ style cause the guy 2 cars back saw the same yellow and hit the gas to make it thru....

AND....when you see that the light is gonna turn green, you should NOT already be 1/2 block down the street.....

Remember.....counnt to three when the light turns green cause that's the number of cars that will run the red on the cross street....

Old 01-11-2009, 07:21 PM

932 posts, read 2,346,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Remember.....counnt to three when the light turns green cause that's the number of cars that will run the red on the cross street....
I saw five cars run a red light at Silverado Ranch and Eastern on Friday. Counting to only three wouldn't have been enough to avoid an accident.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:40 AM

638 posts, read 2,242,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
Did you ever drive from CA on I-15 towards the NV border, and once you cross over to NV you get much better roads? You get a lot more for what you pay for in NV than CA (which has a state income tax). The roads might not be marked perfectly, but its lit up pretty well. Smoother roads with less potholes means less damage to your car and less repairs out of your pocket.
Very true. Things open to three lanes and smooth out nice as soon as you hit state line.

Ever drive the 5 between Anaheim and LA? Huge disservice to CA tax payers. That freeway is a joke. Should have been widened 20 years ago. But thats for another forum.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:21 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
...Most intersections have left turn lights. Nothing like I encountered in Pissthecataway, NJ, when I had to drive about ten miles in one direction in order to cross over and go the other way. What's up with that? Haven't they heard of traffic signals?...
Good one...my sis lived in Piscataway for awhile, and I have to travel there sometimes for buisness...never heard it referred to as that, but I'll try and work it into my next business meeting down there.

Funny thing about those NJ jughandles...once you finally get used to them and prepare by getting in the righthand lane to make a left, NJ will throw in a normal lefthand turning lane, which you'll miss (because you were in righthand lane) and then have to travel another 5 miles to find a way to turn. And at that point you stay in the middle lane to prepare to go either way at the last minute. I think NJ just assumes that everyone lives their and knows the turning method that is approaching.

And don't ever expect a break from a NJ driver...there normal driving style is cutthroat and fast.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:14 AM

33 posts, read 103,072 times
First Henderson fatality of the year My Uncle
KTNV ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTN V.com,Action News .:. Motorcyclist dies at Wigwam & Pecos (http://www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9662034&nav=menu498_1_11 - broken link)

How's that for driving in Henderson. If you're still not convinced please look at the next link MY COUSIN a few years back also in Henderson the same TRAGEDY!

News briefs for Sept. 16, 2003 - Las Vegas Sun

Old 01-13-2009, 06:17 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Amazing twist of fate. My sympathies for your losses.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:20 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
sorry for the losses, but Warm Springs/La Cienega isn't Henderson, it is part of Enterprise, it is way outside of Henderson, which doesn't start until just east of Eastern on Warm Springs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas