Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:24 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Manhattan is stable. 700 or so units. 60 for sale. 51 have been foreclosed and resold.

I think it a bad bet for owner occupant. Only about 25% of the place is owner ocupied.

But it should be fine for a second home or a rental unit.

I would think more than enough owners are paying up to keep the place working.
I have been working with a realtor. We have ruled out Manhattan and Meridian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 11:55 PM

21 posts, read 69,080 times
pommysmommy, can you explain a bit more, on why you ruled out Manhattan and what similar type developments you did consider.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:14 AM

We ruled out Manhattan because we are purchasing a retirement home. We weren't comfortable with being surrounded by renters vs owners. Also, we were concerned about Manhattan being able to maintain services. With the Meridian, we were concerned about the litigation going on with that property. We have decided that a home would be the best fit for us. We really haven't looked at any other condos.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:29 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
And that is pretty rational. I don't see any of the strip high rise or mid rise as good owner occupants unless you work or love the strip. Generally high dark ratios....that is many units are vacant much of the time and heavy renter population for those who do live there. Very small sense of community.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:38 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amolon View Post
This is my first post, after recently coming across this forum
I have found this forum to be very informative and helpful. I wish I found it earlier, as it was the information posted here that resulted in deciding not to pursue buying in Lake Las Vegas...which I thought actually looked fabulous.

But now I have made an offer (Contingent at present) on a 1100st ft condo in the Manahttan complex on Serene.
I live in Ireland and I have being looking at buying in Vegas for quite some time...but getting in to this market, with the Vegas house prices declines seem to have have been like catching a falling knife.
Finally I have made the leap of faith (or "gamble" on Vegas bottoming soon and eventually bouncing back.. as it always seems to have done) and started to make offers. It will be a 2nd home/part time residence for me.

I would like to ask if anyone has latest information on the situation in Manahttan. I am specifically refering to
- HOA situation
- Complex standards, maintenance, landscaping etc
- Security issues, as previously mentoned
- any litigation...developer or HOA

- With the decling property values, can I expect to seel the Real Estate taxes reduced (as the complex seems to have been assessed on boom days valuations that is way out of line with todays market values).

- or in fact any general comments would be appreciated.

While my Realtor is helpful in many regards, she is not up to speed on these matters

I do like the facilities and feel of this complex, and its relative closeness to the strip. I hope it is a
good choice, but please weigh in with any information/views.
No matter where you purchase, HOA's run a risk of having to raise their fees due to the high foreclosure rate in their communities,so folks that live there may end up having the HOA fees raised to compensate for the condos the fees are being paid on.

Also some communities have had their HOA's go bankrupt, when you put in an offer there will be an HOA demand that will disclose any litigate ect and when you get that if find out it has a problem you don't want to get involved in you can back out, make sure that your agent has you covered on that. Also since when you make an offer you should be paying a title company to look into the property to see if there is any un paid leins or other litigation against the property. Don't take short cuts if your paying cash.
Also have an inspection, you don't know what the previous owner could have done, and also have a mold inspection you wouldn't think it's a problem in Vegas but it is, and since your sharing walls and floors someone elses condo could have had a leak and it effects your condo. I am going through that right now with a condo my client wants to purchase, it looked like dirt on the wall but the inspector found it and said to have a mold inspection and gues what it's mold so we are working with the seller the bank to take care of it.

Highrise condos typically have a higher investor ownership than a primary ownership so you will have a higher number of renters around you.

Good Luck

Old 06-28-2009, 12:35 PM

21 posts, read 69,080 times
Thanks to all for the feedback..couple of questions.
1. Do I need an attorney to review that all is in order at closing, particularly to ensure title is clean and all liens are taken care of.

2. The title insurance I receive from the buyers selected title company, how much reliance can I place on it. Do I need to engage someone to do my own title work.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolon View Post
Thanks to all for the feedback..couple of questions.
1. Do I need an attorney to review that all is in order at closing, particularly to ensure title is clean and all liens are taken care of.

2. The title insurance I receive from the buyers selected title company, how much reliance can I place on it. Do I need to engage someone to do my own title work.
YOu are of course always able to hire your own attorney. That said title in the west is seldom much of an issue. If worried take out the secondary title policy you will be offered at closing. It covers a few odd ball situations that are unlikely and often also has the right to move the ownership to a trust without further fees. Ask the escrow officer.

Title companies generally make good on their mistakes without much trouble. It does not happen very often.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:23 PM

Somebody made a side request for the rents. 900 to 1000 for the 1/1, 1200 to 1300 for the 2/2 and maybe 1600 for the 3s.

garages add and likely views do as well.

Mostly rent in less than 60 days. They are however price sensitive. So price at the high end of the range at your own risk. I don't care how good the strip view is you can't get 1300 for a 1/1.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Somebody made a side request for the rents. 900 to 1000 for the 1/1, 1200 to 1300 for the 2/2 and maybe 1600 for the 3s.

garages add and likely views do as well.

Mostly rent in less than 60 days. They are however price sensitive. So price at the high end of the range at your own risk. I don't care how good the strip view is you can't get 1300 for a 1/1.
I don't understand why people would pay so much rent when they can own for the same monthly payment.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,564 times
Does anyone have any recent info on the Manhattan complex. We are from Canada and have put an offer in on a unit. Closing is June 14th. Anything we absolutely SHOULD know before buying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas