Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:18 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,238 times

Advertisements

The question always comes up about moving to Las Vegas and what it is like living in Las Vegas, here is what an article in LVRJ Had to say: HEAVEN ON EARTH: New Las Vegas residents (and there are many) say positives far outweigh negatives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 10:48 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times
Wonderful article. I guess it sums up what all us happy, successful locals have been saying...

Thanks for posting it kalbo...

Old 01-16-2009, 10:52 AM

90 posts, read 316,693 times
Having lived everywhere from Hawaii to Alaska, the Midwest, the Southwest, and had long-term and short-term visits to many other places around the world - I can honestly say that there is no such thing as a perfect place to live. IMO, everyplace except Hawaii had at least a few months out of the year that were unpleasant climate-wise - whether too hot, too cold, or too rainy. It all depends on what you like. I prefer a mix of seasons, but realize that while LV doesn't have cold or snowy winters except for rare events - you can still get up to Mt. Charleston or drive up to Utah for great snow in a short amount of time. Some people really love the blazing hot summers - but for those who don't (like myself) - once again, you can get up in elevation, jump in a pool, or focus on indoor activities during that time of year. My only real gripe with LV is the overall small size of the yards - but that is coming from someone who likes yard work and gardening, wants elbow room, and prefers the live and let live aspect of country life. For people who are already city-folk, LV will probably offer you everything you want and more. For people like myself, I look at it as the chance to take part in all those great outdoor desert and mountain activities while still having access to the amenities of a large city. So if you go to LV expecting a perfect place to live with no downside - you will be disappointed. If you go with a bad attitude expecting to hate it, you probably will. If you make the most of the good depending on what you consider "good" then you will be able to at least accept, adapt to, or overlook the "bad". But then, I'm finding that that applies to anyplace you live. I would advise people to come with a realistic expectation of the economy and work situation, though. If you do your research and plan ahead - you will probably enjoy it. This comes from someone who has lived in LV, currently does not, but is moving back due to a job - so I've seen different sides of the issue.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:53 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Excellent post! I can't imagine living in Alaska.. isn't there a time when there is no sun or the sun is always out?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:15 PM

90 posts, read 316,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Excellent post! I can't imagine living in Alaska.. isn't there a time when there is no sun or the sun is always out?
You will have both periods of sun and darkness varying drastically depending on the time of year and how far north you are. We lived 40 miles north of Anchorage and in the winter we got about 4-5 hours of what I would call daylight with longer periods of twighlight-like light on either end of that - but yeah, quite a bit of darkness. On the other hand, in the summer I've been gardening and playing volleyball at 1am in full daylight. Its pretty cool once you get used to it. Alaska is one of those places you either love or hate. I loved it, but then I'm a wildlife and outdoor nut - and I do like winter. The other bonus about winter up there is that the Northern Lights are awesome! The longer I've been out of there, though, the less I tolerate extreme cold - it was no big deal to be out at 10 below when I was up there, but having that same temp today in Ohio, I'm freezing my butt off. Kind of like I know that after the first summer or two in LV, 105+ doesn't seem quite as hot as that very first year.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:22 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
i spent last summer in vegas... wow.. hot but i tolerated it... you have to understand that i hate water (pool, swimming etc).. we arrived on june 23.. 3 days later, i bought a walmart 15 foot round pool, didnt care what the neighbors thought about it.. it was a necessity... 120 degrees in the shade, 140 in the pool which was in the sun..

Old 01-16-2009, 02:56 PM

35 posts, read 93,672 times
What a great article. Thanks for posting that, Kalbo. I really enjoyed reading all the peoples' stories. While I don't 100% agree that it's a heaven on earth, it definitely does have it's advantages and disadvantages. I'm a nostalgic person though, so I'm always missing the things I loved about Bloomington, IN where I moved from (like the thunderstorms, natural greenery, and all the birds I used to feed). I bet if I went back though, I'll probably get sick of the winters there pretty quickly; it may take me a couple winters, but I'm sure I'll not last more than like two before I was wishing I were back here!

Old 01-16-2009, 04:29 PM

444 posts, read 1,614,386 times
We moved here from Kitty Hawk NC to escape hurricanes. We had to leave our home 10 times in 10 years due to manditory evacuations for hurricanes. You never knew what might be left when you returned.

We don't mind the heat. Humidity combined with heat is much worse on NC coast. We do miss trees and greenery. We have had some allergy challenges. We love the availability of entertainment 24/7. Its there if ya want it and easy to ignore if you wish.

But best of all...we like the people. Here's my theories...so many people here either work in the service industry or have in the past that its just natural for them to focus on being polite...or...so many valley residents stay indoors so much due to the heat lol...they are 'really' happy to see a new face other than their family's that they are polite. Either way it works for me. We are very happy we made the move.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:03 PM

252 posts, read 905,849 times
I wouldn't say it's heaven on earth, but I have been pleasantly surprised at how much I have enjoyed living here my first year. I know it's totally trite to say, but there really is so much more to the town than the Strip and the clubs and the all night drinking. I love having Red Rocks and Mt. Chaz so close!

Old 01-16-2009, 09:10 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
The thing about Vegas heat is that it gets easier after the first few years. You start to get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas