Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 06:00 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
stereotypes are based on ignorance, not truth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 08:46 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
May I also remind you that not all stereotypes are bad things? When you think of the word stereotype you automatically think of bad things... that's not true. There are stereotypes about police officers helping people, someone in a firefighter uniform is brave, Chinese people are great at math, etc.

American journalist Walter Lippmann coined the metaphor, calling a stereotype a "picture in our heads" saying "Whether right or wrong, ...imagination is shaped by the pictures seen... Consequently, they lead to stereotypes that are hard to shake."

I bet you also didn't know that researchers believe it's in our nature to stereotype, did you? Well, here's a great article for you to read about it:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2442521&page=1

They even have a test you can take to show YOU stereotype too. We all do!

It's just amazing how you are stereotyping about stereotyping. :-)

Last edited by RedWingsFan; 03-12-2007 at 08:57 PM..

Old 03-12-2007, 10:43 PM

Site all the links you want, I've seen some like them before. lvkewlkid's statement that "stereotypes are based on ignorance, not truth" can be best shown by the illustration used:

"All Chinese people are great at math."

Yes, it may not necessarily be derogatory but that reference are the "words" of a bigot.

I respectfully ask that you look up that word in the dictionary.

Thank you.

--'rocco

Old 03-12-2007, 11:10 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
the police don't help anybody, today i was standing across the street from school on City of Las Vegas Sidewalks/Private Townhouse Property Landscaping and school police told me to leave, I wasn't doing anything but waiting for my mom, I don't even think they should have jurisdiction on private property or what is across the street from the school.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Site all the links you want, I've seen some like them before. lvkewlkid's statement that "stereotypes are based on ignorance, not truth" can be best shown by the illustration used:

"All Chinese people are great at math."

Yes, it may not necessarily be derogatory but that reference are the "words" of a bigot.

I respectfully ask that you look up that word in the dictionary.

Thank you.--'rocco
Again you are choosing to ignore the the facts.

"All Chinese people are great at math." IS a common stereotype. My point is that it's NOT a negative one and I doubt Chinese people would be offended by it. You are acting as if all stereotypes are negative in nature.

But you obviously didn't read the article I sent to you about the research. So I'll tell you what it says... psychologists have studied stereotyping and they have come to the conclusion that stereotying is a natural thing that ALL people do. Even people like YOU who think you don't. It's something that takes place in the subconscious mind without people even stopping to think about it. Read the research, you just may find it interesting that although you are downing me for stereotypes that your mind stereotypes as well. It's pure human nature to do it and according to the research ALL humans do it.

Did you know in their research that even blacks stereotyped about blacks? They would not admit to it or want that happening, but their subconcious immediately had them stereotype about blacks. So please, stop wtih the holier than thou crap, because you do it too, research has proven it.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:
the police don't help anybody, today i was standing across the street from school on City of Las Vegas Sidewalks/Private Townhouse Property Landscaping and school police told me to leave, I wasn't doing anything but waiting for my mom, I don't even think they should have jurisdiction on private property or what is across the street from the school.
The police don't help anybody? What a ridiculous line that is. They help people everyday. Maybe they just didn't help you because you didn'tneed help. Instead you were loitering, which is against the law. They told you to leave and you are bitter. Most likely the school asks them to patrol the perimiter of the school grounds. Most parents would be happy that they do. Maybe one day when you are grown up and have kids you will think it's a good idea as well. But they help a great deal of people. And... your line could also be considered a stereotype.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Again you are choosing to ignore the the facts.

"All Chinese people are great at math." IS a common stereotype. My point is that it's NOT a negative one and I doubt Chinese people would be offended by it. You are acting as if all stereotypes are negative in nature.

But you obviously didn't read the article I sent to you about the research. So I'll tell you what it says... psychologists have studied stereotyping and they have come to the conclusion that stereotying is a natural thing that ALL people do. Even people like YOU who think you don't. It's something that takes place in the subconscious mind without people even stopping to think about it. Read the research, you just may find it interesting that although you are downing me for stereotypes that your mind stereotypes as well. It's pure human nature to do it and according to the research ALL humans do it.

Did you know in their research that even blacks stereotyped about blacks? They would not admit to it or want that happening, but their subconcious immediately had them stereotype about blacks. So please, stop wtih the holier than thou crap, because you do it too, research has proven it.

Oh, I read the article ...and many like it. I never said that it is not natural to stereotype. Go back and READ what I did say.

Holier than thou crap? Am I going to say to you, stop with the narrow-minded bigoted crap that you've spewed over the last few months? You obviously have a lot of "followers" because of your enormous rep point count which I'm sure you're proud.

I'm through here ...and with you. You can have the last words and rejoice in the fact the you've won. It's sad that we have that many here that are supporting your views.

--'rocco

Old 03-13-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Oh, I read the article ...and many like it. I never said that it is not natural to stereotype. Go back and READ what I did say.

Holier than thou crap? Am I going to say to you, stop with the narrow-minded bigoted crap that you've spewed over the last few months? You obviously have a lot of "followers" because of your enormous rep point count which I'm sure you're proud.

I'm through here ...and with you. You can have the last words and rejoice in the fact the you've won. It's sad that we have that many here that are supporting your views.

--'rocco

You all jumped me for "stereotyping" and I just wanted to show you that it's a natural thing, not something wicked or evil like you act like it is.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:38 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
The police don't help anybody? What a ridiculous line that is. They help people everyday. Maybe they just didn't help you because you didn'tneed help. Instead you were loitering, which is against the law. They told you to leave and you are bitter. Most likely the school asks them to patrol the perimiter of the school grounds. Most parents would be happy that they do. Maybe one day when you are grown up and have kids you will think it's a good idea as well. But they help a great deal of people. And... your line could also be considered a stereotype.
When I'm a parent, I would be pissed because my child should be able to stand wherever they want to. I want to stand wherever I want to.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
When I'm a parent, I would be pissed because my child should be able to stand wherever they want to. I want to stand wherever I want to.
The true words of someone young... "I want what I want because I want it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas