Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 04:49 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times

Advertisements

You can get screwed here too, Monk. Just be sure to go to Pahrump, so that you won't get in trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 04:58 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
so you have nothing, where are you going to live, how are you going to eat.... you should have at least 6 months living expenses because you are not going to get a job overnight here.. i am looking myself and have found in vegas it is stages of interviews, even for minimum wage.
It doesn't matter where I go, i'll still be in the same situation.

I'll find my way.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:01 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
there's a lot of companies here that have stopped giving out full-time positions, they're not sure if they can support you for the full 40 hours or if you will go off and find another job, the employers here do not trust their employees too much and they definitely adjust hours when sales are down, which are way down here in Las Vegas...i know every place is having difficulty with finding jobs, but tourism is a big factor here and at a time where people aren't visiting so much, it may be better to find a city with something else as a big industry...cities based on tourism and cars seem to be doing the worst, even though its bad everywhere...

Old 01-28-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
You can get screwed here too, Monk. Just be sure to go to Pahrump, so that you won't get in trouble.
I'm gonna go to Vegas because i'm looking for trouble

If I wasn't looking for trouble, I would move to Nebraska or something. In the words of GW Bush, "Bring it on."

Old 01-28-2009, 05:03 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
it probably doesnt matter what anyone says, the poster will come here, not find anything, and then blame vegas and bash the board... sorry but thats the way it happens

Old 01-28-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
it probably doesnt matter what anyone says, the poster will come here, not find anything, and then blame vegas and bash the board... sorry but thats the way it happens
In my life I have lived in 14 different places, and i'm still pretty young. I'm a veteran at this. I'm no sucker.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:18 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
True...many others have done it...just pull off any I-15 exit ramp...you'll find plenty that have done the same thing.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:30 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
In my life I have lived in 14 different places, and i'm still pretty young. I'm a veteran at this. I'm no sucker.
yep can tell from your other posts

Old 01-28-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
yep can tell from your other posts
Every one of them is a masterpiece isn't it?

Seriously though, things are bad all over. Maybe Vegas is a little bit worse, but there aren't any booming places right now really. I came to Colorado thinking that the economy here would be more diverse and it might be in better shape than other places but it really isn't.

And if it Vegas doesn't work, there are planes and buses leaving every day. The key is to travel light so that you aren't tied down. I'm not moving with a family, a house and truckload of junk. I'm hitting it with a couple suitcases.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:49 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I'm about to move out to Vegas with no money, no car and no job. Let the good times roll baby!

Some of us don't have the luxery of planning things out carefully and doing it the "right way". Some of us are in a little bit more crucial circustances. When it's go time, you just have to go.

I was in your situation back in early 2005 and wound up quickly homeless the first time I moved to Vegas. I ended up going back home to Phoenix after not being able to find work. When I left for Vegas again in March 2006, I was more prepared with a decent amount of savings. Still, it took me 8 months or so to find a job... and this is a security guard job that pays less than $10 and hour. I just took what was given to me and accepted it. Also, this was in 2006 before the economy was bad. With the economy the way it is now... well you know how that goes. I wish you luck but be prepared to be living on the streets if you come here in your current predicament.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas