U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-01-2009, 02:10 PM

545 posts, read 1,364,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
There are also sports bars scattered around town oriented towards different pro teams, if you want to meet people from back home.
I have had success making friends this way. You immediately have something in common with these people because you're both from the same region of the country. Excellent ice breaker and a great way to meet new people.

Funny, most of my closer friends here who I really find a strong connection with are all loosely from the same part of the country where I am from. I think people must gather a similar consciousness growing up in the same locales.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 09:40 PM

12,252 posts, read 16,919,721 times
It's odd...how people move to a new area, try to adapt, but always call home where they came from, rather than where they chose to call home. I grew up on LI, lived there for the first 31 years of my life, but now disavow that I am an Long Islander. For the last 16 years of my life, I have lived in Beautiful Upstate NY, which I now proudly call my home and am proud to say I am an upstater, versus a Long Islander.

It's odd how many Las Vegans still refer to where they came from as 'home'.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:54 PM

545 posts, read 1,364,114 times
It is interesting. I'm not sure why that is.

It took years of living here before it felt like home. I moved out here with the notion that it was just going to be a temporary situation. Then you meet somebody, you're career starts to develop, you buy a house, and bam, six years has gone by. I still don't refer to it as home. "Back east" is where I call home. I guess thats because my family is there.

It seems normal because so many other people here are from other places and are constantly referring to "back home". I think there are only a few other cities in the US where so many people are from someplace else.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:31 AM

12,930 posts, read 19,537,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
It's odd...how people move to a new area, try to adapt, but always call home where they came from, rather than where they chose to call home. I grew up on LI, lived there for the first 31 years of my life, but now disavow that I am an Long Islander. For the last 16 years of my life, I have lived in Beautiful Upstate NY, which I now proudly call my home and am proud to say I am an upstater, versus a Long Islander.

I think its because so many people ask.

As a person who has moved around a lot...in certain cities, like when I living in NYC, everyone assumes you from somewhere else...and if you move somewhere else and try to say you just came from NYC...then they assume you grew up there, and on and on...so it stops you from saying it.

I feel compelled to tell everyone I'm from Michigan, as I grew up there, but honestly speaking, I was just a kid there, so I know almost NOTHING about it...and hate people's further inquiries/assumptions based on the fact I grew up there.

But you can't stop people from asking that dreaded question, 'where are you from?'...so not much you can do about it.

I think for you making a move from one part of NY to another part of NY...and neither where you probably have masses of other people moving to, you don't get that question all of the time.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:32 AM

3,731 posts, read 5,823,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post

The answer is simple, it's because most haven't really lived here that long..

Old 02-02-2009, 01:11 PM

90 posts, read 216,814 times
I don't know about the dating scene, but from a purely social standpoint - two words: kids and dogs. People with kids and/or dogs out in public are generally receptive to striking up conversation with others who also have kids/dogs. The local parks are the best places for this. Also, when I lived there the first time, there was a local parenting network (I don't remember the name now - it might have been "Mommy and Me" but there were plenty of dads involved too, (watch the papers for info in the community activities section from time to time). I got my then preschool age son into a playgroup through that organization and that is how I met my first friends in LV - the moms of his playgroup friends. If I were in the dating market, a guy with a dog at the park would likely be able to at least strike up a conversation with me. My husband and I used to joke about loaning our dog out to one of our single friends so he could attract the ladies :-)

Old 02-03-2009, 07:18 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,056,342 times
I tell people that I'm from Uranus, and that I'm here to fight the Klingons.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:07 AM

9,530 posts, read 14,855,414 times
i agree, kids and dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas