U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:02 AM

101 posts, read 113,063 times
Default Relocating to Las Vegas need insight on places to live

Hello to all, I will be relocating to Las Vegas in July. I am a 30yr old, Registereed Nurse. I have school aged children 5yr and 14yr. I am coming from Michigan. I presently reside in a suburb outside of Detroit. I am looking for a quiet place, to raise my children, I am of african american descent but am looking for a mixed neighborhood to live in.. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 08:59 PM

100 posts, read 204,118 times
Just moved to some apartments around Russell and Rainbow. I would reccomend anything on Russell from Decatur up to Rainbow, houses or otherwise. I have a friend at Russell and Decatur who is from Detroit actually.

I dont know anything about the schools though...

Old 02-01-2009, 09:06 PM

2,547 posts, read 3,840,341 times
Most of the neighborhoods are mixed in Vegas, which is one of it's strong points. Centennial Hills would be a good choice for you. It's the fastest growing area, and they just built a great new hospital here. DM OleCapt for the RE listings, and Daddys///M3 is a loan officer. Best of luck on your big move!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:24 PM

9,282 posts, read 13,770,179 times
watch the schools very carefully unless you intend to send to private!

Old 02-02-2009, 05:13 AM

162 posts, read 313,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrn2004 View Post
Hello to all, I will be relocating to Las Vegas in July. I am a 30yr old, Registereed Nurse. I have school aged children 5yr and 14yr. I am coming from Michigan. I presently reside in a suburb outside of Detroit. I am looking for a quiet place, to raise my children, I am of african american descent but am looking for a mixed neighborhood to live in.. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance
SEARCH BAR...Learn it. Live It. Love It.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:11 AM

9,282 posts, read 13,770,179 times
couldn't there be a sticky up top saying newbies go here or something with instructions?

Old 02-08-2009, 02:13 AM

3 posts, read 12,398 times
Hello ! I have lived in Las Vegas having moved from Chicago 12 years ago.
You will really like it however there are a few things you should know about.
1.) The drivers are awful. When you are at a light waiting for it to turn green, you need to wait 3 seconds because there are A LOT of red light runners.
2.) The neighborhoods are great. Meet your neighbors like I did and we have house parties, Christmas parties etc.
3.) The churches are packed because they cannot build them fast enough because of the growth. My church has 9000 registered families.
4.) I think you would like the Centenial Hills area. A new hospital just opened up that was already planning its expension which is underway.
5.) Schools are very overcrowded. Some classes have over 40 kids in them & I hear that there are not enough books for each student to take home. I know several people who have kids that have had no problems. Just be involved.
Plan to visit San Diego as a great family get-a-way especially when it gets hot here.
There are over 10 National Parks including the Grand Canyon ( which is beyond words in the when it is dusted with snow.) within a 4 hour drive. Also, the costs os land is about 1 million an area.
Places that have been here for a while like the WaterPark are no longer which was purchased for about 350 million dollars ( no joke ) Land on the Strip is about 30 million an area. What this means to you is less activities for kids. Just live where you have access to a pool which will be nice for them in the summer.
Mt. Charleston is great for snowboarding, skiing and even sleigh rides which is about an hour outside of Vegas.
There is something called the Millinium Scholarship where if your child graduating has I believe a 3.0 GPA, they get something like $10,000 for college in Nevada.
Help this helps...Good Luck !

Old 02-08-2009, 03:07 AM

2,404 posts, read 7,142,094 times
its a 3.25 GPA for Millennium Scholarship, but it is predicted that the NV Treasury will either run out of the money or lower the amount of money awarded or raise the GPA again, there is also a required core of classes that must be taken in HS in order to get the Millennium, which are different than HS grad requirements

not only has the waterpark been sold, but both Scandia and Mountasia closed and remember the amazing theme park at MGM too, the city just doesn't make money off of anything that caters to the under 21 crowd, or they would, but no company will open anything anymore for the underage...

very true about there not being enough books for students, in fact its hard to find a school that have books that are even up to date, my government class uses books that don't even go past Bill Clinton's first term

Old 02-08-2009, 12:01 PM

12,244 posts, read 15,858,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
very true about there not being enough books for students, in fact its hard to find a school that have books that are even up to date, my government class uses books that don't even go past Bill Clinton's first term
good thing...shields all the kids from the Monica Lewinsky story and teachers having to deal with discussions regarding what went on with cigars in The White House. Also...spares the kids for having to relive the GWBush years all over again.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:27 AM

7 posts, read 13,590 times
Hello We are travelling from Australia and would like to buy an apartment or two in Las Vegas to rent. Can you advise the best suburbs to buy in Las Vegas? Where would I got to buy an apartment as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas