U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-21-2010, 09:25 AM

15,387 posts, read 20,568,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Check out the chain link fence carefully Gomez...front fences are generally code limited in residental zones.

A neighbor will complain and they will evetually make you take it down.

The croc is legal though...Maybe you can automate the jaw...
and automate the machine gun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-22-2010, 12:49 AM

179 posts, read 188,516 times
I found several places online that sell security film and they impressed me, so now I will look into that first. Some are strong enough to stop a bullet and some strong enough to stop an explosion.

I might consider that first of all, it's invisible, nobody can complain and if it stops bullets, it would stop a burglar.

Also started thinking about the burglar alarm idea but do not know how much it would cost to have installed and how much the monthly fee would be. It might be just as effective to just get some signs from an alarm company that say one is installed and put it out front. I could even steal a burglar alarm sign from somewhere else and put it in my front yard instead, but that would make me as much a thief as the thieves I would be hoping to foil.

Another alternative is to have all the downstairs windows with furniture bolted over them from the inside, a china-cupboard over the dining room window, a set of heavy bookshelves over the living room window and then nobody could get in, nor could the heat.

If there's a fire and I can't get out alive, then at least I will have died with all my stuff intact. And I do see bumper stickers saying whoever has the most stuff, at the end, wins. It will be hard trying to explain it though to St. Peter at the golden gates when he asks me where I got that burglar alarm sign.

Just joking.

Unread 11-18-2012, 08:08 PM

558 posts, read 373,567 times
Just got a quote from Nevada Rolling Shutters (the best company in the valley that does this - the other one which shall not be named has awful reviews)

$1100 for giant sliding door to backyard (ouch)

$700 average for "normal" windows around the house

$6000 for the entire house

I'm pretty much sold on the shutters so I think I'll do the two windows that are "hidden" from view and the biggest targets (one of which is our bedroom). For the front of the house I'll go with security film.

I've used Pro-Tect Tint before and they did a great job at a reasonable price ($150 for the big living room double window) and they're an official authorized 3M dealer

Bear spray, pepper spray, chef knife, shutters, security film, exterior lights, strikemaster, alarm, taser c2, mossberg 500 tactical shotgun, charter arms 38 special

Phew, it's rough keeping your loved ones safe in this town

Unread 11-17-2013, 05:58 PM

426 posts, read 186,352 times
I had a had get broken into and vandalized. We didn't live there, we have moved to California. We were looking for someone to rent the house to and before we found anyone, the house was absolutely thrashed. It was really sad. I stopped paying for the alarm because I figured I didn't live there any more. Thinking back, security bars would have done the trick. You can always get them removed when you want yo sell the house you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas