Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 11:05 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,576,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I just hate having my news delivered to me via television, absolutely refuse to watch televised news.

Thank-you! What's the rush! I'll read about it in the paper the next day and I can take my good-old-natured time dwelling on it!
I actually really enjoy reading the paper...I used to do it all the time. Now it seems like I don't have time and when we get it, it just stacks up and I hate wasting paper. I especially love the smell of a freshly opened paper...I always take a deep breath...

So...tij what's all this garbage about leaving the best city ever?

Old 06-16-2011, 11:32 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,904,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I actually really enjoy reading the paper...I used to do it all the time. Now it seems like I don't have time and when we get it, it just stacks up and I hate wasting paper. I especially love the smell of a freshly opened paper...I always take a deep breath...

C-D taking up that time? Too bad when you log on, it doesn't smell like a freshly printed newspaper!!!

Old 06-16-2011, 11:45 PM

23,073 posts, read 28,799,187 times
Quote:

I'm turning 62 next year and I have no desire to retire here. I lived in Phoenix for 3 years, have missed the friendlier people the most, a higher proportion of people with similar roots from the Midwest, less wind in the winter, more comfortable winters.

I left Phoenix because of the over-vigilant police force and I thought if I ever returned there I would return car-less. I'm eyeing some townhouse complexes in central Phoenix a block or two from a light rail stop, and I've given up on the idea of Las Vegans ever embracing the idea of light rail here.
Phoenicians voted to increase the sales tax to pay for it, ain't never gonna happen here with the strong anti-tax sentiment here.

Las Vegas is great place if you're making enough money to get away from it, when you can. And with the Depression we've been under, I have to ask myself: Which city would I prefer to be stuck in with a reduced income?

Other factor: the increasing xeriscaping of Las Vegas. Those in Phoenix with those deep Midwestern roots ain't gonna let go of their green grass without a big fight!

I moved to an older lush-green Las Vegas townhouse complex, circa 1970, and every year more and more of the green disappears into rock. Perhaps I just can't shake my Midwestern roots, but I find it increasingly depressing, and my ferret as well!

Old 06-17-2011, 12:01 AM

Well life is too short to live somewhere that doesn't make you happy. Yeah...I always love when I'm in areas that have lusher green. I can definitely understand that. And for sure...Las Vegas is a different city if you live more on the outskirts verses in the inner part of
it. It all makes sense.

Las Vegas DEFINITELY needs light rail. It's downright ridiculous that they don't have at least a line running north and south. While visiting SLC last summer we rode the light rail downtown and up to the University of Utah...I really liked how nice it was to be able to get around that way. It's really a shame we don't have one.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
C-D taking up that time? Too bad when you log on, it doesn't smell like a freshly printed newspaper!!!
Whaaat? True, true...nothing beats that smell.

*hurries and logs off*

Old 06-17-2011, 12:20 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,904,384 times
Well, at least it is only 10 pm there...ugh...gotta go to sleep....I live here on Vegas time and it catches up with me once in a while, ya know?

Old 06-17-2011, 12:29 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,200,634 times
That's one of the things why I love Utah so much, it's nice and green! Tree's everywhere. Real grass in yards. I also hate the barren look of so-called yards here. I don't care if I'm in the desert, I want some grass! And not that fake stuff.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:10 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,200,634 times
Quote:
I'm turning 62 next year and I have no desire to retire here. I lived in Phoenix for 3 years, have missed the friendlier people the most, a higher proportion of people with similar roots from the Midwest, less wind in the winter, more comfortable winters.

I left Phoenix because of the over-vigilant police force and I thought if I ever returned there I would return car-less. I'm eyeing some townhouse complexes in central Phoenix a block or two from a light rail stop, and I've given up on the idea of Las Vegans ever embracing the idea of light rail here.
Phoenicians voted to increase the sales tax to pay for it, ain't never gonna happen here with the strong anti-tax sentiment here.

Las Vegas is great place if you're making enough money to get away from it, when you can. And with the Depression we've been under, I have to ask myself: Which city would I prefer to be stuck in with a reduced income?

Other factor: the increasing xeriscaping of Las Vegas. Those in Phoenix with those deep Midwestern roots ain't gonna let go of their green grass without a big fight!

I moved to an older lush-green Las Vegas townhouse complex, circa 1970, and every year more and more of the green disappears into rock. Perhaps I just can't shake my Midwestern roots, but I find it increasingly depressing, and my ferret as well!
Don't wait until it's too late to be where you really want to be and do the things you want to do. A good friend of my husband's, Gary G, wanted to move to New Mexico to escape the hell of Detroit. He was planning a trip to come out and see us before heading to NM. He was finally selling some paintings after barely eke-ing out a living on Social security. Finally coming out of his deep depression he had since moving back there 3 years ago. He was plagued with health problems, took too many meds. Could not walk anymore, was in a wheelchair. He came home from dinner last sunday night saying he wasn't feeling too good, and went to his room. By tuesday morning, his brother finally checked on him, but it was too late: Gary was dead at 62 from unknown causes. They think a heart attack sometime sunday night or early monday morning. We are going to his funeral on saturday morning in Detroit.

Moral of this story: We should all be doing what we want to be doing NOW, not waiting and wishing and hoping. Because for some, that day will never come. I hope you have better luck Tij. And if you do decide to move to Phoenix, stay in touch with us all here.

Talk to you all when we get back.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:32 AM

23,073 posts, read 28,799,187 times
Quote:

Las Vegas DEFINITELY needs light rail. It's downright ridiculous that they don't have at least a line running north and south. While visiting SLC last summer we rode the light rail downtown and up to the University of Utah...I really liked how nice it was to be able to get around that way. It's really a shame we don't have one.
I,too, rode every mile of SLC's light rail system last May, that view from the University is priceless!

And they're expanding the light rail to the Airport, other points, and a commuter line 40 miles south to downtown Provo!

When AARP did a survey of seniors, what do seniors want in a place they plan to retire in? Where they can be the least car dependent as possible!

If Phoenix disappoints me along the way, SLC or Denver will be my other options. Denver has a growing light rail system as well.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:23 AM

990 posts, read 1,646,711 times
Quote:
I,too, rode every mile of SLC's light rail system last May, that view from the University is priceless!

And they're expanding the light rail to the Airport, other points, and a commuter line 40 miles south to downtown Provo!

When AARP did a survey of seniors, what do seniors want in a place they plan to retire in? Where they can be the least car dependent as possible!

If Phoenix disappoints me along the way, SLC or Denver will be my other options. Denver has a growing light rail system as well.
Portland Oregon has a fantastic light rail system too. When I was there in 2007 it cost about $2 to get from the airport to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas