Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2011, 08:23 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
1. I am glad everyone enjoyed the video.

2. Regarding the speeding issue, you can do sometimes and it not being your fault. Back when I was 19, I started getting speeding tickets left and right it seemed. I got 2 with 3 months. I then took a trip to Las Vegas from Phoenix and I was extra careful to keep the car at 55mph the whole way there and back. On my way back, it was nighttime and I was tired. I still was careful, but then I suddenly noticed the car was going 70mph because of a downhill pass. I slowed back down but wouldn't you know it, I get pulled over. It was no doubt a speed trap. The cop was not interested in giving me a speeding ticket as he claimed he smelled marijuana in the car. I do not smoke marijuana or sell it so I let him search me and my car. As he found nothing, he let me go without any tickets for cooperating. The also happened to me when I moved to Reno. I was careful not to speed, but I managed to get pulled over twice when I was heading up there. Both were speed traps were the speed limit jumped from 65mph to 25mph. The first cop in Goldfield gave me a ticket, but the one in Fallon let me off with a warning.
If you do a search here on CD.com, Traffic/Speeding fines threads, or even get on Speedtrap.org, you'll soon find out how crazy it has gotten nationwide with traffic fines. Read enough of those, you won't go nowhere!

When I got my first speeding ticket, when living in Phoenix, and I went to that driver's class with a roomful of these "dangerous criminals", there was a woman there who got a ticket for going 27MPH in a 25MPH zone in Sedona!

Yes, even on Speedtrap.org, there are places in Texas, so hard up for revenue, you get tagged for 2 miles over the speed limit. What's next? Aha! Why haven't they thought of it before!!! Set the speed limit at 27MPH or 32MPH or 67MPH! Now wouldn't that be a challenge!!!

Last edited by tijlover; 10-01-2011 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 10-01-2011, 08:27 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
A resounding round of applause for the Wall Street protesters! Our rebellious Founding Fathers should be so proud of them!

Let's keep it that way: Home of the Brave!

Old 10-02-2011, 01:50 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,181 times
Personally death by penguin is the way I would like to go...

(Apologies...I get silly late at night)

Old 10-03-2011, 11:19 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Don't ask me why I feel sorry for this guy, but I do. He was a high school dropout who had a lot of drive to make himself a success. I actually bought his information package years and years ago, but I did not even try to use it. Some people who become rich do it by crooked means, and he was not an exception. Still, I am saddened by this news.

Infomercial Star Don Lapre Found Dead in Jail

Don Lapre - His Last Commercial - Real - YouTube

Old 10-03-2011, 11:52 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
On another note, this is something I like to see. I personally have not seen a strong sense of community in this city, but at least it exists in this neighborhood.

Neighbors defend burned home from looters - www.ktnv.com

Old 10-03-2011, 02:32 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
On another note, this is something I like to see. I personally have not seen a strong sense of community in this city, but at least it exists in this neighborhood.

Neighbors defend burned home from looters - www.ktnv.com
Interesting story. I think there is more of a sense of community not just in Vegas but everywhere than people may think.

You could be surprised at what your neighbors would do for you if something tragic were to happen to you (like a house fire to the family in Henderson)

I have often found that a lot of people (in Las Vegas especially) who are neighbors with one another look out for each other and are tehre for their fellow neighbors (who are also usually good friends)

Whoever said Las Vegas has no sense of community obviously never went too far beyond the strip, the furthest they may have gone was Flamingo and Decatur where the Palms and Palms Place are

Old 10-03-2011, 02:44 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Maybe an anonymous poll on Las Vegas sense of community is warranted...just to settle what the residents truly think. Voting should be for anyone that lives there or has lived there in the past. I promise...I will not vote. Keep it simple...just yes or no...In your experience, does Las Vegas have a good sense of community.

Something like that.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:46 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Las Vegas and it's sense of community for people that don't think there is one. The people that come on here and complain that there isn't any community are anti-social or they just wait around for someone else to welcome them to the neighborhood, invite them over for a bbq, whatever, and at the same time the neighbors are thinking their new neighbors are anti-social because they sit there and stare at them, not saying hi. If you want a sense of community, try harder. Get to know the people around you. Have block parties if you want, whatever it takes. Otherwise, move to a more friendly area. Living too close to the Strip will probably not get you the sense of community you want. Move way way out to the real neighborhoods. Get your butt out there and socialize. Or stay home and wallow.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:53 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Las Vegas and it's sense of community for people that don't think there is one. The people that come on here and complain that there isn't any community are anti-social or they just wait around for someone else to welcome them to the neighborhood, invite them over for a bbq, whatever, and at the same time the neighbors are thinking their new neighbors are anti-social because they sit there and stare at them, not saying hi. If you want a sense of community, try harder. Get to know the people around you. Have block parties if you want, whatever it takes. Otherwise, move to a more friendly area. Living too close to the Strip will probably not get you the sense of community you want. Move way way out to the real neighborhoods. Get your butt out there and socialize. Or stay home and wallow.
Agreed. If I see a neighbor, at the very least I will say hello to them. If they at least nod, I feel good knowing that at the very least they acknowledged me

I love to strike up conversations with people all the time. I've found that a lot of people are more friendly than you'd be led to believe

I also agree that the neighborhoods with the most community are usually further off the strip. Summerlin, CH, Aliante, most of the far west, NW, and far northern neighborhoods have more sense of community than say....oh IDK the Twain/Swenson area or Nellis/Charleston

The closer you live to 215, the better off you'll be if you're looking for a sense of community

Than again not all older developments are ghetto. Im sure there are a lot of older communities around West Central LV (dyni, opinion needed here) that have longtime neighbors who know each other and look out for one another

Old 10-03-2011, 03:41 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
One of my sister's lives two blocks from a really rough area in Riverside,CA. She bought an ancient house 9 years ago and within less than a week, all her neighbors came over and introduced themselves, some bringing cookies. They all watch each others homes while they are gone, they mow your lawn for you if you can't, just nice things like that. Now that is a nice sense of community type neighborhood. And some would say it's a sucky neighborhood for the location. Plus it's right next to the train tracks. We visited her place a few years ago, and all the home's are kept up very nicely with flowers out front, well-manicured lawns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas