Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 05:11 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I get the feeling that this is a very thorny issue in America today. I imagine many
Americans are very happy with their health care, some not so much. Here, I try to
avoid hospitals, not my favourite places. I seem to end up in one visiting sick relatives
every few years. The last time was a couple of years ago visiting my dying Aunt. I was
struck as always, by the good care she received, great dedicated staff. I always get a
good feeling that this is our NHS, there for the benefit of all who need its care.
Hospitals are actually very dangerous places. You can go in with a non infectious problem and come out with a nosocomial infection like MRSA. It's like herpes. You will never make it go away and it is highly contagious. That happened to my father-in-law on his last admission prior to his death. They discharged him to home and the infectious disease doctor called us two days later to tell us that he had MRSA and that we had to use extreme precaution. My father in law was incontinent of urine and feces after the second stroke. I used gloves of course but no extra precaution. Thankfully, I do not test positive for MRSA on my skin.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:15 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
MRSA is nasty, dangerous stuff. Be careful and cautious.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:18 PM

990 posts, read 1,653,420 times
My dad went into the hospital for a simple foot surgery. MRSA and a rectal bleed brought on by mismanaged heparin ended up in a 6 week hospital stay instead of a few days.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:14 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
I am full of admiration for people who work in hospitals. Like most people I've seen
them from all angles. I've been the proud new father in them, the grieving son, the
visitor to ill people, and the patient when ill. It's only when you are ill and worried what
is going to happen, when you really learn to appreciate the doctors, nurses, and other
staff. They have compassion, but have to not get too personally involved, especially when
looking after dying people like my Aunt. We all have a wish I think, that when our time comes, we will die at home, with our loved ones around us. In fact, most of us spend our
last days in hospitals. That's why it's so important to have a good health service, whoever
the provider is.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:26 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
I believer that health care in this country is EXCELLENT...... IF you have medical coverage..... and LOUSY if you don't......

do we need something akin to Socialized Medicine?...YES....will it ever happen?... NO....the Doctors and the Insurance Companies wont let it happen.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:56 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
"...do we need something akin to Socialized Medicine?...YES....will it ever happen?... NO....the Doctors and the Insurance Companies wont let it happen."

Bingo! I was reading a Facebook entry from a friend who is a southern Arizona ER doctor. Seems there's a trend of some dorky people now who think that if they yell and scream while in the ER they'll get treated faster. Another medical professional posted that that doesn't work 'cause they just put those people further away to get them out of sight. And out of ear-range as well!

Stupid people. How dumb. He gets spit at, cussed at, hit, you name it. I remember as a Respiratory Therapist at at least one gig where a whole mess of us had to basically tackle certain patient's who want to give us a hard time, some are very strong people, too. They get a sharp talkin' to, and usually end up getting strapped down and sometimes given a shot to make them "comfortably numb."

Hospitals are very political...nauseatingly so, actually. Nurses are forever the best tattle-talers, too. Been on the receiving end of way too many obnoxious, petty-minded nurses who really believe that helping to save lives makes them the "Dr.Kildare" of nursing, they think they're the 'Johnson and Johnson' All-Star band, complete with Burton Cummings of The Guess Who on piano, Ringo Starr on the drums, and all. And on.

Hospital work is good ta be out of, indeed. I'm now working in a doctor's office, still doing Respiratory Therapy, only now the profession is Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation. Much better...but since the Silver Valley of northern Idaho is comprised of poor folk, it is a struggle to get and keep patients for my program. But I run it myself, love that, cuts the ridiculous politics down by about 80%.

We need health system over-haul for the nasty high cost-control problem. Doctor's offices are no better than hospitals in that regard, as you all know. I don't control what gets charged to my patients. I simply fill out the forms and turn them in to billing. Some charges have to get written off, of course. But we need over-haulin' in the 1st degree in America. The rich insurance companies and doctors won't give up that great cash influx, people, so we're all screwed as far as that goes.

And it's not hard to include money in with verbal lobbying, of course. We could ask Ron Paul about that and see how honest he'd want ta be at the particular moment in time he's grilled.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:19 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
I know the Labour government that won the General Election in 1945, at the end of the
war were determined to create the NHS. Many doctors and their leaders were against it,
and fought it tooth and nail. Politicians knew things had to change from how health care
was before the war. Many people had health problems that although were not life
threatening, made their lives hard. No political party in this country dares even dream of
dismantling it. They realise how dear it is to the people of this country. They tinker with
it, and try to keep a lid on the cost, but I think they all realise running a health service in
this way for the benefit of all citizens is what the people of this country expect.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:01 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I believer that health care in this country is EXCELLENT...... IF you have medical coverage..... and LOUSY if you don't......

do we need something akin to Socialized Medicine?...YES....will it ever happen?... NO....the Doctors and the Insurance Companies wont let it happen.

The only obstacle to affordable health care in this country is the greed of insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies.
Until they got involved in the process, health care was affordable for all, the quality of care was much higher, doctors spent more time with patients and did house calls, and medication was affordable.
The money being siphoned off to line the pockets of upper management in these companies would just be redistributed back into the pockets of the patients and the doctors.
The reason government gets involved in other countries is that they reign in the costs by actually MANAGING health care. I have had the opportunity to speak to a few doctors from England who are very happy with their standard of living. They enjoy their practices, both private and in hospitals, and feel justly compensated for their work.
While some doctors here in America may occasionally get a little greedy, many are now struggling to survive despite providing excellent care because of the inflated costs to them.
Unfortunately, many of our citizens are so narrowly focused on the idea of "no government involvement" that they can't see past that and realize that once again, "free enterprise and free market" just translates to "license to steal".
Insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies and lobbyists do not allow a free market, but instead use their clout to manipulate the market so that innocent people suffer.

Best of luck to you Pink String, I hope you find someone to give you the care you need.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:03 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Speaking of healthcare...thought that this was interesting.
Pretty much says it all!

Old 01-28-2012, 06:19 PM

369 posts, read 772,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Does Las Vegas have a county hospital that offers payment arrangements?

UMC and ask about Hill Burton Act

Hill-Burton Free and Reduced-Cost Health Care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas