Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlesq View Post
I'd really hate to lose Fresh and Easy-- I'm a huge fan of theirs and love the fact that they donate to schools.
I'm afraid that losing them is almost a given at this point..

Tesco Poised to Exit U.S. After Starting Fresh & Easy Review - Bloomberg

Old 12-07-2012, 10:12 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times
Bucket lists? I don't get them. Why make a list? Are these Staples-type nerds that are accountants and such? I mean, if ya want ta do something, just do it! Know what I mean? Why make a list? Having said that - when I was a younger man I would make lists of things to do and cross them off when they got done.

Something happened on the way ta the bank...ha-ha...or should I say the way away from the bank and I don't do that kind of stuff anymore. I guess I automatically make sure I slow down and smell the roses these days. And the days of about the last 10 years, to be somewhat exact. Better make a list of that....never mind. Kurt Cobain. I often wonder what kind of cool music that man would've made if Courtney Love hadn't offed him...I..I mean the poor man hadn't shot his head off by himself with his feet. There were no fingerprints on the shotgun and it was not pointed the right way when found. And Kurt wasn't wearing gloves when he was found, either. Figure that one out and splain it to me. Please!

Monk says things just don't add up right. I smell something very, very stinky and rotten in Denmark, Ms. Love.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:24 PM

249 posts, read 402,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Bucket lists? I don't get them. Why make a list? Are these Staples-type nerds that are accountants and such? I mean, if ya want ta do something, just do it! Know what I mean? Why make a list? Having said that - when I was a younger man I would make lists of things to do and cross them off when they got done.

Something happened on the way ta the bank...ha-ha...or should I say the way away from the bank and I don't do that kind of stuff anymore. I guess I automatically make sure I slow down and smell the roses these days. And the days of about the last 10 years, to be somewhat exact. Better make a list of that....never mind. Kurt Cobain. I often wonder what kind of cool music that man would've made if Courtney Love hadn't offed him...I..I mean the poor man hadn't shot his head off by himself with his feet. There were no fingerprints on the shotgun and it was not pointed the right way when found. And Kurt wasn't wearing gloves when he was found, either. Figure that one out and splain it to me. Please!

Monk says things just don't add up right. I smell something very, very stinky and rotten in Denmark, Ms. Love.
Not every touching of an object results in prints-- it depends on the presence of oil on the skin and the cleanliness of the object-- I'm not saying that it was definitely suicide, but there certainly was nit enough evidence to prove that it wasn't a suicide

Old 12-07-2012, 10:47 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,153,795 times
Quote:
I mean, if ya want ta do something, just do it! Know what I mean?
You got a good point. Now all I need is a time machine so I can reach retirement, live on the coast of San Diego and spoil the grand kids.

Know what I mean?

Sent from cell...

Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,942,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Another reason to not have kids!
LOL, yes there are those days, but I probably would have made the dang lists anyway! I like to write, I kept journals from way back. It was cathartic. I pitched them all when I moved, I decided I didn't really want anyone reading them when I die! Or worse, finding them when I was still alive! I re-read some of them and well...I pitched them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Kids help the mind stay sharp. Always gotta stay one step ahead of them. Not to mention, I am probably better at math now than before they started school. Keeping up with the curriculum just so I can help with homework.

Sent from cell...
That's true. I didn't do so great in Algebra in high school but after I had my kids I went back to college and aced a bunch of higher math classes. They helped me and then I was able to help them!

Old 12-08-2012, 12:43 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times
Mathematics is a very detail-oriented subject, and, really, if you're so strung out on making lists I think you're really gonna hurt your chances of picking up advanced mathematics. Just the facts, ma'am.

Oh, did I mention patience? For some reason spelling and grammar seem to be the same kind of stupifier for American kids. Don't get me started on geography.

Anyone else remember the time Jerry Seinfeld guest-hosted 'Saturday Night Live' in the late 90's? There was a skit where Jerry was their history teacher. Pretty funny! Jerry would ask questions like 'What country was the VW Beetle designed in?' I mean, you've got to see it. Wish I had it DVR'd somewhere and/or on a disc stored. The class would answer 'France' over and over again to questions like the one above. Seinfeld really, really satisfied the twisted, sarcastic humor a lot of us learned in junior high and high school and pretty much perfected it. That cast remains one of my favorite comedy series casts ever. It's how they mixed together, not how any of them appeared singularly that did it. Unless, of course, you're talking about Jerry's character. Which was a Larry David/Jerry Seinfeld shared collaboration combined to make both George and Jerry's characters. Classic. Feisty. Gary Payton-istic man!

Old 12-08-2012, 03:05 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Fresh and Easy moved into low income neighborhoods because other stores would not. They were trying to serve area's that needed stores.
They were a different concept and did not have to take coupons except their own.
Sure there was pre-cooked food, but for what I went for, produce and minimally processed canned goods, it was a good deal.
I loved being able to get in and out in a timely manner, scanning and bagging our own things without having to wait in a half hour long line at other stores. And other stores only let you scan up to 20 items in their self scanners which means we get stuck in long lines that I hate.
I wish the stores would stay. We have one within walking distance in our neighborhood. Now we will have to go back to Smiths and wait in long lines again. I could never understand supermarkets having all those check stands when most of the time only a couple are open. Have them ALL open!

It's too bad that EBT has to forbid pre-cooked foods due to abuses, because some of Fresh and Easy's offerings would have been way better for kids than the frickin Doritos and soda pop they do allow.

So many people just don't know how to cook these days. Others work all day and simply don't have the energy for it when they get home. F&E had some simple meals that combined with a salad or some fruit would have made a wholesome dinner.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:50 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
Quote:
Anyone else remember the time Jerry Seinfeld guest-hosted 'Saturday Night Live' in the late 90's? There was a skit where Jerry was their history teacher. Pretty funny! Jerry would ask questions like 'What country was the VW Beetle designed in?' I mean, you've got to see it. Wish I had it DVR'd somewhere and/or on a disc stored. The class would answer 'France' over and over again to questions like the one above.
Okay this reminds me of something that happened recently, but it was in real life...so is it funny or just sad?

The check engine light came on in my car. I drive a VW Beetle, that is why this reminded me...anyway. So, I took it to Auto Zone to get it checked. The guy, as he is sitting in my car, is typing stuff into the machine. He says:

"Who makes this car?"

I told him Volkswagen

He said (not joking) "Is that foreign or domestic?"

...stunned silence, then I said "Foreign"

He then said "What country?"

REALLY? I said "Germany."

He kept going and said "That's in Europe, right?"

HOW did this guy get a job at an auto parts store????

Old 12-08-2012, 10:32 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,426,002 times
That is an amazing tale! I assumed everybody knew volkswagens were designed in Germany. I believe Hitler had a hand in it. I think the name itself means people's car, if I remember right.

It's the same in England. The kids get many exam passes at school. This has fooled them into thinking they're smart. What has really happened is the exams have been made easier.

Many young people here in England have a very limited knowledge of our past. When I was at school, history was a big subject. English history is fascinating. I think with the immigration we have had for many years, English history has been allowed to wither on the vine. This has left us with a young population knowing little even about recent history like the Second World War.

I guess our glorious leaders like having a young, stupid population who believe they are very clever. Employers know better. They have so called college educated youngsters applying for jobs who can't even spell the Queen's English.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:07 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,942,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Okay this reminds me of something that happened recently, but it was in real life...so is it funny or just sad?

The check engine light came on in my car. I drive a VW Beetle, that is why this reminded me...anyway. So, I took it to Auto Zone to get it checked. The guy, as he is sitting in my car, is typing stuff into the machine. He says:

"Who makes this car?"

I told him Volkswagen

He said (not joking) "Is that foreign or domestic?"

...stunned silence, then I said "Foreign"

He then said "What country?"

REALLY? I said "Germany."

He kept going and said "That's in Europe, right?"

HOW did this guy get a job at an auto parts store????
I would think that is the exact reason he is only working in an auto parts store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas