Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 06:32 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,277,377 times

Advertisements

I've never had a flu shot that I know of. I have a legit fear of needles. Totally avoid the doctor office because of it. When I was 8 I clenched my keister so tight and jumped on the table when the nurse tried to give me a booster shot that I bent the needle. My parents had to hold me down the second time and the nurse was pissed. Really hate going to the doctor since and yet I'm in that world surrounded by them as they're the majority of my friends and family.

For work my husband is required to be up to date on all his vaccinations including flu so he had one and he did much better with it than I did. Said he must have a better immunity than I do too with him being around sick patients all the time. That's likely true but he also had the flu shot and I didn't and I was way worse off than him. Though he was pretty sick too.

I read you also do better with the flu if you get the flu and you've already had the flu shot. He said since its viral we can catch it again or another strain going around and urged me to get the flu shot since there's three months left to go this season and I was so gawd awful sick the first round. I think I'm going to get it after what I went through even if it's not as effective this year. I don't want to get that bad again and I don't wish it on anyone.

My aversion to the flu is greater than my fear of the needle now.

Last edited by Merrily Gather; 01-23-2018 at 06:41 AM..

Old 01-23-2018, 09:04 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
I'm usually a "I don't want a flu shot" and I'll pass sort of person, but since I am a healthcare worker the hospital I work at severely twists my arm ta get a flu shot. So I got one in September of 2017. I haven't caught the flu yet this season and I sincerely hope none of you catch it, and, if you've already caught the flu, I hope you get better from it ASAP!

Old 01-23-2018, 10:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I've never had a flu shot that I know of. I have a legit fear of needles. Totally avoid the doctor office because of it. When I was 8 I clenched my keister so tight and jumped on the table when the nurse tried to give me a booster shot that I bent the needle. My parents had to hold me down the second time and the nurse was pissed. Really hate going to the doctor since and yet I'm in that world surrounded by them as they're the majority of my friends and family.

For work my husband is required to be up to date on all his vaccinations including flu so he had one and he did much better with it than I did. Said he must have a better immunity than I do too with him being around sick patients all the time. That's likely true but he also had the flu shot and I didn't and I was way worse off than him. Though he was pretty sick too.

I read you also do better with the flu if you get the flu and you've already had the flu shot. He said since its viral we can catch it again or another strain going around and urged me to get the flu shot since there's three months left to go this season and I was so gawd awful sick the first round. I think I'm going to get it after what I went through even if it's not as effective this year. I don't want to get that bad again and I don't wish it on anyone.

My aversion to the flu is greater than my fear of the needle now.
I was taught the "secret" to getting shots as a child by a very smart and caring doctor. While I sat there scared of that needle he stopped and told me that the reason shots hurt is because people tense up. When you do that your muscles tighten up and that makes the needle tough to insert. Therefore it hurts.

What the doctor convinced me to do was watch as he gave me the shot and consciously relax right before he stuck me.

No pain, or so little it didn't matter. I was the only kid in grade school that didn't scream or cry when we got vaccine shots. It still doesn't bother me. It's no worse that a pin prick after all. Cuts hurt more.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:59 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,261,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Working in a LTC/Rehab facility 3 nights a week, exposed to many with the flu, and averse to getting flu shots, I'm always surprised I don't come down with something, year after year, patients coughing into my face while changing their diapers, especially having COPD myself.

I've very proactive, the minute I even sense something is awack that could lead to the flu, I take some antibiotics I bring back from my trips to Tijuana. Once it settles in, though, it isn't much help, you have to catch it beforehand.

How many responding here got their flu shots, and still got the flu? In my 67-68 years I've never had one, even though they offer them at work for free.
My employer doesn't force you to get the vaccine, but if you don't you have to wear a mask at all times in patient areas. I try to keep mine on anyway because some patients have no problem coughing, sneezing etc. right in your face. I've gotten my shot every year since 2012. I'm afraid a year I decide to skip will be the year I get it. Most if not all the hospitals have restrictions on visitors because of this flu season.

Another thing I've been seeing a lot of patients with is shingles.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:01 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Interesting day out showing view homes in west LV. These were actually all in Sun City Summerlin. One place up on a ridge had a view to die for...and a living room with a full height circular window wall that showed the entire valley. Spectacular house. Obviously an Asian lady who liked good stuff. And the view was close to 270 degrees. Place where you do not pick up anything...suspect some of the little pieces would go multiple grands.

A delightful afternoon even though I managed to trip and had to organize an effort to pick me up. I am not terribly chubby but I am big and weigh close to 270. So when I go down I have to get my legs under me or even three adults are not going to pick me up. Finally got a chair from the home owner and got back up. Actually ended with a torn shirt and a bruised ego.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:47 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
They just raised my HOA dues from $135 to $173. I knew it was coming and I'm glad that it did, as I needed this kick in the butt to go non-HOA. Looking down the road, I only see further increases, diminishing my social security check. I never use the pools here, or the tennis courts, so, in effect, I'm subsidizing those that use those amenities. I see the day when these high HOA communities will turn into box office poison. Looking through a Real Estate magazine recently, it seems that they now brag: No HOA, even for expensive homes!

And once the U-Haul is packed up, does it matter then if you move 5-10-25, 100 or 500 miles away?

LVmench, I wouldn't have been any help at all lifting up back up, as I've been having some serious shoulder/neck problems. I still work at a LTC/Rehab facility, where it's not unusual for someone to fall out of bed, or fall down while walking, and being is largely women working there, they always come running to a male, thinking they're stronger. Well, the last month: Sorry! I can't lift! You need to find someone else or roll the person over on a Hoyer jacket and air lift them into bed. And it doesn't help matters when I tell them I've been with the Men's Liberation Movement since the early 70's!

Old 02-16-2018, 08:20 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Interesting day out showing view homes in west LV. These were actually all in Sun City Summerlin. One place up on a ridge had a view to die for...and a living room with a full height circular window wall that showed the entire valley. Spectacular house. Obviously an Asian lady who liked good stuff. And the view was close to 270 degrees. Place where you do not pick up anything...suspect some of the little pieces would go multiple grands.

A delightful afternoon even though I managed to trip and had to organize an effort to pick me up. I am not terribly chubby but I am big and weigh close to 270. So when I go down I have to get my legs under me or even three adults are not going to pick me up. Finally got a chair from the home owner and got back up. Actually ended with a torn shirt and a bruised ego.
Sorry you fell. I'm a super klutz ( I can trip over a hair on the floor ) so I sympathize.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:23 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,176 times
Good morning, Las Vegas! Is it as cold over there, as I see on my iPhone app?

Old 02-20-2018, 10:06 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Only 50 in Phoenix. We might die!

Old 02-20-2018, 01:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
46 up here. Rumors of rain/snow on the western rim Thursday night. Which is us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas