Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2018, 09:52 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
I'm considering relocating to Flag as well. What a beautiful area. I really love that they get the summer monsoon storms almost every day in the summer. Only 2 hours from PHX, decent sized population, forest everywhere...love the high elevation. The Arizona snowbowl in the fall is so stunning, if you're able to check it out I recommend it, take a ride on the ski lift, the whole valley lights up in color.

The few things that concern me about flagstaff is taking a pay cut in my profession, and how the winters would be. Supposedly they get plenty of sunshine but can get a lot of snow dumped on them. Might need AWD vehicle. And I am such a Vegas desert rat, I think I would easily wimp out when it gets down in the single digits in Flag.
Housing is expensive there too, just like Vegas.

But there are so many pros overall to consider for the area... daydreaming.
Sedona is right around the corner. Outside of Ocho Rios, Jamaica, it’s my favorite place. if you do move there, let me know. A CD meetup is always a good time.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:23 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times
My friend from Lincoln, NE who's(?) moving to Phoenix, AZ Greyhound bus had a accident. It crashed into a semi. She's ok, and was interviewed on tonight's NBC News. Her name is Rachel Cunningham. I'd love to watch it, but as I said earler ABC, NBC, CBS, and local Fox are down.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:41 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Sedona is right around the corner. Outside of Ocho Rios, Jamaica, it’s my favorite place. if you do move there, let me know. A CD meetup is always a good time.
Sedona, one of my favorite places in the country.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:05 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post

Are you enjoying AZ? I’m looking at Flagstaff
I lived in Phoenix 1993-1996 and I moved to Las Vegas because of the low wages in AZ, but I knew one day I'd return when retired and not having to work.

I love Tucson more each day. Just the other day I was biking down Pima Street and noticed Desert type creatures imbedded into the sidewalk every 50 feet or so. It's those nice little touches I see all over Tucson, and endear me more to Tucson every day.

You go into the Hispanic area of South Tucson and there's artistic murals everywhere. And biking around my neighborhood at night it seems that Tucsonian's love to add some outdoor lighting to their houses, some of the lighting is nothing more than year-round Xmas lights. Even in my mobile home co-op, lots of colored lighting outside the homes or in the trees or bushes. Love it, love, love it!

And I'm just getting used to the more courteous, polite drivers here and the lack of horn honking because I wasn't driving fast enough or I didn't step on the accelerator quick enough when the light turned green.

And with its Platinum Award for bicycle friendliness, I feel much safer here riding a bike.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:55 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
I'm considering relocating to Flag as well. What a beautiful area. I really love that they get the summer monsoon storms almost every day in the summer. Only 2 hours from PHX, decent sized population, forest everywhere...love the high elevation. The Arizona snowbowl in the fall is so stunning, if you're able to check it out I recommend it, take a ride on the ski lift, the whole valley lights up in color.

The few things that concern me about flagstaff is taking a pay cut in my profession, and how the winters would be. Supposedly they get plenty of sunshine but can get a lot of snow dumped on them. Might need AWD vehicle. And I am such a Vegas desert rat, I think I would easily wimp out when it gets down in the single digits in Flag.
Housing is expensive there too, just like Vegas.

But there are so many pros overall to consider for the area... daydreaming.
Flagstaff is expensive! You'd also have to deal with a huge influx of people from southern Arizona on the summer to cool off and on the winter to get a chance to play in the snow. (I'd never do the latter!)

Old 08-31-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Flagstaff is expensive! You'd also have to deal with a huge influx of people from southern Arizona on the summer to cool off and on the winter to get a chance to play in the snow. (I'd never do the latter!)
My best friend and I are going to complete a tiny house camper ( a big one ) started by one of my girls from high school. He’s an engineer who used to work for SpaceX. He can fix anything. All we need is a tiny spot of land, and some cooler weather. I have MS, and heat aggravates it.

Just like cold made you miserable, heat makes me the same. To each his own. We all have to find our happy place.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:49 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
The live footage of the traffic heading north out of Phoenix right now on I-17 is insane. It's similar to the bumper to bumper heading back to California from Vegas

Old 08-31-2018, 10:35 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
You might want to check out Prescott, a haven for refugees from CA. It's lower in altitude than Flagstaff (around 7000 feet) but at 5300 feet in altitude you might get some snow in winter, and rather chilly winters.

Sedona is up there in altitude as well, about 4400 feet up. In the SW it's all about altitude. If you go 80 miles SE of Tucson you're at 5250 feet in Bisbee.

Believe it or not, I even considered Yuma. They have a nice riverfront park there and you're only 60 miles to the ocean if you go south, and a bit over 2 hours to San Diego.

Lake Havasu, yikes! Altitude of roughly 500 feet, 600 feet lower than Phoenix. So if you think Phoenix gets hot, try Havasu!

Old 08-31-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You might want to check out Prescott, a haven for refugees from CA. It's lower in altitude than Flagstaff (around 7000 feet) but at 5300 feet in altitude you might get some snow in winter, and rather chilly winters.

Sedona is up there in altitude as well, about 4400 feet up. In the SW it's all about altitude. If you go 80 miles SE of Tucson you're at 5250 feet in Bisbee.

Believe it or not, I even considered Yuma. They have a nice riverfront park there and you're only 60 miles to the ocean if you go south, and a bit over 2 hours to San Diego.

Lake Havasu, yikes! Altitude of roughly 500 feet, 600 feet lower than Phoenix. So if you think Phoenix gets hot, try Havasu!
Havasu is even hotter than Bullhead, where I graduated high school. I’m roasted, toasted, broiled, baked, etc.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:40 AM

OMG, we survived another summer in Las Vegas! August is over !! It was actually cool in the morning when I walked outside. I know it’s not officially fall yet, but it’s getting here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas