Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 08:58 PM

191 posts, read 664,992 times

Advertisements

right on! we have a chat sticky now. thank you Mr mod!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:50 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Oops, sorry scirocco. Thanks for the chat sticky.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:01 PM

322 posts, read 1,270,353 times
i dont get it? So all post on all topics are in this one thread? So I have to wade through 83 post about who got laid off at Channel 4, just to find the post about why the 51's are leaving town?

Old 09-20-2008, 06:49 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Remember, Yeti, City-Data forums main focus should be on relocation issues.

Like I explained in my post over in the LV forum, threads should be primarily geared toward subjects that in some way deal with issues pertaining to relocation, visitor information, or statistical data on Las Vegas.

We were getting so many chit-chatty type threads that the LV forum was just becoming one big chat room. Our Administrator has stated in the T.O.S. that this isn't a chat room. A lot of threads were being hijacked and lead off-topic by the forum regulars making jokes and bantering back-and-forth with each other. This became very distracting to new members trying to ask about information about Las Vegas. I've had quite a few complaints from new members on how distracting it is to have the regulars pulling threads off topic with chit-chat.

Finally, I decided to create an "official chat thread" that would have been a sticky at the top of the forum. This would allow everybody to talk about off-topic subjects and joke around all they want. However, the regulars seem to want it over here in the Community Chat forum. I don't particularly think it's a good idea to have it here but that is what you all want.

Threads about UFOs, what news anchors were fired recently, what the price of gas is in Alaska, etc. were all recent topics that really shouldn't be in the local forum. These types of topics should be discussed in a chat forum among friends ...or in your social groups.

Also, discussions about news stories in the local area are not really encouraged on the local forums. A few, perhaps, but when somebody starts to post 5 or 6 threads daily on local news stories, that's not the true purpose of our forum. There are plenty of local news media sites that have forums dealing with discussion of news stories.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:23 PM

ok - i get your point. I mean I am as guilty as anyone there for posting stupid answers and off topic suggestions. However; UFO's, the fact that out "community leaders" are arrested for drunk driving, and that we have cheaper gas than Alaska are very important points to consider, if you are considering moving to Vegas. I mean, lets face it, Hunter S Thompson started it, people come here in search of the American Dream, and when they get here they are sorely pissed off that its not here.

UFO's are a big part of our culture here in Vegas, and the city is a cesspool. We should be allowd to discuss that stuff, because people seem to think that our streets are paved with gold. Either that, or they seem to think its like Iraq where they will get shot for crossing the road without stopping at a checkpoint.

/end troll rant.

If the forum reverts back to "Where should I live? Where do i buy a pool filter" I'll stop reading it. And I'd like to think I have made at least 1 valuable contribution to the forum. The more you tighten the screws,the less members with regular participation, the less actual answers you will get.

As for smart ass answers, some dumbass posted a thread on the main page that there were already 3 topics on on the same front page. Of course he is going to get ridiculed for that.

Hi Pink, can I have your Baby?

Old 09-20-2008, 09:58 PM

It's all how a post is worded.

In the price of gas in Alaska thread, the OP didn't mention Vegas at all. Sure, the price of gas in Alaska could be a "relocation" issue pertaining to Vegas but it's a stretch. Obviously, anything can be a relocation issue.

Yes, Area 51 could be a good topic for the LV forum but it certainly got off-topic in how it pertains to relocating or visiting Las Vegas. But again, what locals talk about amongst themselves should be contained elsewhere.

You can try to justify ANY subject and call it a "relocation issue" but again, I want to stress the symbiotic relationship between locals and those who are inquiring about Las Vegas. When a thread gets to be a conversation just amongst locals talking about a local issue, it ceases to meet the focus that our local forums are supposed to provide.

Because of all the complaints that have been coming in about what the LV forum has become (actually, it's been that way for quite awhile), we've got to try to pull it the other way so a middle road can be reached eventually. I'm not saying that no joking around can take place or that absolutely no off topic threads can be posted but it was just getting to a point where quite a few newer members were complaining about it.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:08 PM

And Kimba, that's exactly the reason I'd rather have the chat thread in a sticky in the Las Vegas forum because the regulars will still hang around there and can still be helpful to new members.

The way you want it separated here in Community Chat, it isolates all of you here and you're absolutely right, eventually, the newbies will be answering newbies because all the regulars are over here.

I didn't want it that way, you guys did. So yes, I won't be surprised if it eventually gets that way. It's too bad.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:44 PM

I for one welcome our Newbie and Moderator Overlords !!!!

I also think its awesome that the Vegas boards get the most complaints from Newbies.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 21,931 times
Default Japanese Wife - Bigamist Married in LV

A friend of mine had problem similar to yours in which there was a bigamist spouse and two countries involved. He was able to get this mess cleaned up with the help of two lawyers, one in US and one in the country of residence.

My friend is an American guy and found out that his Japanese wife - Junko Muto of Tokyo - was already married to another guy - She never got divorced from her first husband.

My friend met her and married her in Japan and had registered with the local government office as required in Japan. However, the Japanese wife as it turned out had been married to another man in the US. She had a legally recognized marriage in the US with the first husband. This US marriage was also a legally recognized marriage in Japan, consequently, according to Japanese law, she was guilty of a crime, bigamy.

The American guy enagaged legal help in both the US and Japan, which did take some time to find the right attorney and it was somewhat expensive. Although, the second marriage was considered illegal, the American guy was still required to seek a legal annulment of the marriage through the Japanese court. He eventually was able to get the legal annulment of the marriage.

My friend was uncharacteristically naive and was taken advantage by this woman looking to nail down her next meal ticket. People that commit bigamy are predators plain and simple. Don't try to rationalize their behavior or let them off the hook. In fact, this Japanese woman is back out looking for the next guy, so please BE CAREFUL!

Old 10-18-2008, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 21,954 times
I see that a lot of good people took time to read this soap opera lamentation and some of you even gave her some suggestions. I mean, let's get serious, you smart people ! This woman needs a lawyer and needs not tell the world her private life and opinions on some guy she chose to marry in our town. We have more serious topics to talk about in Las Vegas, NV and only positive people should join this forum, so that there is no negative brain infestation. U.S.A. remains the best and the brainiest (despite of what others say, ha !), do not fall for all this whining crap about rich people losing their paper money that they never owned. The really smart people will always be on top, as long as they do not waste precious time on vulgar issues - like this one above. I just gave you the key to success ! LAS VEGAS, KEEP IT UP ! We will make it, you'll see !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas