Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 09:15 PM

422 posts, read 1,084,787 times

Advertisements

With a determined attitude like you have, you're sure to make it work! Good luck...do you have a place to stay lined up? That will be you're biggest expense.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:17 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhateme View Post
With a determined attitude like you have, you're sure to make it work! Good luck...do you have a place to stay lined up? That will be you're biggest expense.
yes i do

Old 05-24-2010, 09:30 PM

422 posts, read 1,084,787 times
Go for it! You can do it! Let us know how you progress.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
If it makes you feel any better...why not visit the Orlando forum...and pretend you are coming from Vegas to Orlando...and see what people's reactions are. I bet it'll be the exact same thing. Don't come to Orlando, there aren't any jobs here, etc.

Meanwhile, you're a young guy...willing to work at whatever job...whether it is is Orlando or Vegas...what's the difference?

You aren't hiring moving vans, enrolling kids in different schools, selling and buying houses to make the move.

Basically, what you are doing, is purchasing a plane, bus, or some ticket and arriving in Vegas. You are essentially OUT that plane ticket....what is that $200? Then from there, everything remains EXACTLY the same. I.E., either place, you are a rentor looking for a job. You are at an age, where if things don't work out, what's it going to cost you? Another $200 to get back to Orlando and hang out on the parents couch for a few weeks? It makes Vegas an easy decision and an easy move.

The alternative is you stay in Orlando, and 5 years from now...you still have that same thought....Vegas? SHould I have? My girlfriend wants to get married and have a kid...should we try Vegas now before that? Can I move her from Orlando? THAT alternative is much worse...and it keeps getting worse as you move further along!

Just remember...people who are saying DON"T COME TO VEGAS...'don't do what I did'...are generally people selling and buying houses, purchasing large U-Haul moving vans, etc. Y'know, a COMPLETELY different kind of person than you and where you are at in your life!!

Keep all that in mind...and remember...WORST-CASE scenario...you try Vegas...you don't like it for whatever reason...and you go back to Orlando...and that is worst-case scenario...which is NOTHING really...because you'd go back with a great piece-of-mind that you tried it, checked it out, and now you've done it...and have a chapter in your life that you can say you've done and tried...with pretty much NO downside to it whatsoever.
Actually Im driving to Vegas, should cost $300-$400 one way

Old 05-24-2010, 09:40 PM

383 posts, read 901,165 times
Scared is normal. Some fears are healthy. Could you live with yourself if you didn't give it a shot? In my case I couldn't. Ihave a job lined up which will help me get by for the first year but I'm moving my family 3000 miles from another country. In my case I have an open door to return. I don't want to either and if I do I will be a little poorer. I can live with that but I can't live without knowing what could have been if I don't give it a shot. Go for it and good luck.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by costaricageorge View Post
Scared is normal. Some fears are healthy. Could you live with yourself if you didn't give it a shot? In my case I couldn't. Ihave a job lined up which will help me get by for the first year but I'm moving my family 3000 miles from another country. In my case I have an open door to return. I don't want to either and if I do I will be a little poorer. I can live with that but I can't live without knowing what could have been if I don't give it a shot. Go for it and good luck.
Bu you have a job lined up. I dont. I have an interview but thats about it. Im also worried about jobs because I read something today about how 1 of 5 young people age 16-24 in Nevada cant find jobs http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/may/24/nevada-teens-struggle-to-find-work/ (broken link)

That as a 20 year old worries me even more so

Old 05-24-2010, 10:43 PM

383 posts, read 901,165 times
Yes I do have something lined up but I went to Vegas about 3 weeks ago to get it. To be honest I had a friend from there with a little pull help me get an interview but what got me the job was that I traveled from Costa Rica to get it and when I got my interview I told him I would do anything to get a start. I am 38, graduated from college in 94 and moved to CR in 96. It was impossible for me to fill out applications because I had no addresses or phone number in the states fro the past 14 years. I am starting off very low level probably making less money then I have for the past 10 years but I needed a start. I amconfident from there my work ethic and abilities will show and I will move up. No guarentee there. I explained to the interviewer my desire to work and that I came all the way to get a job and he told me he would have done the same thing if he wanted a job. If you get out there and tell these people you put your job on hold and drove out just to get a start I think they will see your motivation to work and hire you. I have no right to judge the job market out there but I do know a lot of people around the world who complain about not having work from their couches. You sound willing to work so I believe you will. After my interview I felt good enough to start planning the move and it wasn't til I got back did the job offer come in. I still have to pass a background check and the drug test which won't be a problem and honestly if this job falls through I'm coming anyone. I want to work, have a wife and 7 yr old to support , and I will find a way to do it.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:43 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Maybe I'm listening to too much negativity here but I'm now beginning to have second thoughts about moving. As much as I want to do it right now I'm becoming scared that I won't find a job (even though Vons wants to interview me as soon as I get there) I've been filling out applications but I still have not received any phone calls other then from Vons who like I said wants to interview me right away when I get there

I plan to fill out more apps once I arrive, and even do day labor if that's what it takes

And I feel if I have to go back to Florida, I will be even more miserable here then I am now and everybody I know who thinks Im crazy for making this move is gonna say "I told ya so, I told ya so, I told you you would fail" But I dont want that to happen because I dont want to hear anybody's negativity, and second of all failure is not an option for me

Im sorry to sound like a cry baby on the forum, I just felt a need to vent and let you guys know how I feel
As you know, I've been one of those people recommending that you hold off on moving to LV. What you feel now is normal and, in no way, does it make you a 'cry baby.'

I congratulate you for your work ethic and determination but, form my view, it's hard to justify a cross country move for the potential to obtain employment at a grocery store.

You should do the best you can at this age to boost your credentials moving forward. I'm not sure working at Vons (or a low level job at a gaming corporation) is the best way to go about this. You may want to go back to school or obtain vocational training at a later age. You should do it now when it's easier.

Have you been able to define your long-term career interests? If you know what they are at this stage, maybe you can take steps to strengthen your background in that area.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:02 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Bu you have a job lined up. I dont. I have an interview but thats about it. Im also worried about jobs because I read something today about how 1 of 5 young people age 16-24 in Nevada cant find jobs Nevada teens struggle to find work - Monday, May 24, 2010 | 12:09 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun (http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/may/24/nevada-teens-struggle-to-find-work/ - broken link)

That as a 20 year old worries me even more so
I've told you where you can get a job in a day. You claim to be willing to do anything including day labor. Just go on craigslist and find a telemarketing job. Trust me in 2 days you will be making $8-$10hr. Interview with them all and take the one that seems to be the least scummy.

PR Diamond Products across the way from me is always trying to steal people from me, try them.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:40 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
ok, davie i might be able to help you big time... what exact experience do you have? i know the customer service, do you have cashiering experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas