Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 09:36 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,471,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Thanks for the support everyone. JJ, it looks like it is a sad time for both of us.

(http://www.trailershut.com/movies-2010.html - broken link)
Sorry for your loss, big hug to you...

Old 06-17-2010, 09:49 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,663,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
My condolences too LVD. While we are talking about losing loved ones, I wrote a few weeks ago about my husband being in hospice. Well, he died on Memorial Day. It's sad that he will not make it out to Las Vegas with me and I finally have some very good action on my home for sale here.
My condolences on the passing of your husband, JJ. I pray that things turn out well for you.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
My condolences too LVD. While we are talking about losing loved ones, I wrote a few weeks ago about my husband being in hospice. Well, he died on Memorial Day. It's sad that he will not make it out to Las Vegas with me and I finally have some very good action on my home for sale here.
Sorry for your loss as well jj...I hope you sell the house quickly and get to move to LV.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:24 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,490,387 times
JJ & LVD...sorry to hear about your loss of loved ones. They physical loss is tough to handle, but they will live on through the memories you shared with them.

Ski...My 85-yo dad was in the hospital last week for 2 days, swollen with fluids from CHF. When we visited him last Saturday, he was not doing well since being discharged, so I made the decision that he had to come live with me, while we nurse him back to health. Not sure if he'll move in permanently (he loves his independence), but he's doing much better. It is work, as I expected it would be, but one done out of love and respect. The way I handle it is to take a walk in his shoes and think what it would be like if I were 85, and then treat him as I would want to be treated. I always feel, when dealing with his needs, that I'm looking at myself...30 years from now.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
JJ & LVD...sorry to hear about your loss of loved ones. They physical loss is tough to handle, but they will live on through the memories you shared with them.

Ski...My 85-yo dad was in the hospital last week for 2 days, swollen with fluids from CHF. When we visited him last Saturday, he was not doing well since being discharged, so I made the decision that he had to come live with me, while we nurse him back to health. Not sure if he'll move in permanently (he loves his independence), but he's doing much better. It is work, as I expected it would be, but one done out of love and respect. The way I handle it is to take a walk in his shoes and think what it would be like if I were 85, and then treat him as I would want to be treated. I always feel, when dealing with his needs, that I'm looking at myself...30 years from now.
Same thing happened to me many, many years ago with my Dad, jfk.

You will come to treasure these memories that you are about to create with your Dad living with you.

It's sometimes difficult to have an aging parent living with you, and you and Mrs. jfk have done the right thing. You are both wonderful.

Hope Dad feels better soon, enjoy this time to become even closer to him than you've ever been in your life.

Hope he gets better soon!

Old 06-17-2010, 12:18 PM

762 posts, read 1,561,864 times
My husband has Parkinsons and I have never mentioned this before, which is funny because when I first meet anyone in person I tell them. I don't think many people are really all that knowledgble about what the disease does. My husband cannot take care of himself at all (dressing, eating, walking, and other daily life tasks) he also cannot speak loudly or clearly. His memory is going too. He is stage 4 or 5 parkinsons. I am 21 yrs younger so it is like taking care of a parent. His children do not help at all. My children help with everything I cannot do.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:31 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisickie View Post
My husband has Parkinsons and I have never mentioned this before, which is funny because when I first meet anyone in person I tell them. I don't think many people are really all that knowledgble about what the disease does. My husband cannot take care of himself at all (dressing, eating, walking, and other daily life tasks) he also cannot speak loudly or clearly. His memory is going too. He is stage 4 or 5 parkinsons. I am 21 yrs younger so it is like taking care of a parent. His children do not help at all. My children help with everything I cannot do.
My Mom has Parkinsons. I'm not sure what stage she is in, but she has great difficulty in walking and uses a walker. Plus getting dressed, bathing, etc. Plus she couldn't remember things, and would go to the store and leave her purse in the cart, or on top of the car, so my sister's finally took her car keys away. She hated that. Always so independent.
She fell out of bed a few months ago and broke a vertebrae in her back. She has to wear a back brace and put up quite a fuss about it, but now she does. She has a twin size hospital bed with side rails that she hates, and wants to sleep in her own queen sized bed she's had forever. I don't blame her on that, I like space too when sleeping to stretch out.
She is 74. What she really needs is a live in nurse since it's taking a toll on my sister's that take turns trying to care for her 24/7 plus they work, and have families to take care of.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:55 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,318,296 times
My heart goes out to all of you who are being caregivers. I learned a great deal about this situation as we went thru hospice. My mom eventually died of congestive heart failure as you are dealing with JFK and what a wonderful attitude you have. I can truly be made a nice time for both the caregiver and the patient.

Michael J. Fox certainly did make the world aware of Parkinson's, didn't he? Probably before that time, it was not a disease we understand that much about. Funny how much attention we give to stars and how they can use their place in the world to accomplish much if they put their mind to that. I remember when my husband was first diagnosed with his cancer, also at the same time there was Patrick Swayze and Farrah Fawcett and we of course, watched their progression with the disease. And both of them and my husband too, swore they were going to beat it.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:01 PM

149 posts, read 122,025 times
The film star Bette Davis used to have a framed sign onher living room wall - it said OLD AGE IS NO PLACE FOR SISSIES. So true, my wifes 85 year old mother lives withus, its sad to watch the creeping effects of old age, butreading some of the earlier entries I can see it could bea lot worse. Life is very cruel sometimes.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:23 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,410,923 times
My condolences to you JJ and kudos to you and all the others who are or have been caregivers. My father-in-law lived with us for 11 years after his stroke. We were lucky enough to have someone come stay with him during the days while we worked. He passed away in 2005. It is a labor of love and anyone who says it is not hard work is being too modest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas