Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 08:52 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Interesting. I have always wanted to do that, but I get too interested in all the cool stuff and never have gotten past Alaska. Wow. If I didn't hate the cold, I would LOVE to live with that beauty. Did you check out their pic sticky? Just gorgeous. And they seem like a great bunch there.

So, how long do you spend in each state? Do you just pick a thread or two that look interesting? Well, you probably won't be back to good ole NV for a while, but enjoy your trip!!!
I've now made it as far as North Carolina and am currently distracted by a nursing home thread there, as I work in one. OP can't find a nursing home for her elderly mother, no vacancies in the Charlotte area. I refuse to believe that! Nursing homes have gotten very picky about who they allow in and who they won't allow, due to the trigger-happiness of family members itching to bring lawsuits.

Yes, any number of states/cities have photo sticky threads and you can spend hours just looking at those. You could spend days on the Photography forum going through all those sticky threads. Last week I spent an entire evening on the Photography forum on urban photos. It's nothing short of taking a vacation!

Old 09-19-2010, 09:26 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,244,252 times
How many people take it personally when good advice is given? Do people internalize the advice and translate that to "I'm a failure?" or some other deep rooted form of criticism? When people come in here and vent all their BS are they doing so hoping that no one is going to pipe up about it?

That's part of the allure of a message board. You get to observe and comment on the human condition.

If all you do is come in and talk about what needs fixing someone is going to take a verbal wrench to it. Sure, some folks have compassion, but its easy in a nameless, faceless message board to be a little more vocal and more direct. Sometimes, that form of compassion is misconstrued as an attack or having a bad attitude. Some folks are downright mean. If you can't say "So Be IT!" afterwards, maybe being in a public message board is not good for your well-being.

It's a public message board filled with strangers hiding behind a screen!
Its not a self-help forum!

I have seen mostly positive but stern advice given in the LV chat board to those that ask for it by spilling their private life all over the place. I think those folks just want to be heard and understood. Some people misconstrue strong compassion, advice or opinions as being talked down to.

If you want sympathy on a message board, chances are you'll find it and it will be sincere, but to expect to be mollycoddled every time you whine publicly is insane. Personally, I would rather say don't give up or do this differently or push that barbell up one more time. That doesn't make me an a-hole.

You can find words of encouragement, backed up by hard truth. Doe's that mean the person offering a word of encouragement is being any less compassionate? In my mind, I don't think so.

You have to laugh at yourself. No one is going to take you seriously all the time.

Brace yourself, this might be offensive.....

Last edited by Spraynard Kruger; 09-19-2010 at 09:39 PM..

Old 09-19-2010, 09:31 PM

369 posts, read 772,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Sometimes i come in here and the info is just too much. Some things we do not need to hear, especially when someone has gastrointestinal problems! Eeew!

Good thing you warned me, have I got some war stories ...

Old 09-19-2010, 11:44 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
Good thing you warned me, have I got some war stories ...
Please...no!

*runs away*

Old 09-20-2010, 12:58 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
For all you strange pirate talk lovers, here you go:
Talk Like a Pirate Day

Old 09-20-2010, 05:40 AM

194 posts, read 398,163 times
Default Pic of guys shoes at sports book

There was a thread about sports books a while back. There was a pic of a guy in jeans with his feet up... a self taken promo shot. He had awesome shoes.

Wierd thing to bring up but I wanna buy those shoes, anyone remember the thread title or have any clues? I've searched every Sports betting thread.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:54 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
I just want Jethro Tull to come to town.
Just curious...IF Jethro Tull were to happen to be performing in LV anytime soon, would you be borrowing the money to attend from the azzhole BIL and sister? You need money to attend a concert such as this.

If you're not all over this like wet on water...then, I fear, your situation is hopeless....

Looking to hire someone part-to-full time

Old 09-20-2010, 08:55 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
How many people take it personally when good advice is given? Do people internalize the advice and translate that to "I'm a failure?" or some other deep rooted form of criticism? When people come in here and vent all their BS are they doing so hoping that no one is going to pipe up about it?

That's part of the allure of a message board. You get to observe and comment on the human condition.

If all you do is come in and talk about what needs fixing someone is going to take a verbal wrench to it. Sure, some folks have compassion, but its easy in a nameless, faceless message board to be a little more vocal and more direct. Sometimes, that form of compassion is misconstrued as an attack or having a bad attitude. Some folks are downright mean. If you can't say "So Be IT!" afterwards, maybe being in a public message board is not good for your well-being.

It's a public message board filled with strangers hiding behind a screen!
Its not a self-help forum!

I have seen mostly positive but stern advice given in the LV chat board to those that ask for it by spilling their private life all over the place. I think those folks just want to be heard and understood. Some people misconstrue strong compassion, advice or opinions as being talked down to.

If you want sympathy on a message board, chances are you'll find it and it will be sincere, but to expect to be mollycoddled every time you whine publicly is insane. Personally, I would rather say don't give up or do this differently or push that barbell up one more time. That doesn't make me an a-hole.

You can find words of encouragement, backed up by hard truth. Doe's that mean the person offering a word of encouragement is being any less compassionate? In my mind, I don't think so.

You have to laugh at yourself. No one is going to take you seriously all the time.

Brace yourself, this might be offensive.....
Good post SK. One can either steer life...or be steered by it. It all comes down to the choices we make along the way.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:01 PM

369 posts, read 772,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
Please...no!

*runs away*
The joys of EMS and nursing

Old 09-20-2010, 02:52 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,978 times
Will Smith is incredibly awesome. Just watched Seven Pounds.

P.S. It's not for the faint of heart. It's sad and heartbreaking, but beautiful at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas