Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 08:18 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Unfortunately, those days have come to an end, when you went out to a bar and, coming home, you merely looked everywhere for a cop in sight. Now, there's "cops" everywhere, good samaritans who call police if you were merely weaving a bit while driving. And it's been well-proven, sleep-deprived drivers are as dangerous on the roads as drunk drivers, but they can breathe sighs of relief that there are no tests available yet to determine if the driver is only driving on 3 hours of sleep.

I had a friend in Phoenix who was returning to Sun Lakes from a Xmas party
one time, someone on a cellphone called the police, he was pulled over just a half-block from his house. Merry Xmas, a DUI!
The police state is now rapidly expanding before our eyes. Check this out...

DHS: Secretary Napolitano Announces Expansion of "If You See Something, Say Something" Campaign to Walmart Stores Across the Nation

Old 12-10-2010, 08:55 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
My father was a drunk too. Eventually, I became him myself. I personally have no family left so I guess there is no unit to destroy.
If it's any consolation, workaholics and alcoholics wear the same clothes.
My Dad was a workaholic, worked 7 days a week, and that "disease" can be inherited just like the other "disease", which is no more self-destructive.

The dangers of workahlism is very few recognize it as self-destructive behavior. In this workaholic country, what do you hear? "At least, he's not drinking!" No social stigma for the workaholics of this country, they get "free passes" with support for their self-destruction.

I inherited workaholic tendencies from my father, my brother and sister have acted upon them. Like alcoholics, they can't stop!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:07 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,594,394 times
Quote:
My Dad was a workaholic, worked 7 days a week, and that "disease" can be inherited just like the other "disease", which is no more self-destructive.

The dangers of workahlism is very few recognize it as self-destructive behavior. In this workaholic country, what do you hear? "At least, he's not drinking!" No social stigma for the workaholics of this country, they get "free passes" with support for their self-destruction.

I inherited workaholic tendencies from my father, my brother and sister have acted upon them. Like alcoholics, they can't stop!
Yeahhhhhh, but workaholics pay the rent, and bring home the bacon! I guess I see loving to work as a blessing rather than a curse or disease.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:58 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
Yeahhhhhh, but workaholics pay the rent, and bring home the bacon! I guess I see loving to work as a blessing rather than a curse or disease.
It's one thing to be self employed and be a workaholic. It's another to be an employee spending your whole life creating wealth for someone else. Either way, you are severely missing out on life. Perhaps more so than an alcoholic even. Finding balance in life is probably the hardest thing to achieve.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:04 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:

I totally agree. My ex's father was an extreme alcoholic. My ex is not an alcoholic at all, barely drinks, but he has worked his life away. Sad. It played a big part in the destruction of our marriage and even now, his kids do not see him much. All he ever wanted was a cottage on a lake in MI. Well, he is soon to get that, finally, but when will he ever go to it?

It doesn't matter that he didn't drink and it wasn't about making lots of money, even though he did very well. It was the behavior. It was all he knew. His dad was never around and he inherited that behavior. When we divorced, he worked even more. Then slept. That's it. His house nearly went into foreclosure and he never paid any other bills, yet he had a large bank account. He gave up all his vacations with the family and most holidays too.

You are right, they can't stop.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:05 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Unfortunately, this does not surprise me at all. Recently, I noticed some jerk was following me when I was driving home from work in the morning. Every time I changed lanes this person was on my tail. Within 5 minutes the person made a U turn and there was a police officer behind me all of a sudden who pulls me over. The cop says I was swerving between lanes and asked me if I had been drinking. What really happened is I worked all Monday night and was halfway asleep on my way home. Thankfully, I was wearing my security guard uniform AND I was not on any drugs or alcohol. I was just severely tired which was making me swerve. I did not get a ticket and was let on my way with a warning. I have NO DOUBT it was that jerk following me called the police on me. I saw he was on the cell phone the whole time. Is this the society we have become????

LOL-this happened to me about a year and a half ago when we lived in Willcox, AZ. Living in a dinky town like Willcox meant that cruising the 80 miles west to Tucson for fun was a necessity every couple a weeks at least. Well, we had shopped and eaten and boogied for a lot of a Saturday in Tucson. On the way home, I was all the way back the 80 miles in Willcox, a Willcox cop pulled me over.

Funny, my wife and kid had commented on my lane swerving. I acted just like an alcoholic, "Oh, I'm fine. Hang on and we'll be home before ya know it."

I even knew I was not driving safely. I should've pulled over and slept in the Texas Canyon rest area, which is about 18 miles west of Willcox. But I didn't. Anyhoo-the cop was certain I was drinking I think. I told him I wasn't and that I was just really, really tired.

What did nice cop do? Acted safely and sanely! He warned me that I was seriously swerving and that when that happens you ought to rest it off a while. Whew! I thought those paranoid feelings for a few secs there, the same feelings from my wild teenage years in suburban Seattle in the 70's! No ticket for elkotronics, though I could almost smell one coming.
Whoo-hoo!

But seriously, it's worth noting and I did not feel proud at what had happened, and sadly, someone could've been hurt, and that's the takeaway point here, eh?

Last edited by elkotronics; 12-11-2010 at 12:18 AM..

Old 12-11-2010, 08:03 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Quote:

People with depression also wear the same clothes. The toll that depression can take on a family can be quite similar to the toll that alcoholism takes. Firsthand knowledge.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:08 AM

990 posts, read 1,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
People with depression also wear the same clothes. The toll that depression can take on a family can be quite similar to the toll that alcoholism takes. Firsthand knowledge.
I wear jeans. Is that a bad sign?

Old 12-11-2010, 08:10 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Only if the zipper is in the rear!

Old 12-11-2010, 08:22 AM

487 posts, read 747,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
My father was a drunk too. Eventually, I became him myself. I personally have no family left so I guess there is no unit to destroy.
I guess there are different types of drunks, unfortunately he was the nasty type. I watched him as a small child and swore to myself that when I grew up and had a family I would learn from his behavior and never be the man he was. He never held my hand always held my wrist. Weird the small things you remember. The thing is I always wonder what happened to him in his life that made him the man he became. I feel sorry for him when I think of all the love he could have had from his family but it's too late now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas