U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-17-2011, 04:11 PM

8,670 posts, read 6,718,298 times
Nice to drive a new one, though, even if just a test drive! One can dream and plan ahead, right! Glad your car is all good and well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 04:25 PM

5,441 posts, read 6,633,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Nice to drive a new one, though, even if just a test drive! One can dream and plan ahead, right! Glad your car is all good and well!
Yeah the service tech even said he was surprised my car was in such good shape "drivers your age beat the s&it out if their cars"

Makes me feel good to know my car has 89k miles and can still hang with the new cars, glad to see my ride is reliable

Old 01-17-2011, 07:34 PM

12,244 posts, read 16,295,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
Arrrghh, I hate this one! No, they're mustelids, obligate carnivores & related to mink, otters & the like.

Were they to live in the wild, rodents are their natural prey. Most ferrets are domesticated & have been for a long time. The black footed ferret is a wild cousin which almost became extinct but has since resurfaced thanks to the efforts of some animal groups. There are occasional groups of breeders who will also have their ferrets hunt for food, but they're rare. I know a woman in England with 50+ ferrets who hunt rabbits, rats & other rodents for their own food. Here in the US, most are bred at a puppy-mill like place called Marshall Farms. Find out more here:

Ferret - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not a lot of people realize it, but they're the #3 companion animal after dogs & cats. This may not be the greatest comparison, but ferret owners are somewhat like Mac owners when it comes to computers - a niche that is very vocal. Most people prepared for the responsibility get hooked quite quickly, as they're nicknamed "Nature's Clown" for a reason. I've heard them described as "like living with a cartoon" or "furry toddlers on crack". I laugh & smile every day (as I'm sure tijlover does); what more could I ask for? At the bottom of this page is an example (from the Wikipedia page) of a ferret doing the 'weasel war dance' when they're really happy:

They're not for everyone, as they require lots of attention; they're very social creatures who bond strongly to their owners & each other. Too many people get one for the 'cuteness' or 'novelty' factor much like Dalmations when the movie '101 Dalmations' appeared. The owner realizes they have to spend time with the ferret as well as potentially pay a big vet bill. Then the poor ferret gets stuck in a shelter for a long time; all of ours are rescues. As Dltordj mentioned, they're prone to illnesses & cancer, possibly related to inbreeding at Marshall Farms, maybe their quirky metabolism? In the US a 6-10 year lifespan is typical, the lady I mentioned in England has had some of hers life 15-16 years on a natural, live prey diet.

If someone's ready for the responsibility & vet bills, they're a fantastic pet. They're NOT a good pet for small children as a child might grab the ferret & it might bite the child as a defense mechanism. If the ferret isn't nip-trained it also might try to play too rough with the child. Ours are all nip-trained & socialized, so they know human skin isn't as strong as their ferret fur - they nip lightly at hands or ankles when they want attention or want to play. A properly socialized ferret won't be a problem, but like anything else if they've been neglected and/or abused then they could be a problem.
Thanks for the correction and info. Just curious...do responsible owners tend to spay and neuter as they would a dog and cat?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:05 PM

662 posts, read 857,647 times
^^Most of them are already spayed & neutered & it's done when they are very young. A lot of people think that is the reason they have so many health problems.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:20 PM

369 posts, read 438,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
from the saddle between hooterville and Boulder to my house is 30 miles and its a piece of cake drive....your right this town aint that big.....
Takes me 10 -15 and half that is the part in Henderson. But I can be from my house to McCarran in 30-40 minutes and about the same for old town. Takes about 45 -55 for Fry's electronics but 15 of that is from the Las vegas BLVD to finding a place to park

Old 01-17-2011, 11:23 PM

369 posts, read 438,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
If you think that's a nice drive, try the drive from CH to Mt Charleston or Indian Springs and back, particularly when the weather is near perfect like it is lately. The commute is one of the best things about my job believe it or not.
Take the highway out to Mesqutie then follow the the old two lane back through the park and into Henderson. That's a fun ride. And you can just follow Lake Mead in Henderson back to 95. It's really just a long circle.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:57 PM

481 posts, read 583,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Thanks for the correction and info. Just curious...do responsible owners tend to spay and neuter as they would a dog and cat?
For most ferrets (i.e. those bred at Marshall Farms) it's a non-issue, as they're spayed/neutered at about six weeks of age. Dltordj is correct, this is thought to be a possible reason they're susceptible to some of the cancers & diseases that are common. Adrenal disease is probably the most common & it's thought to be related to hormonal issues as a result of being 'fixed' so early. For the rare case where someone has an intact ferret, most will have them 'fixed' unless they plan on careful breeding. The males develop a very strong smell & get aggressive when going through heat; females can die if they don't get any 'action' when in heat. As a result, most people wouldn't want an intact ferret unless they plan specifically to breed them.

Privately bred ferrets usually go through one 'heat' before being spayed/neutered at maybe 4-6 months of age. From everything I've read/heard, they have a better track record of health & longevity. The woman I mentioned in England breeds her own ferrets & commonly has them live 12-15 years, which just doesn't happen here in the US. You really have to look around to find an 'intact' ferret, as private breeders are not common.

Ferrets are illegal in California; it's an old, ignorant law that hasn't been repealed - the fear was ferrets would breed & form feral colonies, destroying wildlife. There's just no practical way it could happen, as it's so rare to find a ferret that isn't already fixed. In addition, normal ferrets are so domesticated they wouldn't be able to survive in the wild. As a result, there are a lot of 'underground' ferret owners in California who have to sneak around to keep their fuzzbutts. One of ours is a rescue who was confiscated at the border. Meet Leela, our wild-child:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZledLm2tdo

Old 01-18-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
...females can die if they don't get any 'action' when in heat.
Sigh...I used to know a few girls like that...in my younger days!

Old 01-18-2011, 09:54 AM

15,380 posts, read 22,011,456 times
AND NOW HE'D DIE IF HE got ANY ACTION

Old 01-18-2011, 10:02 AM

ain't it the sad truth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas