Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 07:47 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
^^ Ferrets are fun pets but you have to keep an eye on them & they are prone to many illnesses.
Amigo is the 6th ferret I've owned and I've been lucky in that I've never had any of them develop any illnesses, they just died of old age at around 6, 7 or 8 years.

I did lose one to the so-called "Green Slime Disease", but that's another story. I bought one ferret who turned out to be a carrier of the disease, but showed no symptoms, and passed it onto my other ferret. It was a very sad death as there was nothing that could be done about it.

I used to participate in the Phoenix Ferret Club where they'd rent out a big meeting space, and there'd be contests and such, everyone would bring their ferrets to these events, but with the advent of this "Green Slime Disease" all meetings came to an end in the mid 90's, as a result of it.

I did meet one wealthy Scottsdale woman who came to the club, and she had a ferret-proofed backyard with 70 ferrets running about. OMG!

Last edited by tijlover; 01-18-2011 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 01-18-2011, 08:00 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I love living in CH. It almost has a rural feel as you are surrounded by horse property and open desert. I agree about the easy commute. I'm amazed how quickly you can get downtown. The only traffic seems to hit when you are merging onto I-15 off of the 95. When I come home during rush hour from the Strip area I take sidestreets Bonneville/Alta west and then hop on the 95 or take Buffalo up.
I've always lived my adult life in the inner city (Phoenix, Mpls., Denver) even though I grew up in a surburban area, and the times I'm tempted to forsake inner-city life is when I drive down that scenic drive from Boulder City into town.

If I'm going to kiss the inner-city good-bye some day, wherever I relocate, I had better have the best view I can afford, and up in those hilly areas of Henderson you'd find me, with a great view of the Strip along with the Spring Mountains as a backdrop. No other area of the valley will do for me.

Even in the farthest reaches of the west valley, SW, or NW, the views just aren't there for me. And, I want a view of the Spring Mountains as a bonus.

And in Henderson, you don't have to go up the hills very far for a great view. Just walking out the front door of the Wal Mart on Lake Mead can provide an exciting view.

Last edited by tijlover; 01-18-2011 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 01-18-2011, 08:48 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
This year we will experience 4 unusual dates, 1/1/11, 1/11/11, 11/1/11, 11/11/11. NOW GO FIGURE THIS!!--- take the last 2 digits of the year you were born, plus the age you will TURN this year and it WILL EQUAL TO 111!!!

Very weird. I borrowed that from a friend on Facebook. She comes up with the weirdest things. I never thought anyone was weirder than me. Go figure.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:48 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've always lived my adult life in the inner city (Phoenix, Mpls., Denver) even though I grew up in a surburban area, and the times I'm tempted to forsake inner-city life is when I drive down that scenic drive from Boulder City into town.

If I'm going to kiss the inner-city good-bye some day, wherever I relocate, I had better have the best view I can afford, and up in those hilly areas of Henderson you'd find me, with a great view of the Strip along with the Spring Mountains as a backdrop. No other area of the valley will do for me.

Even in the farthest reaches of the west valley, SW, or NW, the views just aren't there for me. And, I want a view of the Spring Mountains as a bonus.

And in Henderson, you don't have to go up the hills very far for a great view. Just walking out the front door of the Wal Mart on Lake Mead can provide an exciting view.
I have been to the edge of Henderson, I guess the more eastern side and I was not too impressed. I need to drive and see the southern side sometime.

I personally think Summerlin takes the cake. Especially the closer you get to Red Rock. The Red Rock mountains against the Summerlin greenery is gorgeous.

I love the vibrancy and rhythm of the city, but like to live where life is a little more quiet.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:52 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I never thought anyone was weirder than me. Go figure.
I am definitely weirder than you.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
This year we will experience 4 unusual dates, 1/1/11, 1/11/11, 11/1/11, 11/11/11. NOW GO FIGURE THIS!!--- take the last 2 digits of the year you were born, plus the age you will TURN this year and it WILL EQUAL TO 111!!!

Very weird. I borrowed that from a friend on Facebook. She comes up with the weirdest things. I never thought anyone was weirder than me. Go figure.
It works because the year someone is born plus their age will be the current year. However those born after 1999 will not be 111, but will be 11.

So in 2010 age + the year = 110
2009 age + the year = 109
2008 age + the year = 108
2007 age + the year = 107
2006 age + the year = 106
2005 age + the year = 105
2004 age + the year = 104
2003 age + the year = 103
2002 age + the year = 102
2001 age + the year = 101
2000 age + the year = 100
1999 age + the year = 99
1998 age + the year = 98

Last edited by lyra33; 01-18-2011 at 09:31 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 09:47 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Well it's still weird anyway. So there. lol

Old 01-18-2011, 10:02 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I have been to the edge of Henderson, I guess the more eastern side and I was not too impressed. I need to drive and see the southern side sometime.

I personally think Summerlin takes the cake. Especially the closer you get to Red Rock. The Red Rock mountains against the Summerlin greenery is gorgeous.

I love the vibrancy and rhythm of the city, but like to live where life is a little more quiet.
I have to say that the views in Henderson are pretty dang awesome. I would drop my daughter off at school early mornings and the drive back with the sun coming up was just breathtaking to me. I was over by Seven Hills area though. Eastern/Horizon Ridge. I really did like it there. I was torn between there and CH. CH is quieter, newer, greener and cooler. Plus, it is closer to Mt. Charleston and I LOVE that! I haven't really been there long enough at one time to do all the exploring I want to.

Fortunately, I skip outta MI just in time for the weather to hit 2º! Unfortunately, it is only for a long weekend. Whatever, I will take it!!!!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:13 PM

654 posts, read 1,322,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Amigo is the 6th ferret I've owned and I've been lucky in that I've never had any of them develop any illnesses, they just died of old age at around 6, 7 or 8 years.

I did lose one to the so-called "Green Slime Disease", but that's another story. I bought one ferret who turned out to be a carrier of the disease, but showed no symptoms, and passed it onto my other ferret. It was a very sad death as there was nothing that could be done about it.
You mean Amigo is the 6th ferret by whom you've been owned? LOL. We always joke that we're just guests in our ferrets' humble abode; at the end of the day, it's really about them & they rule the roost. Sure, we set the rules, but it reminds me of my niece & nephew - there's nothing my sister & her husband wouldn't do for them when all is said & done.

BTW, the "Green Slime Disease" or ECE (Epizootic Catarrhal Enteritis) is an intestinal virus that, as you mention, was fatal years ago. That was mostly due to lack of information, nowadays it's not a death sentence - tho the neon green diarrhea is bizarre. The virus itself isn't the problem, it's the related dehydration & malnutrition; many ferrets lose their survival instincts, stopping eating & drinking to the point they wither away & die. As long as you can hydrate your ferret & keep them eating, they'll generally be fine.

I've had several ferrets contract ECE & each has come through it fine - which certainly wouldn't have happened years ago. Remind me someday if we have a ferret meetup & I'll give you some frozen cubes of duck soup (chicken mush, mostly) - it's saved the lives of a few of my ferrets. When they won't eat anything else, they'll eat this stuff as long as they've had it before, so they need to get introduced to it - it will keep them hydrated & provide invaluable nutrition. Anyone on here with one or more ferrets is welcome to DM me & I'll give you a simple recipe for making it. Your ferrets will love it, it's very nutritious for them & it might save their life someday.
Here's a video my girlfriend made of the ferrets eating soup - it's the ONLY time you'll see them quietly focused on the same thing. I have this eerie feeling it's going to get JFK aroused , you need to watch it to understand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjLsFMqXDNk

I would love to have seen that woman with 7
0 ferrets, that must have been a madhouse! With ferrets being the great escape artists they are, she had to have spent a ton of time ferret-proofing that backyard!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Well it's still weird anyway. So there. lol
For sure, and I like weird...so it's pretty cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas