Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 12:28 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,473,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am just going to post this. I have met Davie and he is a great guy who is very ambitious. Really, he is me 15 years ago back in 1995 when I was 20 years old. I have even told him I wish I was more successful myself as I would take him in because he really wants to live here, and is willing to sacrifice whatever he has to live here. Unfortunately, I personally am a failure in life and I can not help him like I wish I could. Regardless, I hope everyone can relate to him and be SUPPORTIVE instead of being negative.
I think I know you just a bit, and you're wrong. Anyone with a kind, warm heart and deep down good intentions is a rich person in my opinion.

I don't think so much that a lot of us are down on Davie, we just want him to know the ugly truth and the what ifs.

I do believe that all of us, no matter what we post and try to warn, wish and want only the best for Davie. And if that means he come here and hope for the best, then we're ALL rooting for him, no matter what he decides to do!

Old 05-15-2010, 01:39 PM

177 posts, read 357,133 times
Hey, life is full of challenges. He is single, has no children, and is still very young. If this is what he wants to do, he should go for it. You never know whether you will succeed or not unless you tried. Even if he fails, he has nothing to lose.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:41 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Don't forget that the NV University system is not very good. It's certainly not as good as the FL University system.
bullpucky...it depends on the major... if it's hospitality... unlv ranks only behind cornell....

as for the florida university system... its' terrible

Old 05-15-2010, 02:27 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
I think Davie will do just fine out here. He has drive and ambition and is determined no matter what. Best to do this while young like he is. The worst that will happen, he will end up not liking it here and will go back to Florida. On the other hand, it may work out just fine and he will be here as long as Buzz.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:56 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
bullpucky...it depends on the major... if it's hospitality... unlv ranks only behind cornell....

as for the florida university system... its' terrible
You've got to be kidding. You aren't seriously suggesting that UNLV is on a par with the University of Florida just because they have one decent major, are you?

According to Best Colleges 2010, as published in U.S. News & World Report, UF is considered one of the top 50 schools in the entire country. And I'm not just talking about public universities; it ranks tied for 47th out of all schools, including the Ivy League. UF is tied with Penn State & the University of Texas for 47th, and ranks ahead of Ohio State, Maryland, Clemson, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, GW and many others.

Even Florida State, at 102, ranks higher than other state's flagship universities such as LSU, Oregon, and the Univ. of Tennessee.

On what basis do you consider the Florida university system "terrible?"

National Universities Rankings - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

Old 05-15-2010, 04:18 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,154 times
I find it hard to believe Cornell offers a hospitality program. My daughters daughter attends Cornell and at $46K a year, most students are pre-med. Furthermore, who would pay $46K a year to an Ivy League school to study hospitality?

I do believe in you Davie and would encourage you but I find it scarey that you think some higher power is going to look out for you and provide. If that was possible, with some many needy people out there, how would he decide?

Old 05-15-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You've got to be kidding. You aren't seriously suggesting that UNLV is on a par with the University of Florida just because they have one decent major, are you?

According to Best Colleges 2010, as published in U.S. News & World Report, UF is considered one of the top 50 schools in the entire country. And I'm not just talking about public universities; it ranks tied for 47th out of all schools, including the Ivy League. UF is tied with Penn State & the University of Texas for 47th, and ranks ahead of Ohio State, Maryland, Clemson, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, GW and many others.

Even Florida State, at 102, ranks higher than other state's flagship universities such as LSU, Oregon, and the Univ. of Tennessee.

On what basis do you consider the Florida university system "terrible?"

National Universities Rankings - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report
airics is right....UNLV is famous for hospitality.

If New York in the financial capital of the world, then Las Vegas is the entertainment capital of the world. If you have Wall Street experience, you have much better chance of landing a good job in the whole world.

Same here in las Vegas. If you major hotel management in UNLV, besides taking courses, you also need to take internship in Las Vegas. If you really like hospitality, I couldn't think of a better choice for both school and city. I personally knew some international students who graduated from UNLV, and I asked them what made them choose this college. They told me if they put UNLV on their resumes they would have much better chance of getting hired in their home countries. And if they had MGM or Harrahs internship experience it would be a huge plus on their resumes too.
Don't underestimate the fame of Las Vegas. Yes, the local economy is still horrible here, but Vegas work experience is still valuable and irreplacable.

If you like hospitality, UNLV is the place for you. At least it is a better choice than University of Florida even though it is one of the top 50 colleges.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mresort View Post
airics is right....UNLV is famous for hospitality.

If New York in the financial capital of the world, then Las Vegas is the entertainment capital of the world. If you have Wall Street experience, you have much better chance of landing a good job in the whole world.

Same here in las Vegas. If you major hotel management in UNLV, besides taking courses, you also need to take internship in Las Vegas. If you really like hospitality, I couldn't think of a better choice for both school and city. I personally knew some international students who graduated from UNLV, and I asked them what made them choose this college. They told me if they put UNLV on their resumes they would have much better chance of getting hired in their home countries. And if they had MGM or Harrahs internship experience it would be a huge plus on their resumes too.
Don't underestimate the fame of Las Vegas. Yes, the local economy is still horrible here, but Vegas work experience is still valuable and irreplacable.

If you like hospitality, UNLV is the place for you. At least it is a better choice than University of Florida even though it is one of the top 50 colleges.
Not only is nobody disputing that, that has absolutely nothing to do with my response to Airic's post. He claimed that the Florida university system is "terrible" and I presented evidence to the contrary.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Not only is nobody disputing that, that has absolutely nothing to do with my response to Airic's post. He claimed that the Florida university system is "terrible" and I presented evidence to the contrary.
By the way, what is the University of Florida famous for?
Please forgive my ignorance but I must confess that I didn't know it is actually one of the top 50.
One needs to have an extraordinary selling point, otherwise it is just mediocre and unremarkable.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mresort View Post
By the way, what is the University of Florida famous for?
Please forgive my ignorance but I must confess that I didn't know it is actually one of the top 50.
One needs to have an extraordinary selling point, otherwise it is just mediocre and unremarkable.
I suppose its "selling point" is that it is one of the largest research universities in the nation and is also referred to as a "Public Ivy" league school. Here is some more info:

University of Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, Shands Teaching Hospital at UF is one of the top hospitals in the country.

Shands at the University of Florida

But I suppose UF is most famous for the invention of Gatorade. It was invented at the University of Florida and was named after the football team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas