U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-14-2009, 10:45 AM

15,757 posts, read 19,764,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
lasvegasnevada.gov/8279.htm
Here is a link to a guest house update for the city of las vegas.
Very interesting and I hope it helps others interested in affordable housing.
I fixed your link...

Updated Ordinance Allows for Kitchens in Guest Houses (Official City of Las Vegas Web Site)

Note though this is basically the same as the Clark County provision. The rub is that it pretty much requires a third acre or more. And you need a special use permit which can be beaten down by neighbors.

Note though that you can likely buy a suitable place and add a kitchen without much hassle. You may also find a few places with kitchens that ain't supposed to be there. It is not uncommon for places to have been inspected without kitchens or bathrooms and then they magically appear.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 11:24 AM

19 posts, read 82,135 times
Olecapt, thank you. Also, I just discovered a new link through the search option on the top right of this link. Type in accessory brochure and a pdf file allows one to see the recquirements for having a guest house in las vegas. It's a great color brochure. Amazing what one can find on the net.

So many are struggling with the economy and I hope this helps. For those who object and want to prevent it you need to know that guest houses, accessory dwelling units, casitas,or granny flats whatever name you chose to call them already exist. I saw ads last week for guest houses at Alta/Rancho, Decatur/Charleston, and Oakey/17th. Mom and I have been checking the ads for awhile now and see them all over town. Note that it states the owner must live on the property and this is what my mom would do.

HOAs would not work out for us and we are no longer considering them. Obviously, the older areas of town where they already exist would be a much better fit.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:11 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,724,627 times
All I can say to that is......thank God.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
All I can say to that is......thank God.
Casitas are present in HOA communities. In fact quite common in some. Kitchens are rare. I am somewhat skeptical that the HOA can prevent one being rented out.

Some of the larger fancier houses have real MIL quarters. Actually fully independent units.

And some of the really big places have not only guest suites with full amenities but independent homes on the site for staff.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:01 AM

1,755 posts, read 3,690,776 times
Quote:
Olecapt, thank you. Also, I just discovered a new link through the search option on the top right of this link. Type in accessory brochure and a pdf file allows one to see the recquirements for having a guest house in las vegas. It's a great color brochure. Amazing what one can find on the net.

So many are struggling with the economy and I hope this helps. For those who object and want to prevent it you need to know that guest houses, accessory dwelling units, casitas,or granny flats whatever name you chose to call them already exist. I saw ads last week for guest houses at Alta/Rancho, Decatur/Charleston, and Oakey/17th. Mom and I have been checking the ads for awhile now and see them all over town. Note that it states the owner must live on the property and this is what my mom would do.

HOAs would not work out for us and we are no longer considering them. Obviously, the older areas of town where they already exist would be a much better fit.
The livability of "guest" units is of major concern. The majority are illegal in the valley, not due to kitchens, etc---but rather the main unit is not occupied by the owner----which often leads to utility problems with the "guest" renter, as ONLY the main unit is responsible for electricity, or gas.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:08 PM

After much searching I found this at HUD. Accessory dwelling units(ADU's), casitas, guest houses are covered under federal fair housing laws. Obviously, someone could make a federal case out of this if the city or county harasses or trys to prevent the rental of an additional unit. I'm referring to legal units, not illegal ones. Though even those can go through proper channels and be brought up to code. Publications - HUD USER - Policy Development and Research's Information Service

Old 03-17-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
After much searching I found this at HUD. Accessory dwelling units(ADU's), casitas, guest houses are covered under federal fair housing laws. Obviously, someone could make a federal case out of this if the city or county harasses or trys to prevent the rental of an additional unit. I'm referring to legal units, not illegal ones. Though even those can go through proper channels and be brought up to code. Publications - HUD USER - Policy Development and Research's Information Service
I would recommend never trying to bring an illegal unit to code. Live with it as illegal or don't buy it.

While obtaining code compliance on a unit being built is not terribly difficult it is a quite different thing on an existing unit. Costs can easily exceed the cost of building the unit from scratch. And the variability of the cost is very high. Someone annoys an inspector and it goes from a few hundred dollars to ten thousand...and there really is nothing you can do about it. And once you start the process you pretty much have to finish it.

Note that renting a unit is general allowed by the municipality. It is the HOA that will stop it. No HOA likely no problem. Be careful though as a home can have restrictive covenants even if not in an HOA.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:36 PM

No, illegal units for me. Another option could be hiringa real estate attorney, though it would be too costly for most people. Too bad they don't offer some sort or moratorium to help homeowners. The link I'm posting shows how Massachussetts has a smart growth policy and how they deal with accessory dwelling units. There is a wealth of information showing how they contribute positively to any area. Smart Growth / Smart Energy Toolkit - Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU)

Old 03-21-2009, 01:10 PM

Oops, I meant the city/county could offer some sort of amnesty program for homeowners to bring nonconforming units up to code. Moratorium means suspension of an activity which would not be helpful to homowners. Here is a local link about casitas.
reviewjournal.com -- Living: HOME OPTIONS:

Old 03-21-2009, 06:11 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,724,627 times
That's a great article about casita's being used as casita's are intended. I saw no mention of using
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas