Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:07 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
i knew that'd get your attn, buzz. and yes, they most definitely have green chile stew and posole (both served w/ warm tortillas).

the breakfast burrito was good (sopapilla was awesome), but i can't give a solid thumbs up till i get some adovada and either of the afore mentioned stew/posole. i will for sure be there on friday to try some....might have to go earlier though as i can't stop wondering. all total, i think you can get a navajo taco or stuffed sopapilla, the normal sides, a bowl of posole and a sopapilla for about $8 (i know that it was <$5 ala carte).

you'll know it was good if i make the update from my phone!
Wear a carnation in your lapel so I'll recognize you if I decide to go too. Do you know if they are open for dinner? We usually eat out on Friday or Saturday night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 09:12 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Wear a carnation in your lapel so I'll recognize you if I decide to go too. Do you know if they are open for dinner? We usually eat out on Friday or Saturday night.
unfortunately (or maybe for me fortunately) i rarely wear anything w/ a lapel

but i will be there for sure on friday as one of my dogs will be seeing the vet across the street. if you think you might be down that way, PM me and maybe we can sync up schedules. it'll be early evening.

and yeah...i believe they are open till 9pm every night (except sunday....closed)

Old 02-18-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
sounds interesting... can someone fedex some to cleveland

As a matter of fact they can, but it gets pretty expensive for whole green chilis. The canned products from this place are about as reasonable as they are in the stores but you can't find it everywhere. I like the El Pinto sauce that comes in jars. We can get that in the supermarket in Las Vegas. I just had some today that I cooked in my scrambled egg burrito. I have a recipe booklet from El Pinto and use it to make green chili meatloaf. Ummmmm.

I also like the sauce made from red chilis and put out by The Shed one of my favorite restaurants in Santa Fe, and Sadie's sauce which can be hotter than he**. Sadie's and El Pinto are our two favorite restaurants in Albuquerque. Check it out here.

New Mexico Chili, NM Chili, NM Chile, New Mexico Chile, Hatch NM, Hatch New Mexico, Hatch Green Chile, Chile Gifts and more!

Costco has tortillas that come uncooked so all you do is put them in a hot frying pan or on a flat grill for a couple of minutes and you have fresh tortillas for burritos etc.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:28 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
hmmmm...the amazing disappearing/reappearing thread?

Old 02-18-2009, 09:42 PM

Default El Pinto chili meatloaf recipe

El Pinto Meat Loaf (El Pinto is one of the best restaurants in New Mexico. If you can’t find El Pinto Chile Sauce in a store you can order it on line. World Famous Salsa & Green Chile Sauce - El Pinto It’s worth it. We find it in Albertons and Whole Foods Mkt.)

2 lb ground beef
2 whole eggs
At least 1 cup bread crumbs (I use 2 or 3 pieces of bread plus a handful or two of oats too)
1 16 0z jar of El Pinto Green Chile Sauce
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper

(although I don't know why you'd need the salt or pepper. I'm low salt so I don't use it. buzz)

Preheat oven to 375º, mix all ingredients in mixing bowl except for ¼ of the chile sauce. Press into baking pan & press gently to relieve any air pockets. Pour remaining chile on top of meat. Cover with foil and bake for 1½ hours. Remove & drain grease, let stand about ten minutes before eating. (Be careful when draining grease it doesn’t slide out of the pan. Also, it is always important with meat loaf to mix well and really squish up the meat with your hands to make a solid loaf. The texture of meatloaf is important so squish away.)

El Pinto Restaurant Chile Fact #3: Chili with and “I” is a stew.
Chile with an “e” is a fruit or vegetable.

But others in New Mexico might dispute that. Enjoy. 

Old 02-18-2009, 09:56 PM

269 posts, read 976,637 times
Green!

Old 02-19-2009, 12:00 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
Quote:
As a matter of fact they can, but it gets pretty expensive for whole green chilis. The canned products from this place are about as reasonable as they are in the stores but you can't find it everywhere. I like the El Pinto sauce that comes in jars. We can get that in the supermarket in Las Vegas. I just had some today that I cooked in my scrambled egg burrito. I have a recipe booklet from El Pinto and use it to make green chili meatloaf. Ummmmm.

I also like the sauce made from red chilis and put out by The Shed one of my favorite restaurants in Santa Fe, and Sadie's sauce which can be hotter than he**. Sadie's and El Pinto are our two favorite restaurants in Albuquerque. Check it out here.

New Mexico Chili, NM Chili, NM Chile, New Mexico Chile, Hatch NM, Hatch New Mexico, Hatch Green Chile, Chile Gifts and more!

Costco has tortillas that come uncooked so all you do is put them in a hot frying pan or on a flat grill for a couple of minutes and you have fresh tortillas for burritos etc.
i've also seen those tortillas at Smith's and Walmart

Old 02-19-2009, 12:30 AM

Default Carne Adovada recipe

Carne Adovada Recipe

Red Chili Sauce:
Brown 6 Tbsp. flour in 4 Tbsp. cooking oil.
Blend in 8 Tbsp. of New Mexico red chili powder. (New Mexico red chili powder can usually be found in the specialty foods section of the grocery store in a variety of strengths ─ mild, hot, extra hot, etc. DO NOT USE REGULAR CHILE POWDER from the spices section. It is NOT the same thing.)
Slowly add 4 cups water, and stir until lumps are removed.
Add two cloves chopped garlic, 3 tsp. salt, ¼ cup brown sugar, and 1 Tbsp. Cinnamon (or to taste).
Simmer 10 to 15 min., or until thickened.

Meat:
Chop two lbs. lean pork chops or chicken. Marinate in chili sauce in refrifgerator for at least 24 hours, then spread meat and sauce in a 9 x 13 baking pan and bake for 1½ hrs. at 350º. (Also can be slow cooked in an electric crock pot just like the Conquistadors did.)

Serve with hot tortillas, sour cream, refried beans, Spanish rice, etc. Remember you do not pour water on grease fire, so make sure you have plenty of margaritas, beer, Pepsi, or iced tea on hand to put out mouth fire.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:34 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,249 times
Quote:
Remember you do not pour water on grease fire, so make sure you have plenty of margaritas, beer, Pepsi, or iced tea on hand to put out mouth fire.
exactly right....but all those listed are kinda like water. if you really need to put the fire out, hit it w/ fats and starches (aka milk, rice, etc.).

warning: science content ahead!

capsaicin (the molecule in chiles that gives the burning sensation) binds to the same receptors in the body that sense heat. when you eat spicy food, the capsaicin binds to these heat-receptors and 'trick' your mouth into thinking there is something thermally hot in there. that is why spicy = hot. over time, the capsaicin will damage the receptors....thus the effect of getting acclimated to spicy food (also why capsaicin is being eyed in pain reduction...it deadens some of the pain receptors)

the capsaicin molecules themselves are hydrophobic...e.g., repelled by water (just like the grease mentioned previously). when you drink water to 'put out the fire' all you really do is flush the molecules around your mouth allowing them to contact more receptors....thereby making it hotter. to really put out the fire, you need to 'absorb' the capsaicin and get it away from where it is causing pain (those thermal receptors aren't present after the mouth...until the exit, where, well....you know). milk and starches will do the job (to some extent, i think sugary stuff will as well).

interestingly, the coolness you feel from some mints (i.e., peppermint) is basically the same process, you are just triggering the cold receptors.

sorry 'bout that....i'm done ....for now

Old 02-19-2009, 05:41 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
I occasionally use a product called Sinus Buster, which contains capsaicin. Two squirts right up the nose. Lots of fun, as it produces quite the powerful sneeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas