U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 03:09 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,058,054 times

Advertisements

a question that is so near to my heart that i nearly shed a tear when i was asked that regarding my breakfast burrito this morning. the only thing better was when the owner, knowing i was from NM, simply said "how about christmas?"

now i know that only makes sense to a few ppl here...but they will understand my happiness. there is a new mexican style restaurant, Carlito's Burritos, that just opened (as of today!) down on Patrick at Pecos (behind the sonic).

stopped in for a burrito this AM w/ my dad, met the owner and his parents. turns out my dad and his dad knew each other from back in the day when we lived in NM!!! crazy. (i guess not that crazy as we all lived in a small town in northern new mexico where most ppl, myself incl. worked at the same place).

here is more good news (again, only makes sense to those in 'the know')...they serve carne adovada stuffed sopapillas and navajo fry-bread style tacos ! haven't tried the carne yet, but will for sure at some point this week...reserving my complete recommendation until then.

they did do a NM-native a solid by surprising me w/ a free sopapilla when i was leaving (don't serve them w/ the breakfast, fried one up for me when after we did the secret NM-handshake ). i haven't had one in years....absolutely perfect! didn't even need the honey, although it was provided (as it should be).

**oh yeah...the breakfast burrito was delicious , the bacon was awesome, and the chile was bueno (brand). the heat isn't quite up to NM standards, but you gotta ease non-natives into this....can't wait to try the adovada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 03:19 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,155,275 times
What is adovada?

My husband just had carne asada the other day and could not stop raving about it. (actually he was at some friends for the Super Bowl, and they made it)

We went driving around looking for a good Mexican restaurant and couldn't find one. We stopped at two, but they were real shady looking and smelling so we moved on. Finally out of frustration, we stopped at Robertos. Was pretty good. Not the best salsa though, but I know that is a matter of taste and opinion. I like alot of cilantro in mine and I like some heat. Not as much as you, yet!!

Then Sunday, we went to Cozymels because it was close and we didn't feel like driving forever, and their salsa was just like I like it!!! Well, except it could have been hotter, but I probably could have asked for the hotter stuff. Their tacos were pretty good too.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:35 PM

252 posts, read 817,954 times
Do they have any vegan stuff there? I'm going to guess "no."

Glad to hear you can get some authentic NM stuff though.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
What is adovada?
carne adovada is a NM specialty....basically, it is pork marinated and cooked in a red chile sauce made from NM-red chile pods, garlic, other good stuff. typically, you marinate in the sauce overnight and then cook it in the sauce to reduce and thicken it up. quite often it is really spicy.

IMHO, the best way to eat it is stuffed in a sopapilla, christmas-style (both red and green chile sauce on top), but it is usually good any way i've had it. i use it as a bench mark for restaurants, along w/ their green chile.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gomonas View Post
Do they have any vegan stuff there? I'm going to guess "no."

Glad to hear you can get some authentic NM stuff though.
i knew you'd ask that....answer is pbby. their was a jicima carrot chile thing and a sw ceasar salad. the former is nothing but veggies, but more of an app....and i think the later could be prepared w/o the cheese or chicken (so, e.g., a salad w/ a chile-based dressing).

let you know for sure the next time i go (menu is in my truck or i would give you the specifics now).

Old 02-17-2009, 05:54 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,216,635 times
Glad to hear about this, guinnessjim! This is music to my ears (and taste buds). New Mexican food is non-existent here in LA. I crave green chile-- and there's nowhere around here to get it. Even the supermarkets don't even sell Hatch green chile. I might have to drive up to Vegas now just to eat there! Glad to know if I end up moving there instead of Albuquerque or Denver at least I'll have some options.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:49 AM

12,686 posts, read 31,025,205 times
That's Big Jim. That's a fir piece to drive but I gotta try that place. I haven't had a carne adovada stuffed sopapilla in a long time. In fact I've been thinking lately that it's time to take a trip to Albuquerque. Henderson is closer. I think you should probably explain to folks that NEW Mexican food isn't MEXICAN Mexican food. It's a combination of Spanish, Indian, Gringo, Mexican, and gourmet French chef imagination, using mostly fresh products unique to NEW Mexico, especially the world's best tasting chilis that are only available there. It's much, much better than Mexican, but I suppose it's similar. My wife makes the best carne adovada, but it's from a recipe she got in Santa Fe from what was our favorite restaurant until the owner passed away and it cosed. If I remember I'll try and post it on here. Does that place have green chili stew and pasole?

Anyone looking for a fantastic Mexican restaurant should try Lindo Michoacan Gourmet Mexican food on Tropical Pkwy near Centennial. It truly is gourmet. They don't serve sopapillas with the meal but they have them as a desert. Another gourmet Mexican restaurant is Frank and Fina's Cocina on Grand Canyon Dr, at Flamingo and 215, and I believe they have a vegetarian item or two.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:57 AM

12,686 posts, read 31,025,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Glad to hear about this, guinnessjim! This is music to my ears (and taste buds). New Mexican food is non-existent here in LA. I crave green chile-- and there's nowhere around here to get it. Even the supermarkets don't even sell Hatch green chile. I might have to drive up to Vegas now just to eat there! Glad to know if I end up moving there instead of Albuquerque or Denver at least I'll have some options.
Hey, VP. Albertson's in Las Vegas roast green chili's by the bushel once a year, usually at only one or two locations. I think it's in August. Last couple of years it's been at a store in Henderson. Our last bushel has lasted two years frozen. Oh, yeah. We have three Garduño's here too.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
That's Big Jim. That's a fir piece to drive but I gotta try that place. I haven't had a carne adovada stuffed sopapilla in a long time. In fact I've been thinking lately that it's time to take a trip to Albuquerque. Henderson is closer. I think you should probably explain to folks that NEW Mexican food isn't MEXICAN Mexican food. It's a combination of Spanish, Indian, Gringo, Mexican, and gourmet French chef imagination, using mostly fresh products unique to NEW Mexico, especially the world's best tasting chilis that are only available there. It's much, much better than Mexican, but I suppose it's similar. My wife makes the best carne adovada, but it's from a recipe she got in Santa Fe from what was our favorite restaurant until the owner passed away and it cosed. If I remember I'll try and post it on here. Does that place have green chili stew and pasole?

Anyone looking for a fantastic Mexican restaurant should try Lindo Michoacan Gourmet Mexican food on Tropical Pkwy near Centennial. It truly is gourmet. They don't serve sopapillas with the meal but they have them as a desert. Another gourmet Mexican restaurant is Frank and Fina's Cocina on Grand Canyon Dr, at Flamingo and 215, and I believe they have a vegetarian item or two.
i knew that'd get your attn, buzz. and yes, they most definitely have green chile stew and posole (both served w/ warm tortillas).

the breakfast burrito was good (sopapilla was awesome), but i can't give a solid thumbs up till i get some adovada and either of the afore mentioned stew/posole. i will for sure be there on friday to try some....might have to go earlier though as i can't stop wondering. all total, i think you can get a navajo taco or stuffed sopapilla, the normal sides, a bowl of posole and a sopapilla for about $8 (i know that it was <$5 ala carte).

you'll know it was good if i make the update from my phone!

Old 02-18-2009, 09:21 AM

11,595 posts, read 22,718,975 times
sounds interesting... can someone fedex some to cleveland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas