U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Unread 02-18-2009, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
9,131 posts, read 13,193,054 times
Reputation: 2221
Default Even the Assessors office can't figure out my taxes..

I appealed my property tax and was just sent the certified letter with the new values (no meeting req'd)... i am going to accept the new values.. I called the assessors office to ask how much my taxes will be under the new value, the woman said she had no idea how to figure it out... maybe someone here could give me an idea...my old taxable value is 228017 x 35% to get the assessed value which is 79806 x the rate which is 3.3638% brings it to 2684.51 - 626.21 = 2058.30... before i appealed it was 179877 x 35% = 62957 x .033638 = 2117.75 (I dont understand the cap reduction and how to figure it out)......AFTER APPEAL 136000 x 35% = 47600 x .033638 = 1601.19

Where does the cap reduction come into play and how do i figure it out...My guess is that i am saving $450 a year minimum.. give or take
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 02-18-2009, 11:29 AM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,759 posts, read 19,044,337 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
I appealed my property tax and was just sent the certified letter with the new values (no meeting req'd)... i am going to accept the new values.. I called the assessors office to ask how much my taxes will be under the new value, the woman said she had no idea how to figure it out... maybe someone here could give me an idea...my old taxable value is 228017 x 35% to get the assessed value which is 79806 x the rate which is 3.3638% brings it to 2684.51 - 626.21 = 2058.30... before i appealed it was 179877 x 35% = 62957 x .033638 = 2117.75 (I dont understand the cap reduction and how to figure it out)......AFTER APPEAL 136000 x 35% = 47600 x .033638 = 1601.19

Where does the cap reduction come into play and how do i figure it out...My guess is that i am saving $450 a year minimum.. give or take
The Cap rate does not come into play. Just ignore it. YOu have correctly calculated your taxes. The cap rate keeps it from going up...not from coming down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-18-2009, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
9,131 posts, read 13,193,054 times
Reputation: 2221
i have to admit it is interesting....las vegas property tax down $450 to $1600 a year.... Cleveland property tax up $1200 (school levy) to almost $5000 per year.. the kicker.... the house in vegas is valued more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-18-2009, 07:09 PM
 
Location: North Las Vegas
302 posts, read 268,981 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i have to admit it is interesting....las vegas property tax down $450 to $1600 a year.... Cleveland property tax up $1200 (school levy) to almost $5000 per year.. the kicker.... the house in vegas is valued more!
Is that the rate for North Las Vegas or Las Vegas that you used?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-18-2009, 07:44 PM
 
1,317 posts, read 1,328,920 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
I appealed my property tax and was just sent the certified letter with the new values (no meeting req'd)... i am going to accept the new values.. I called the assessors office to ask how much my taxes will be under the new value, the woman said she had no idea how to figure it out... maybe someone here could give me an idea...my old taxable value is 228017 x 35% to get the assessed value which is 79806 x the rate which is 3.3638% brings it to 2684.51 - 626.21 = 2058.30... before i appealed it was 179877 x 35% = 62957 x .033638 = 2117.75 (I dont understand the cap reduction and how to figure it out)......AFTER APPEAL 136000 x 35% = 47600 x .033638 = 1601.19
Airics, the property tax formula looks straight forward, but where does the substracted sum that I've highlighted in red come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-18-2009, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
9,131 posts, read 13,193,054 times
Reputation: 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
Airics, the property tax formula looks straight forward, but where does the substracted sum that I've highlighted in red come from?
that was my cap cost reduction which should not apply at all to the new rate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-18-2009, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
9,131 posts, read 13,193,054 times
Reputation: 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_chief View Post
Is that the rate for North Las Vegas or Las Vegas that you used?
north las vegas, i know that they are both very close...3.3638%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-18-2009, 10:42 PM
 
1,317 posts, read 1,328,920 times
Reputation: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
that was my cap cost reduction which should not apply at all to the new rate
Ah, I got ya'. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:52 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top