U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-23-2009, 12:16 PM
 
Location: SW Las Vegas
109 posts, read 445,879 times
Reputation: 47

Advertisements

long story short I'm now among the massives that have gotten a pink slip.. (layoff) as of Jan 21.

I recently did an online application with the State of Nevada personnel and just got a postcard notifying me that I have progressed to the next level and will be doing some testing.

Has anyone here ever gone through this process, and are they really hiring or am I just wasting my time with this test? Wondering if there is a hiring freeze or not, or if it takes a bajillion years to get hired..

Also does anyone have any experience taking their test? The only thing I know to expect is that it is multiple choice.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2009, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
11,573 posts, read 22,669,562 times
Reputation: 3882
i heard there is a hiring freeze.. what website did you use for the nevada jobs
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 03:20 PM
 
844 posts, read 1,769,042 times
Reputation: 485
I can't say, but I will share my experience with you. I applied for a job, took some tests, did a phone interview, got called in for an interview in person a month later, and after an additional month was told that I was not good enough & that they are still looking for someone. Very efficient people!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 04:47 PM
 
Location: SW Las Vegas
109 posts, read 445,879 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i heard there is a hiring freeze.. what website did you use for the nevada jobs

Terrific..lol

I used their Dept of personnel site:

Department of Personnel
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
11,573 posts, read 22,669,562 times
Reputation: 3882
i applied for the title clerk position at the dmv.... plenty of experience.. told of hiring freeze....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
12,686 posts, read 30,964,098 times
Reputation: 5358
I worked for the State of Nevada for almost 14 years. I have taken about a gillion tests for different positions. The tests are not all multiple choice and they vary depending on the position. What position did you apply for? They will have to be hiring in DETR since the unemployment keeps getting higher. If the job was posted it will more than likely be filled, but no guarantee. For my first job it was several months before I heard from them. Actually I think it was six months before I got an interview, then a short while after that they offed me the job. During my time with the State we were encouraged to apply for every job that comes up. Even though you may have taken the same test 100 times, you have to take it each time. Your score will determine if you get an interview as they take the top blankety blank highest test results depending on how many positions they have to fill. If you interview well you may get an offer, but I have seen them decide at the last minute not to hire anybody.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 09:29 AM
 
Location: SW Las Vegas
109 posts, read 445,879 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I worked for the State of Nevada for almost 14 years. I have taken about a gillion tests for different positions. The tests are not all multiple choice and they vary depending on the position. What position did you apply for? They will have to be hiring in DETR since the unemployment keeps getting higher. If the job was posted it will more than likely be filled, but no guarantee. For my first job it was several months before I heard from them. Actually I think it was six months before I got an interview, then a short while after that they offed me the job. During my time with the State we were encouraged to apply for every job that comes up. Even though you may have taken the same test 100 times, you have to take it each time. Your score will determine if you get an interview as they take the top blankety blank highest test results depending on how many positions they have to fill. If you interview well you may get an offer, but I have seen them decide at the last minute not to hire anybody.

I applied for admin asst III, but it does not list the department, it just says various.

Thanks for the input Buzz. It helps to have an idea of the process. Lol
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Sitting on a park bench...
2,753 posts, read 5,756,218 times
Reputation: 738
I've heard that the unemployment department is hiring, but their site doesn't list any careers. Also, the 2010 Census Bureau is hiring for temp positions (up to 10+ weeks), and the pay at least $14.50 per hour. You take a 28 question test, and only have to get ten right. The ph# to set up an appointment to take the test is 866-861-2010.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 08:38 PM
 
25 posts, read 111,778 times
Reputation: 13
I work for the state under mental health; i commonly see hiring slots for AAs but as far as I know (and I am in the know through the various meetings held) there is a freeze in hiring. The slots are still advertised because there are going to be current employees who will get pink slips, thus they are offered chances for lateral entry by being told of the available slots that are of immediate need. Basically the unemployment ax is going for those of less seniority levels and also where cuts to personnel are being done. I will tell you also that the agency I believe is still open to hiring physicians like me because there wouldn't be an agency to exist without doctors and there is always a shortage of doctors....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
12,686 posts, read 30,964,098 times
Reputation: 5358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimm View Post
I applied for admin asst III, but it does not list the department, it just says various.

Thanks for the input Buzz. It helps to have an idea of the process. Lol
That is not a classified position so they could just hire you if they like you without going through all of the red tape. But there will be some.

Here's some info about older workers losing jobs. Good thing about the state is I don't think anyone there cares how old you are. Elderly Emerge as a New Class of Workers -- and the Jobless - WSJ.com
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top