U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:46 AM

23 posts, read 149,677 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me if the little winged gnat type insects I'm finding in my house lately are a Spring thing in Las Vegas?

I've been trying to figure out where they were coming from. I don't have any old fruit in the house (fruit flies) and I don't have any plants either (fungus gnats). This morning my husband pointed out there were quite a few of them flying around outside in the morning sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 03:00 PM

444 posts, read 1,429,098 times
Send a direct message to BugBully on this forum. She is very helpful and capable.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:20 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,909,831 times
Not sure what exact gnat it is. Do you have grass or trees outside? We are going to have an interesting bug year, due to the weird weather, and rain. I have them at our house outside by our bushes and trees. Most of the time you get them inside due to new plants or fruit, which you said you did not have. Also try getting a cleaner for your drain. Sometimes they will hang around the sink area, because of all the build-up, usually around the garbage disposal.

There is not much you can do for them, due to them being a flying insect. We can not legally just go around spraying product in the air. LOL!

Old 02-25-2009, 08:31 PM

12,686 posts, read 30,964,098 times
They started showing up in Las Vegas about 8 or 10 years ago. Didn't used to be here. They seem to only live indoors. They drive me nuts too. There usually aren't very many but one will really irritate you like a democrat explaining the economy. They are as hard to whack in the air as they are to put your finger on one in the dogs' water bowl. They don't seem to hurt anything except they do get in the toilets and then land on stuff so I don't know if they spread disease or not since their little feets are so small.

Along the same lines, about 2 or 3 years ago now, a strange little bug showed up in this country that nobody, even experts on the internet, can seem to identify. They look like a speck of pepper and seem to just pop up like popcorn out of nowhere. One second there won't be any and the next there is one or a dozen crawling around on my bathroom counter, or in the shower. Nothing seems to phase them. I've tried boric acid and poison spray, plus we have an exterminator who tried something. They crawl right through it. You have to use a magnifying glass to see them close enough to tell what they look like, but they resemble an ant, except they aren't ants. I saw a line of them on the sidewalk heading for my house one day. Now I can't find them outside, but I still see them inside. I'll squish them with my finger and they go away for an hour or even a day or two, then come back again.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:19 PM

13,819 posts, read 24,545,114 times
Those are called tourists....or unwanted relatives.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:33 PM

3 posts, read 25,909 times
Went outside and found millions of small insects on the drive way, on our house walls, everywhere especially in the grass. I have no idea what they are, maybe baby cockroaches. Their not ants or termits. Anyone have an idea what they are.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:43 PM

I looked at these small insects through a magnifying glass, they have four legs but no wings. They travel in a line like ants, but their not ants. Does baby cockroaches travel in millions in the sunlight and
swam by the thousands.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkersen View Post
I looked at these small insects through a magnifying glass, they have four legs but no wings. They travel in a line like ants, but their not ants. Does baby cockroaches travel in millions in the sunlight and
swam by the thousands.
Nope, cockroaches are pretty much nocturnal, unless you have an infestation or you invade their hiding space.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockAAAA View Post
Send a direct message to BugBully on this forum. She is very helpful and capable.
Do cockroache babys swarm by the thousands in the day light. Went out side and saw millions if these little creatures everywhere. What do you think they can be???

Old 05-04-2009, 08:54 PM

Could be springtails, could not be sure with out seeing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or