Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 03:57 PM

5 posts, read 28,739 times

Advertisements

We have been trying to sell our Las Vegas home for the past year. It was appraised at $460 in Aug of '07. We now have it listed at $205 with a realtor in a short sell. We owe $299.
We have moved out of state due to work and don't really like leaving it empty what with all the vandelism in Vegas. Our short sell contract is up in 10 days.
do we wait and still try to short sell or just give it back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 04:04 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
how long has it been for sale? has your credit been destroyed?

Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
A Deed in Lieu is an option but you would be better off asking this question of your lender. They are the ones that have to agree to it, and agree not to hold you responsible for the shortage. It can be the least of all evils to your credit, if they cooperate. An attorney experienced in RE law would also be a good person with whom to discuss this issue.

Good luck.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:29 AM

85 posts, read 269,902 times
I doubt the bank would do that.My friend was in the same boat in Vegas and the bank said no. I think everyone would do that if it was easy... You probably will have to short sale and take a hit on your credit. It isn't the end of the world. You will eventually recover. Do you have a second on the house? The second could give you a problem. The first will probably take what they can get. Are you still paying the mortgage?

Old 03-02-2009, 09:39 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellieann View Post
I doubt the bank would do that.My friend was in the same boat in Vegas and the bank said no. I think everyone would do that if it was easy... You probably will have to short sale and take a hit on your credit. It isn't the end of the world. You will eventually recover. Do you have a second on the house? The second could give you a problem. The first will probably take what they can get. Are you still paying the mortgage?
A deed in lieu is considered the same as a foreclousre for all practical purposes. A short sale is probably a little less damaging.

Any of the three however cause credit hits for some years.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:39 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebabe View Post
We have been trying to sell our Las Vegas home for the past year. It was appraised at $460 in Aug of '07. We now have it listed at $205 with a realtor in a short sell. We owe $299.
We have moved out of state due to work and don't really like leaving it empty what with all the vandelism in Vegas. Our short sell contract is up in 10 days.
do we wait and still try to short sell or just give it back?
The lender is under no requirements to voluntarily take your property back. They can foreclose through legal means.

My question is - have you contacted the lender? Lenders are now stepping up to the plate and offering mitigations that might help you.

As to your question: I'd keep it listed and try to sell it. Properties are selling in Las Vegas.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:02 PM

5 posts, read 28,739 times
It has been on the market for one year. And, yes I have talked to the lender. They said if we short sell and they accept the offer, we would not be liable for the difference. They also said that after 90 days on the market as a short sell we could do a deed in lieu of. Now I am reading that the IRS can come after us for the difference, that is pay taxes on the difference of what we owe and what it sells for. Between a rock and a hard place.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:04 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
It has been on the market for one year. And, yes I have talked to the lender. They said if we short sell and they accept the offer, we would not be liable for the difference. They also said that after 90 days on the market as a short sell we could do a deed in lieu of. Now I am reading that the IRS can come after us for the difference, that is pay taxes on the difference of what we owe and what it sells for. Between a rock and a hard place.
There is a Moritorium on the "forgiveness of debt" rule (the IRS rule you have been reading) if the property is your primary personal residence. So, I would not get too worried about that for the moment

Old 03-03-2009, 04:44 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:

As GD said you are on sound ground as long as it is or was your principle residence. That moratorium extends to 2012.

If you have the option try hard to get the short sale. Both are damaging but the short less so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: