Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 03:00 PM

255 posts, read 556,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
According to the Bernake interview Sunday, he is hoping and expecting to see improvement in the latter part of this year.
Sure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 09:50 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,447,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
he is hoping and expecting to see improvement in the latter part of this year....

a better helicopter?
That's classic, although I don't suppose most people will know what you're referring to.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:57 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasto View Post
This article came up in discussion a couple weeks back. I think i remember someone saying RE propaganda or somehting alond the lines. But dang as a soon to be LV homeowner, stuff like this makes me anxious to jump on buying a house this year as opposed to next year like i was planning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkme View Post
That would be nice I plan on buying something soon...
I don't know that I would necessarily "jump on" anything soon based on fear of an immediate recovery and being priced out (or even priced up) of the market.

The way I see it is this: If you can comfortably afford to buy a home (including everything that goes with it, not just the monthly outlay) and are stable in your current employment, then by all means it may make sense for you to buy rather than rent (particularly if your mortgage payment is equal or similar to your current rent payment). If you a) had to deplete all of your liquid assets for the down payment, b) are currently living check to check or would be with a mortgage payment, or c) are not currently at least 90% sure (there is no 100%) about your current stability of employment then I would think twice and maybe even three times about buying.

That being said, I believe that in the second half of this year we will start to see rates climb again (not these small 0.5%-1% fluctuations but a steady rise in average rates to the tune of 2%-3% although gradually). The quantative easing effort the Treasury is using to keep mortgage rates low right now (MBS purchases) will likely be tapped out towards the middle of the summer.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:02 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
That's classic, although I don't suppose most people will know what you're referring to.

2 million deutsche markes to mail a letter?

Or perhaps a slew of these hot off the presses.

http://www.news-antique.com/primages/$100,000_Series_1934_Gold_Certificate.JPG (broken link)

Old 03-17-2009, 10:04 PM

3 posts, read 15,833 times
Helicopter Ben - in a 2002 Speech at Washington Press Club:

Paraphrased: The federal reserve has total control of something called a printing press, therefore with a fiat currency you can always overcome deflation by printing money and dropping it from Helicopters - exactly what they are doing today.

click picture for full effect
Attached Thumbnails
Real Estate Recovery in 2011??-captcrunch.jpg  

Old 03-17-2009, 10:12 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,447,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrarian View Post
click picture for full effect
Nice!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:26 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpachigo View Post
Maybe 3011 but certainly not 2011. Lawrence FunYun is nothing but a real estate propagandist who's been wrong for the past two years. He should be mocked and laughed at much like many real estate propagandists.
So basically he's the Jim Cramer of real estate?

Old 03-18-2009, 08:40 AM

844 posts, read 2,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
I don't know that I would necessarily "jump on" anything soon based on fear of an immediate recovery and being priced out (or even priced up) of the market.

The way I see it is this: If you can comfortably afford to buy a home (including everything that goes with it, not just the monthly outlay) and are stable in your current employment, then by all means it may make sense for you to buy rather than rent (particularly if your mortgage payment is equal or similar to your current rent payment). If you a) had to deplete all of your liquid assets for the down payment, b) are currently living check to check or would be with a mortgage payment, or c) are not currently at least 90% sure (there is no 100%) about your current stability of employment then I would think twice and maybe even three times about buying.

That being said, I believe that in the second half of this year we will start to see rates climb again (not these small 0.5%-1% fluctuations but a steady rise in average rates to the tune of 2%-3% although gradually). The quantative easing effort the Treasury is using to keep mortgage rates low right now (MBS purchases) will likely be tapped out towards the middle of the summer.
Thank you for this well thought out advice.

I doubt we will ever "recover". We have reached a new low in political corruption, and the country/world will never be the same. I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see how things can get better???

That said, if I wait to buy something, and a miracle happens... then I am again left out of the market. If I buy, and things get worse, then what does it matter that I am another foreclosure statistic? The country will be in tatters anyway... might as well have a stake in the pain... having stacks of worthless dollars laying around won't make me feel better about it.

Perhaps I am being foolish & pessimistic about it all, but there just isn't a precedent for this situation. Believe me I have lost many nights of sleep over the state of affairs, and have developed quite the drinking habit

Old 03-18-2009, 10:03 AM

84 posts, read 152,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post

I appreciate the insight. I'll give you the low-down on my master plan (no affiliation with the aforementioned deutches reichstadt mark o_O); I'm in the Air Force so I'm about 98% sure of my job security, currently in Germany for another month then I'm off to Honduras for one year while my wife goes to Tucson, upon my return I'll be stationed with Vegas bringing the wife with. While in Hondo I'll be saving up a nice chunk of change to put towards purchasing a house in Vegas with a VA loan. I know I don't need a down payment but I also know that I can get better rates with a decent savings account as well. Now I'm wanting to stay in LV for as long as I can (at least 8 years, preferably longer). So I'd like to use my housing allowance towards a mortgage payment as opposed to just dwindling it away with rent especially since my wife and I would like to stay in LV indefinitely. So what I am thinking now if now is the absolute best time to buy a house is going ahead and jumping on that band wagon and my wife stays in the purchased house in LV instead of back in Tucson. It's a gamble. Go figure.

I've been perusing this forum for months now and only just started getting active. So I'd like to throw a thanks out there for all the people throwing in the great information so people like me are in the know when transplanting in Vegas.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:27 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
I would keep watching the LV market and interest rates in general. I see nothing that should concern you before summer but I also see change coming around that point. I however have no idea whether it would be "good" or "bad" change for someone in your position.

So pay attention and try to manuever so you can respond if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas