U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-26-2009, 02:11 PM
 
28 posts, read 48,916 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

family~artsy~affordable~small town anything resembling these things near Las Vegas?? we are thinking of relocating for a job...
dont know where to start.
right now we live in just that sort of area in NY state...
outside NYC(artsy),on our dirt roads (small town )...and we love it.
We are in the arts, so culture and tolerance have to go hand in hand with affordability and good public school.
We have animals and would hopr to rent something within 40 minutes of vegas (travel time).
*please realize I know Las Vegas is NOTHING like where we live, but the fact is we might have TO MOVE FOR A JOB. So I would love some opinions abt. where to start.

(approx. 100k a year)

and of course...thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2009, 02:35 PM
 
36 posts, read 90,922 times
Reputation: 16
The short answer is, no that does not exist in Vegas! Hopefully others will be more helpful though..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 02:49 PM
 
367 posts, read 681,612 times
Reputation: 243
Yeah, one thing that was a shocker to me moving here vs. Memphis/KC/St. Louis/Washington DC... is that once you get out of Las Vegas, there isn't that gradual move from city to suburbs to rural (as you go away from downtown), with historic towns - many of them college towns - within commute distance to downtown...

It's Las Vegas, then... mostly nothing at all.

There may be a few exceptions to the "nothing", but it's not anything close to what you're picturing. There may be neighborhoods that way - perhaps someone who's lived here longer than I can recommend one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas (Huntridge)
1,158 posts, read 3,054,559 times
Reputation: 269
i'd say maybe boulder city? dunno about the schools, though. but it does have a small town feel to it w/ a cool little downtown area (pretty small, though)

aside from that, the population density of NV doesn't give the small town near a big city thing you seem to want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 03:03 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,484,948 times
Reputation: 2661
Boulder City may work...as may the half acres islands scattered in various places around town that play ruralish. The ones north of Rancho and Cheyenne or perhaps even the mid cities ones around oakey and Arville.

Affordable is the tough one. Particularly with animals.

Pahrump though a bit longer drive and you have to substitute redneck for artsy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 03:16 PM
 
367 posts, read 681,612 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Pahrump though a bit longer drive and you have to substitute redneck for artsy.
Thank you for the giggle of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
3,728 posts, read 8,212,165 times
Reputation: 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckngbrd View Post
family~artsy~affordable~small town anything resembling these things near Las Vegas?? we are thinking of relocating for a job...
dont know where to start.
right now we live in just that sort of area in NY state...
outside NYC(artsy),on our dirt roads (small town )...and we love it.
We are in the arts, so culture and tolerance have to go hand in hand with affordability and good public school.
We have animals and would hopr to rent something within 40 minutes of vegas (travel time).
*please realize I know Las Vegas is NOTHING like where we live, but the fact is we might have TO MOVE FOR A JOB. So I would love some opinions abt. where to start.

(approx. 100k a year)

and of course...thanks for your help.
You won't have the "culture" unless it's neon culture and art you're looking for, but you'll get plenty of tolerance. You won't get "small town" whatsoever, 40 minutes out of Las Vegas with a dirt road and you have animals might get you maybe up on Mt. Charleston. But mind you, there is NOTHING up there, no shopping-you'll have to come down, come into the "Las Vegas limits" and go back up the mountain for that. There is no town up there, just roads (some dirt) with homes on them (horses, pigs, goats, etc.)

Affordability, you might get with your income, but public schools are just OK and show as the lowest ranking on most school lists nationwide.

Las Vegas is the complete opposite of what you are looking for (in my opinion) based on what your wrote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 03:41 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,484,948 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
You won't have the "culture" unless it's neon culture and art you're looking for, but you'll get plenty of tolerance. You won't get "small town" whatsoever, 40 minutes out of Las Vegas with a dirt road and you have animals might get you maybe up on Mt. Charleston. But mind you, there is NOTHING up there, no shopping-you'll have to come down, come into the "Las Vegas limits" and go back up the mountain for that. There is no town up there, just roads (some dirt) with homes on them (horses, pigs, goats, etc.)

Affordability, you might get with your income, but public schools are just OK and show as the lowest ranking on most school lists nationwide.

Las Vegas is the complete opposite of what you are looking for (in my opinion) based on what your wrote
Actually mom2 Las Vegas schools are a good bit better than NYC....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2009, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
3,728 posts, read 8,212,165 times
Reputation: 1311
I disagree somewhat, Nevada pays the least per pupil, and NYC schools pay a lot per pupil, things like books, programs, electives, sports and quality/caliber of teachers is higher in NYC, but the basic ABC's of curriculum are about the same between Nevada and NYS and anywhere else in the country.

We're off topic...

Last edited by MomMom; 02-26-2009 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top