U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Nevada vs. Florida, tell me about: las Vegas homes for sale, bugs, humidity, diversity.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:25 AM

15,699 posts, read 34,703,311 times

Advertisements

Anyone in NV also lived in So. Florida before? (Broward Co. in particular - Fort Lauderdale and proximity)?

Whenever I get back to the States...Southern Nevada is 1st choice...Southern Florida is second....Arizona is third....and CA/HI are pipedreams due to outrageous housing costs!

I go back and forth on Florida...kinda feeling that due to it being a major drug center into the U.S. as an obvious negative and lack of Asian restaurants among other things...even if I were to give it a try, I'd probably be Westward bound within a year or two because of those factors. Plus I love beaches and ocean, but I don't see myself really spending much time there, sad to say.

YET...I remain curious about Southern Florida nontheless! Anyone have some comparisons to give...or impressions or any other general feeling?

I drove all around Florida...and Broward County was the only area I really liked it...and Clearwater to a lesser extent - although Tampa itself wasn't very appealing.

I'm using the Vegas forums as a frame of reference, as I have a strong interest in Nevada and hoping to get a comparison to it in some interesting way I might not expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 12:02 PM

207 posts, read 825,008 times
Grew up in Plantation, FL, (Plantation Acres to be specific) and pretty much lived in S FL until I was 23. I will never, ever go back to live and it'd take some kind of special event to make me go back just to visit. That's just me, I've discovered in myself that I am a big city/desert guy who hates humidity, bugs, and 2 a.m. last calls. It also kills me that it's called the Sunshine State when it rained so often. Not light showers; I'm talking about debilitating T-storms that would cancel things you had planned.

It seems from your list of places you don't want cold winters and enjoy a somewhat consistent warm/tropical climate. I'd find out which you prefer, punishing dry heat or ungodly humid heat. That'd probably narrow down your choices significantly. If you're being cheap with the no state income tax thing, NV is the cheaper overall in terms of cost of living and housing. That's from feel more than hard data so take that FWIW.

If you're an outdoors/hiking/camping type there is definitely more variety out here. If you enjoy boating,fishing, beaches then FL has a slight edge (bigger obviously if you are more of an ocean person).

Old 03-01-2009, 04:34 PM

1,476 posts, read 4,036,420 times
I grew up in Oakland Park, which borders Fort Lauderdale.

I actually miss those afternoon thunderstorms.

Vegas is behind in ethnic diversity. Mexicans dominate Vegas, while South Florida is much more of a melting pot.

Crime about the same if you ask me, some parts of Broward County I feel are much worse the the high crime areas of Vegas.

I was still in school in the 80s but knew Fort Lauderdale was the place to be for spring break.

If I did not join the military I would still probably still be in Broward County.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:47 PM

219 posts, read 663,850 times
I've lived in Las Vegas, the Texas Coast, and South Dade County(Homestead), and now Phoenix. Nothing could get Us to move back to South Florida. Just is not worth it.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:47 PM

15,699 posts, read 34,703,311 times
Some good points on here, so far!

MOSQUITOS - that is an interesting NV over FL aspect I do think about. No mosquitos is pretty amazing.

Dry/Humid - I'm fairly indifferent, as long as it isn't bitter cold in the winter

Boating/Fishing - one I'm not that interested in, however beaches is a major plus. Otherwise, the Red Rock and desert and little 3-wheelers going in the desert sound much more interesting to me! Beaches could be approachable to L.A., which it sounds like if living in FL, most people don't hit the beaches that often anyways.

24 hour Vegas IS appealing. I love the idea of being able to do anything at anytime.

Melting Pot So.Florida...I do like the large mix of Latin cultures...wish Asian was more represented there however, but otherwise large mix of Colombian, Cuban, Brazilian, Carribbean, etc. wins out over predominately Mexican only.

------

To Woody...Homestead is awful! I did visit that town, and not good! I also visited Coastal Texas, and kinda interesting, but not as interesting as Florida. How is Phoenix? Are you thinking of Vegas over PHX?

Old 03-02-2009, 01:44 AM

219 posts, read 663,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Some good points on here, so far!

MOSQUITOS - that is an interesting NV over FL aspect I do think about. No mosquitos is pretty amazing.

Dry/Humid - I'm fairly indifferent, as long as it isn't bitter cold in the winter

Boating/Fishing - one I'm not that interested in, however beaches is a major plus. Otherwise, the Red Rock and desert and little 3-wheelers going in the desert sound much more interesting to me! Beaches could be approachable to L.A., which it sounds like if living in FL, most people don't hit the beaches that often anyways.

24 hour Vegas IS appealing. I love the idea of being able to do anything at anytime.

Melting Pot So.Florida...I do like the large mix of Latin cultures...wish Asian was more represented there however, but otherwise large mix of Colombian, Cuban, Brazilian, Carribbean, etc. wins out over predominately Mexican only.

------

To Woody...Homestead is awful! I did visit that town, and not good! I also visited Coastal Texas, and kinda interesting, but not as interesting as Florida. How is Phoenix? Are you thinking of Vegas over PHX?
For the most part Your right about Homestead. We lived east of the turnpike in Keysgate. It was very nice neighborhood, but the rest of the town is a mess. One cool thing was We wre about 20 min to Key Largo.As far as Phoenix it's been a good fit for Us. My Wife makes a little more as a RN than Miami or Las Vegas and the taxes on Our home are much more reasonable. Phoenix is much larger than Vegas. However after living in Las Vegas We do miss all the action . If We could do it all over I wish We never left. Good luck!

Last edited by Woody7; 03-02-2009 at 02:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or