U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-13-2009, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
3,728 posts, read 8,221,624 times
Reputation: 1311

Advertisements

I just have one question for you cregard..didn't you know about the desert heat before moving here?

I continually hear people complaining about the dry, desert heat here in Las Vegas and I have to wonder why these people didn't know about it before they moved here? I mean, IT IS the desert!

Nevertheless, much good luck to you and the wife in Oregon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2009, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
108 posts, read 254,216 times
Reputation: 93
Give me the dry heat any day! I'll take 100+ with low humidity or 90+ with high. Not to mention that bugs and mold seem to enjoy the wetter air also. Now, I'll admit that I like seeing the fireflies in the summer but you can keep the mosquitoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 12:21 PM
 
Location: South Strip, NV --> Philly (Fall 2009)
2,404 posts, read 9,533,608 times
Reputation: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLudi View Post
Give me the dry heat any day! I'll take 100+ with low humidity or 90+ with high. Not to mention that bugs and mold seem to enjoy the wetter air also. Now, I'll admit that I like seeing the fireflies in the summer but you can keep the mosquitoes.
keep telling yourself that when you have dry skin, nosebleeds, and a stuffy nose all the time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
5,607 posts, read 20,210,251 times
Reputation: 5311
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
keep telling yourself that when you have dry skin, nosebleeds, and a stuffy nose all the time...
Those can be easily fixed... nasal spray, lotion, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2009, 02:42 PM
 
219 posts, read 664,431 times
Reputation: 115
Yes that saline nose spray is great. Another idea is a humidifier for the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2009, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Kingman AZ
15,371 posts, read 33,803,924 times
Reputation: 8977
MOMX2....Real Estate slaes people have to get buyers to sign a disclaimer sayin that "There is GAMBLING in Las Vegas" maybe they should also have em sing one that says "It gets hot here....it's the desert....suck it up"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2009, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
10 posts, read 25,265 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
I just have one question for you cregard..didn't you know about the desert heat before moving here?

I continually hear people complaining about the dry, desert heat here in Las Vegas and I have to wonder why these people didn't know about it before they moved here? I mean, IT IS the desert!

Nevertheless, much good luck to you and the wife in Oregon!
Mommom, I did know that it is hot and dry here when I moved here, didn't mind it for a while. However, as people age and mature (I was 24 when I moved here 10 years ago) and their lives change (young children now) their tastes and tolerances change. Parents have to consider their childrens needs and wants, not just their own! You might notice that I mentioned I can't imagine living here in the heat any longer based on the fact that I have 3 children now. The heat makes it difficult for them to play outside in the summer and enjoy it.

The OP asked about the summers and how long they last (and has a daughter) so I was RESPONDING to the OP's questions. My post is my opinion of Vegas now, 10 years after moving here. I can assure you that 10 years ago I wouldn't have responded in the same manner as I was new to the area and it was all still fresh, new and exciting.

Your post accuses me of not doing my homework prior to moving hear and complaining about the heat that I should have know was in the desert. I knew about it, still do, but it just doesn't fit my lifestyle any longer!

If you have any advice that you would like to give the OP about Vegas then feel free to let them know YOUR OPINION as I have taken the time to let them KNOW MINE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2009, 03:30 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,530,126 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgerard View Post
Mommom, I did know that it is hot and dry here when I moved here, didn't mind it for a while. However, as people age and mature (I was 24 when I moved here 10 years ago) and their lives change (young children now) their tastes and tolerances change. Parents have to consider their childrens needs and wants, not just their own! You might notice that I mentioned I can't imagine living here in the heat any longer based on the fact that I have 3 children now. The heat makes it difficult for them to play outside in the summer and enjoy it.

The OP asked about the summers and how long they last (and has a daughter) so I was RESPONDING to the OP's questions. My post is my opinion of Vegas now, 10 years after moving here. I can assure you that 10 years ago I wouldn't have responded in the same manner as I was new to the area and it was all still fresh, new and exciting.

Your post accuses me of not doing my homework prior to moving hear and complaining about the heat that I should have know was in the desert. I knew about it, still do, but it just doesn't fit my lifestyle any longer!

If you have any advice that you would like to give the OP about Vegas then feel free to let them know YOUR OPINION as I have taken the time to let them KNOW MINE!
We are well past the age of children but we would point out that children seem in general to be immune to heat. The preteens are out on the vacant lot in the middle of the aftedrnoon in July jumping their bikes over dirt piles.

The swimming pools abound with young life forms on those hot afternoons.

We sometimes suspect that the impact of heat on the young is almost entirely driven by parental concerns.

We normally give up outside at around 100 or 102. But we still enjoy the heat. The Admiral complains all winter for the heat to return. We go away in January not July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2009, 04:34 PM
 
Location: South Strip, NV --> Philly (Fall 2009)
2,404 posts, read 9,533,608 times
Reputation: 625
i give up once the weather is 75 degrees and there's that hot dry air breeze, just wayyyy too hot out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2009, 04:40 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,530,126 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
i give up once the weather is 75 degrees, just wayyyy too hot out...
Kid - I grew up in Louisville Ky. We played basketball in the hot sun when it was 95 and 95...We gobbled salt tablets and could actually stand there having a soft drink and a puddle would form around your feet.

Now that was hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top