U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,882 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I was hoping to get a little information from you on moving to Las Vegas. My husband has been offered a position in North Las Vegas. I don't know anything about the area at all, so I was hoping for a little direction. We have a small daughter who is about 18 months, so we would like to live in a family-friendly area where neighbors also have young families. Safe, of course. Parks nearby would be nice. We are looking at buying a home rather than rent an apartment or condo.
Again, I know virtually nothing about the area (other than the Strip, which I hope to avoid!
In reading some of the threads, I've heard names like Summerlin, Mt Edge and Henderson. Are these areas okay for living with a family? Are they safe and do they have a low crime-rate? Any other suggestions?
Thanks so much for your time and for your suggestions! We look forward to seeing what Vegas has to offer!
---Kay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 08:28 AM

11,585 posts, read 22,698,928 times
It all depends what your budget it is... Mt. Edge is foreclosure ridden.. Henderson has great areas as well as troubled areas... Summerlin is nice but very pricey.. Alot of us on this board live in the North West.. a bit out of the way.. but you get the most bang for the buck.. hands down!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:44 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,101,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
It all depends what your budget it is... Mt. Edge is foreclosure ridden.. Henderson has great areas as well as troubled areas... Summerlin is nice but very pricey.. Alot of us on this board live in the North West.. a bit out of the way.. but you get the most bang for the buck.. hands down!
Agreed, although if the commute is to North Las Vegas it's not really out of the way at all. The commute from Henderson to North Las Vegas would not be very pleasant at all.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:10 AM

15,756 posts, read 32,515,312 times
You are an obvious candidate for Aliante which is in the western part of NLV. And you can continue west from there into the NW...Centennial Town.

Lots of buys and rentals in that area. Nice, young family oriented and an easy commute.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:39 AM

1,365 posts, read 3,913,525 times
I personally would stick with North Las Vegas, or the North West. I have lived in this area for about 7 to 8 years, and love it. I have a 4 year old, and there are about 6 parks with in a couple miles of me, that I take my daughter to. They all have different little things about them, so we just pick one for that day.

For homes there are some really good deals out there, you just have to look. We had specific things we wanted, and I looked through about 200 properties online, and narrowed it down, and was able to find the one we are buying with in a week.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:05 PM

444 posts, read 1,430,092 times
If you can be very very specific about price range, # of bedrooms, # of baths, etc and other needs/desires, the folks on this forum will be very very helpful and very specific with their responses. They are a terrific group.

As noted, unless you have big bucks or hubby wants a bad commute, stick with Aliante and look directly west and northwest of there. The local realtor association's website allows guests to look at their listings which helps to narrow things down. If someone here strikes your fancy, as in they speak your language, you could direct message them to learn more about a realtor, a mortgage broker, etc. As long as you become prequalified, you are right on target for making a great buy.

Good Luck and Welcome.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:57 PM

1,476 posts, read 4,038,502 times
There are plenty of nice areas in North Las Vegas, prices a way down and now is a good time to buy.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:12 PM

37 posts, read 90,912 times
Watch out for HOA fees. Try to get close to Aliante without the high masterplan fees and HOA fees.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:19 PM

14 posts, read 33,906 times
May I piggy back on this thread and ask what the HOA fees usually run?

Say the cheapest vs the most expensive? Average cost?

Old 03-04-2009, 11:28 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,913,525 times
I have lived in two communities with fees. I had one that was gated, and the gate was always breaking. On that one we paid about $80.00 a month. We are moving into a home that is not gated, but really does not have any common areas and we are going to be paying $14.00.

There are some out there that are expensive, but they also take care of the front yard. Like pulling weeds and stuff like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas