Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 04:55 PM

81 posts, read 474,963 times

Advertisements

So the gf and I just rented a house in the Terrasano Community in Centennial Hills and we're pretty excited to move in (next month). We've done a little driving around the area and it really is quite nice.

What we'd like to know is what are some 'secrets' about the area? Any great neighborhood bars? Great places to take the dog for a walk? Any random good tidbits that people familiar with the area could tell us? We are moving from around GVR up to here and can't wait.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 05:08 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times
There is a dog park on Elkhorn and Buffalo I believe but if you are not into that you can take the dog out past Bilbray Elementary in 89143 and do the desert hike thing. If you are into Mexican food there is a Roberto's on Farm and Cimmaron or for the sit down restaraunt experience hit up Lindo Michoacan next to Red Robin in Centennial Center. There is a real barber (not stylist or Supercuts) next to Vons on Buffalo across from the library and YMCA. This barber does shaves as well as cuts (haven't got a shave yet). If you want to hit up a bar I would suggest the Timber's (or is it a Lodge) on Grand Teton and Durango. If you like steak try Bob Taylor's Ranch House off of Azure and Rainbow, I believe. There is a bird sanctuary on Racel and Cimarron. There was a restaraunt that was excellent there called Silk Purse Ranch I believe, but is now only open for big receptions and stuff. The Gilcrease orchard is pretty cool, and if you are into fresh eggs I believe that there is a person across the street from the orchard that sells them. Floyd Lamb park is always nice. There is also a gun range out here, although you can never hear the guns. If you are into paintball there is a public outdoor paintball field over by Iron Mountain Ranch. On the 4th of July and New Years Eve head over to the top of 215 by Lone Mountain for the best view of the fireworks.

That's all I can think of for now.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:37 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times
The dog at Elkhorn and Buffalo is ok, but I prefer the one at Alexander and Tenaya. It's behind the tennis courts, and its only downside is that it doesn't have lights. What you expect for a flood zone? Sorry that I can't help you with bars.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:05 PM

Awesome start here, thanks Daddys and aqualung. We're going to be adopting at least one racing greyhound, so therefore, a fully enclosed dog park (is that redundant?) is a must for the guy to stretch his legs.

As for the other things, like I said, we drove around a bit the other day and found the Smith's shopping center (which is quite close...very ideal). We're excited to finally be out there.

Oh, one more thing that I forgot to ask about (and Daddys kinda touched on this) is a farmer's market. He mentioned "Gilcrease orchard", but not sure if that's a 'farmer's market' or just an orchard for apples or what not.

Thanks again, all!

Old 02-24-2009, 09:35 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eapeas View Post
Awesome start here, thanks Daddys and aqualung. We're going to be adopting at least one racing greyhound, so therefore, a fully enclosed dog park (is that redundant?) is a must for the guy to stretch his legs.

As for the other things, like I said, we drove around a bit the other day and found the Smith's shopping center (which is quite close...very ideal). We're excited to finally be out there.

Oh, one more thing that I forgot to ask about (and Daddys kinda touched on this) is a farmer's market. He mentioned "Gilcrease orchard", but not sure if that's a 'farmer's market' or just an orchard for apples or what not.

Thanks again, all!
Thought you guys were all set for Pecos and Wigwam.

The Lodge is at Grand Teton and Durango.

Some reasonable brunches at the Clubhouse at Silverstone.

Shucks across from Smiths is quite good for a little shellfish. They do a grand job on a thing called a clambake.

Not a Bob Taylors fan for steaks but it is a good place for a little drinking and video poker. Swings during Rodeo time.

The pizza joint next to Radio Shack in the Walmart/Sams plaza is first class.

Gilcrease is a pick your own place during the season. No real farmers market. If I remember there is a farmers market in Aliante. Pink?

Sushi Loca next to Red Robin is pretty good if you don't mind loud music with your sushi. Actually better for Japanese dining than for sushi.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:50 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post

Shucks across from Smiths is quite good for a little shellfish. They do a grand job on a thing called a clambake.

Not a Bob Taylors fan for steaks but it is a good place for a little drinking and video poker. Swings during Rodeo time.

Gilcrease is a pick your own place during the season. No real farmers market. If I remember there is a farmers market in Aliante. Pink?

Sushi Loca next to Red Robin is pretty good if you don't mind loud music with your sushi. Actually better for Japanese dining than for sushi.
Are you talking about Mark Rich's? If so then you are correct sir! I absolutely love their NY dogs (hot dogs with red sauce and onions) and their pies are pretty good too, although not as good as VZ's.

For sushi I prefer Sushi Ko off of Craig and US-95.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post

Sweet, thanks Jim!

As for the house, well...we kept looking around and for the price, as long as we didn't mind moving to a different part of town, we could get considerably more 'bang for the buck' type thing.

We actually settled on a great, 3 BR, 2.5 Bath, 2400 sq ft. place and almost the entire downstairs is a great room. Really ideal for us.

That said, if anyone ever needs a realtor, I'd highly suggest hitting up olecapt. He really goes the extra mile for you!

Feel free to keep the suggestions/recommendations for CH's coming guys!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:20 PM

37 posts, read 101,520 times
Last year, the Farmer's Market was every Thursday or Friday at Dinosaur Discovery Park in Aliante. It's not that much of a drive. Just hop on 215 to Aliante Pkwy and it's right there. I don't know if they still do it though.

Las Vegas Farmers Market Home Page lists some sites too.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:19 PM

252 posts, read 905,849 times
They also have a farmer's market at the Springs Preserve on Thursday nights in the spring, but when I went the pickin's were pretty slim.... it was early-ish in the season last year though, so you might have better luck later on or it may be bigger this year.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:50 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,662,283 times
Good to see another Greyhound lover here! I have three Italian Greyhounds, the Greyts little cousins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas