U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,361 times

Advertisements

This question goes out to the North Las Vegas commuters. We rent in Henderson and are currently looking to buy and see alot more for our dollar up North. I have heard horror stories about the traffic though. My husband works at Caesars Palace 7-3 and isn't too excited about the thought of being stuck on the 15. Is it really as bad as we have heard? Are some areas better then others.. NW..N..NE..? Ive heard some of the Northwesters take Rainbow down and thats a smooth commute? Thanks guys and gals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 09:09 PM

1,476 posts, read 4,037,996 times
Once the widening is done the commute should not be too bad. Using MLK can help now. There are ways to get there using surface streets and avoiding 1-15.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:40 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,913,100 times
We do Pest Control, and when my hubby has early stops in Henderson, he sees more traffic around 7 to 7:30am, then when he leaves at 6 to 6:30am. That is coming from Washburn and Commerce.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:52 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,147,848 times
I wonder how it is at 3pm?

Still and all, it may be worth the extra commute time when you go home to a nice home with a little more room to relax, huh?

We rented in Henderson, husband works at City Center and we really liked the area. Traffic did get a little congested on Eastern, but there were ways around it. I do like the NW alot though and we are looking for a home in that area also.

Suppose it just depends on what is more important. After looking at homes in both areas, you sure can get a nicer one in the NW for the money. Plus, (and this could be good or bad) you have many more homes to choose from in the NW.

Good luck!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:15 PM

Not too bad at 3pm, just depends on if there is an accident or someone pulled over. If you have that, you have all the looky loos that slow down and cause the back up. Also they are working on the 15 right now so around Lake Mead there is some back up. Don't take my word for it because I don't have to drive it everyday, so someone my have a more knowledge then me. That is just what I have seen around those times that I have traveled the 15.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:07 PM

37 posts, read 90,896 times
I take MLK to Sahara from Craig and it takes about 25-30 minutes. It's not too bad.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:34 PM

Years ago when I lived on the west side. I would take Decatur to North Las Vegas. Some days it would take forever. Always seemed to hit the red lights. I would never take the freeway. I learned my lesson, and take the freeway when I have to go across town, unless I hear the news or I am told that there is a bad accident.

The other day I needed to go to the mall on Charleston. I heard on the news that the 15 was backed up pretty bad, sure enough there was a line just to get onto the freeway. Went surface streets, and did not take that long. A lot of the news channels and radio stations stay on top of the accidents, or you can check on your cell phone, so you can at least get a heads ups on the accidents.

Did have one time years ago that I was stuck on the north bound 15 for a couple of hours, due to an accident. That was the only time I was stuck that bad. But I do not have to travel the freeways everyday.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:57 AM

2,404 posts, read 9,529,940 times
MLK always backs up between Charleston and Discovery, it has taken me once 20 min to get from Discovery and Charleston, it is always a mess there because of the 15 offramp

I live off of LVBS/Pebble, but school is off of Cheyenne/Civic Center, it takes me about 10-15 minutes to get there in the morning, i leave at around 9 AM, sometimes it slows up around Tropicana Northbound, but then it picks back up...in the Afternoon when i get out, whether it is 3 PM or 5 PM, it can take me 30 min to an hour to get home, it always slows down around Lake Mead and it always slows between Sahara and Flamingo Southbound...

Old 03-05-2009, 03:50 AM
Status: "Invisible cats keep you up at night" (set 3 days ago)

9,761 posts, read 21,620,376 times
For the OP, if you do decide to take MLK, don't do it late at night. I avoid MLK as much as possible and take Decatur or Rancho, also Valley View. For some reason, less traffic coming back that way. Never take I-15 except for rare instances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas