U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:42 AM

3,728 posts, read 8,211,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Mom has it mostly right. Her distances are however off a bit. It is a mile to Raibow and the Gran Pre et al. It is half a mile to Lake Mead with the wonderful Grape Street and the pretty good Osaka as well as the Diner which I have not tried since the new owner. And of course Steiners...VP pub of good repute is right there.

The big Park in the area is Between Washington and the Summerlin Pkwy. That is a massive complex including a big doggie park.

The neighborhoods involved include a number of condo complexes such as Adagio and Buffalo and the older Rock Springs complex. Some of these are very hard hit by the foreclosure mess. Some are conversions. The Pueblo area is rather nice low end Summerlin. The other housing in the area is somewhat mixed so some caution. It does however include Calico Vista, a funky little cottage community that we happen to think is neat for a starter home.

A very convenient commute to the strip or downtown.
Thanks for correcting the distances capt, and no nvrdun, this area is on the fringe of Summerlin, but it is not located in Summerlin. Zip is 89128?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 10:50 AM

15,756 posts, read 32,479,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Thanks for correcting the distances capt, and no nvrdun, this area is on the fringe of Summerlin, but it is not located in Summerlin. Zip is 89128?
He is in the Pueblo which is in the Summerlim master plan. It is 89128

Old 03-07-2009, 11:18 AM

2,502 posts, read 7,883,333 times
Quote:
Don't sweat it unless you have a kid who is trouble prone. It is a high school where a kid of the right persuasion can get into trouble easily.

If you are dealing with a normal kid who does well in school and is normally adjusted Cimarron is fine. In fact may be better off there then in Palo Verde where they get lost in the crowd. If you have a bright kid who needs challenge send him or her to the magnets. Ad Tech and the LV Academy are great school. The Tech high schools are also fine for a kid of the geeky sort. .

If concerned send the kid to Faith Lutheran or Gorman. Not cheap but not impossible.

Good house - Don't sweat the small stuff.
Yeah. Becker and Bryan are good.

Cimarron isn't too bad. They have a somewhat high number of low income kids, so you'll see some of the negative stereotypes associated with that ("thugs", drop outs, etc.), which arouses concern for some parents, but it's actually not a bad school. As long as you have a good kid who studies and knows right from wrong, they'll be fine there.

I also second the recommendation for the magnets and private schools, if that's something you're interested in. Magnets are free, but admission is based on a lottery system for most of them, I believe, so getting in is a crapshoot. Faith is about $7,500 a year, I think...I don't know the price tag on Gorman these days, but I believe that it's a little bit higher.

I think the move should be fine.

On the note of restaurants, I'll also recommend Marc's, which is close. There's also a complex not too far away with Chipotle, Golden Spoon, etc.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:31 PM

3,728 posts, read 8,211,182 times
Quote:
He is in the Pueblo which is in the Summerlim master plan. It is 89128
The Pueblo is definately Summerlin, you are correct.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:40 PM

10 posts, read 33,605 times
Default good question....great info....

I myself have no answers...sorry! But I found the replys to this post very helpful. I just moved into this area from Boston, Ma. I've been here 1 week. I'm renting a house in the Desert Shores community. I'm still adjusting to the area...it is very different from where I'm from. I have two children, ages 2 and 12. Some positives I've noticed so far.....Desert Shores is a beautiful neighborhood, the lakes are really nice. We've taken a few walks around the area. It's very dog friendly. But we've already had some scary encounters with some not-so-friendly dogs. I hope this won't be an issue in the future! I haven't explored much further than Buffalo dr. yet. All you need is right there....from Von's to Whole foods to K-mart...and plenty of fast food and restraunts....it's all very convienient. there is easy access to the highways. I still plan on checking out the local parks and recreation places for the kids. My 12 yr old is in 6th grade. My house is zoned for Becker Middle School and Cimmeron Memorial. As far as the negatives.....I really think once we get to know the area and meet some people, it will be ok. It is a huge adjustment for all of us. I have noticed the need for security in the homes in the area...everyone has security systems, dogs, etc....The house I'm renting is like a fortress...it makes me wonder why? The danger is out there. Being from Boston, I'm used to rude people, and I was told that everyone out here was very friendly...I haven't encountered that so much. Some are... some aren't....it is very diverse here. The drivers seem aggressive.......probably because I don't know where I'm going...lol! Sorry this reply is so long! I'm just excited...and nervous... to be here. I think it is a nice place... Good luck!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:04 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,479,957 times
If you are in Desert Shores proper they have a very nice beach pool off Regetta before Breakwater. Where the shopping center is located.

Also in that shopping center is Marche Baccus...a very nice little french restaurant/wine shop.

Becker is a very nice school. Cimarron is not as strong but is OK. Dogs in there should all be leashed.

If you like to walk there is not only Desert Shores but there is a nice Summerlin Trail just across Lake Mead.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:06 PM

2,404 posts, read 9,524,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblee View Post
I myself have no answers...sorry! But I found the replys to this post very helpful. I just moved into this area from Boston, Ma. I've been here 1 week. I'm renting a house in the Desert Shores community. I'm still adjusting to the area...it is very different from where I'm from. I have two children, ages 2 and 12. Some positives I've noticed so far.....Desert Shores is a beautiful neighborhood, the lakes are really nice. We've taken a few walks around the area. It's very dog friendly. But we've already had some scary encounters with some not-so-friendly dogs. I hope this won't be an issue in the future! I haven't explored much further than Buffalo dr. yet. All you need is right there....from Von's to Whole foods to K-mart...and plenty of fast food and restraunts....it's all very convienient. there is easy access to the highways. I still plan on checking out the local parks and recreation places for the kids. My 12 yr old is in 6th grade. My house is zoned for Becker Middle School and Cimmeron Memorial. As far as the negatives.....I really think once we get to know the area and meet some people, it will be ok. It is a huge adjustment for all of us. I have noticed the need for security in the homes in the area...everyone has security systems, dogs, etc....The house I'm renting is like a fortress...it makes me wonder why? The danger is out there. Being from Boston, I'm used to rude people, and I was told that everyone out here was very friendly...I haven't encountered that so much. Some are... some aren't....it is very diverse here. The drivers seem aggressive.......probably because I don't know where I'm going...lol! Sorry this reply is so long! I'm just excited...and nervous... to be here. I think it is a nice place... Good luck!
that Whole Foods is actually closing soon, I don't remember the link, but just search Lake Mead Whole Foods Las Vegas in Google and it should come up

Old 03-09-2009, 11:55 PM

3,622 posts, read 4,692,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Yeah. Becker and Bryan are good.

Cimarron isn't too bad. They have a somewhat high number of low income kids, so you'll see some of the negative stereotypes associated with that ("thugs", drop outs, etc.), which arouses concern for some parents, but it's actually not a bad school. As long as you have a good kid who studies and knows right from wrong, they'll be fine there.

I also second the recommendation for the magnets and private schools, if that's something you're interested in. Magnets are free, but admission is based on a lottery system for most of them, I believe, so getting in is a crapshoot. Faith is about $7,500 a year, I think...I don't know the price tag on Gorman these days, but I believe that it's a little bit higher.

I think the move should be fine.

On the note of restaurants, I'll also recommend Marc's, which is close. There's also a complex not too far away with Chipotle, Golden Spoon, etc.
I second the Magnet school advice. It is hard to get in but worth it to try!

Old 03-10-2009, 12:05 AM

3,622 posts, read 4,692,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblee View Post
Welcome! I lived in the Desert Shores area for a while and loved the neighborhood. You almost can almost pretend you don't live in a desert if you are standing by the lake.

Yes, the drivers were aggressive at first, but I have found that they don't seem like it as much because I guess I drive the same way now!

There is some danger from home invasions. Although it does not occur often I think the fear that it could happen causes people to secure their home. (We have a security system.)

I have found that people might be a little stand-offish at first but can be friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or