Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 05:30 PM

18 posts, read 58,157 times

Advertisements

How is this area? Family friendly, good schools, parks, shopping, eating, safe etc. I found what I think is a good deal in that area and would like observations from some who know the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 05:43 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdun View Post
How is this area? Family friendly, good schools, parks, shopping, eating, safe etc. I found what I think is a good deal in that area and would like observations from some who know the area.
Buffalo and Vegas Drive. I am familiar with that area.

It's a good area, lots of shopping, you got a shopping center anchored by Albertsons grocery and a CVS drug store, Fresh N Easy, The Mega Cafe, and a Town Center Grocer gas station-mini mart all at that intersection. It's on the border of The Pueblo, a village of Summerlin. St. Elizabeth Ann Seton and Richard Bryant ES (good ES school) is less than half a mile away and that location has real easy access to Summerlin Parkway, about a mile and a half away. At that same area, you got more shopping with Lowes Home Center, K-Mart, McDonalds, Trader Joes and a bunch of other smaller stores, a 7-11 gas station, a Rebel gas Station.

Heading East on Vegas Drive, about 4 miles away you got the Las Vegas Mini-Gran Prix and heading North on Buffalo from this location brings you to Lake Mead Blvd (about 2 miles) and tons of shopping/eateries (Grape Street Cafe) Vons Grocery, fast food.

I don't know of any stupendous restaurants in this immediate area, but this locale is so convenient, just a short drive away in any direction will get you to a wonderful eatery as I stated above.

Bruce Trent Park is about 3 miles west on Vegas Drive from this location, and the Sports Park is located there as well (indoor and outdoor sports) This park is also home to the weekly farmers market (on Wednesdays).

Heading from there, south on Buffalo, going OVER the Summerlin Parkway you got Westcliff House on the right, mostly office spaces and such, but The Bagel Cafe is in there.

Summerlin Parkway will take you to the 95 Freeway and to the Strip in about 15 minutes (or less) from this location.

And that place will get you all warm and fuzzy inside... Great food, great bakery!

Very convenient area, you should be OK in this location. Go for it mon

Last edited by MomMom; 03-06-2009 at 05:55 PM..

Old 03-06-2009, 05:51 PM

Thank you! That was a great description. Is this area part of Summerlin?

I have been lurking here since Oct when we found out we would be moving to Vegas.

I am making a trip out there mid month to buy a house. Already pre-approved and I am starting to really stress over where to buy. I need to make the house hunt without my family and I dont want to mess anything up. I just hope this house is still available when I get out there.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:05 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
It's a nice enough area. Pretty convenient. Nice park (and dog park!) nearby.

But if you have kids, try to aim for the southwest corner of Buffalo and Vegas. The southwest corner is zoned for Palo Verde HS, while the other corners are zoned for Cimarron HS. Palo is ranked better, if that concerns you.

http://www.ccsd.net/schools/zoning/maps/hsNorth.pdf (broken link)

EDIT: Just kidding. I reread and noticed that you already have a specific house in mind. It should be fine.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:23 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Mom has it mostly right. Her distances are however off a bit. It is a mile to Raibow and the Gran Pre et al. It is half a mile to Lake Mead with the wonderful Grape Street and the pretty good Osaka as well as the Diner which I have not tried since the new owner. And of course Steiners...VP pub of good repute is right there.

The big Park in the area is Between Washington and the Summerlin Pkwy. That is a massive complex including a big doggie park.

The neighborhoods involved include a number of condo complexes such as Adagio and Buffalo and the older Rock Springs complex. Some of these are very hard hit by the foreclosure mess. Some are conversions. The Pueblo area is rather nice low end Summerlin. The other housing in the area is somewhat mixed so some caution. It does however include Calico Vista, a funky little cottage community that we happen to think is neat for a starter home.

A very convenient commute to the strip or downtown.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:29 PM

olecapt

Can I DM you the specific address so you can let me know if Im in the "caution" area?

The other area I have been looking at heavily is N. Buffalo and Elkhorn.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
It's a nice enough area. Pretty convenient. Nice park (and dog park!) nearby.

But if you have kids, try to aim for the southwest corner of Buffalo and Vegas. The southwest corner is zoned for Palo Verde HS, while the other corners are zoned for Cimarron HS. Palo is ranked better, if that concerns you.

http://www.ccsd.net/schools/zoning/maps/hsNorth.pdf (broken link)

EDIT: Just kidding. I reread and noticed that you already have a specific house in mind. It should be fine.
Problem with that is the middle school flips from Becker to Johnson at Vegas...perhaps a worse jolt.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
olecapt

Can I DM you the specific address so you can let me know if Im in the "caution" area?

The other area I have been looking at heavily is N. Buffalo and Elkhorn.

Sure - for what it is worth.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:39 PM

Schools are Bryan, Becker and Cimmaron

Old 03-06-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Schools are Bryan, Becker and Cimmaron
Don't sweat it unless you have a kid who is trouble prone. It is a high school where a kid of the right persuasion can get into trouble easily.

If you are dealing with a normal kid who does well in school and is normally adjusted Cimarron is fine. In fact may be better off there then in Palo Verde where they get lost in the crowd. If you have a bright kid who needs challenge send him or her to the magnets. Ad Tech and the LV Academy are great school. The Tech high schools are also fine for a kid of the geeky sort. .

If concerned send the kid to Faith Lutheran or Gorman. Not cheap but not impossible.

Good house - Don't sweat the small stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: