U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:25 PM

7 posts, read 9,898 times

Advertisements

I have a lot of questions, if any can be answered that would be great. It looks almost certain that my wife and I will be moving to Las Vegas, I'll be there this weekend to finalize everything with the job, everyone is telling me to check out the South West and Summerlin areas to move to. We are looking to rent a 2 bedroom in a safe apartment complex [security/gated], somewhere in the range of $800 - $1100. We want to be close to stores and shopping. Being that I don't know Las Vegas well, safety is a big concern.

I've heard someone recommend Wellington Meadows, their website makes it seem more like a weekend spa than a place to live, anyone have any info they would like to share about it or other places? My job will be located at S Durango Dr and W. Russell Rd., so I am looking for at the most a 20 minute commute.

I'd like to be able to find a place this weekend and start the application process, then once the job is finalized during the week I could send the money and any other paperwork they need. Has anyone ever done this? I'm trying to prevent living out of a hotel for a week.

Does anyone know any companies that ship cars cross country? I want to make sure I get a reliable place. Not even sure how much it costs from NYC to Vegas.

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 11:50 PM

444 posts, read 1,429,098 times
Things that might help us respond more quickly and with more specificity.

Age? No kids presumed by post. Pets? Security/Gated ... do you mean security guard?

You are always near stores in Las Vegas. Safety is not nearly as scary as many transfers might think. By being on this board, you will end up in a safe place.

I am not familiar with items in paragraph 2, so I will move on.

Yes, Paperwork can be handled exactly as you suggest. We handle paperwork via emails and phone calls and our apartment was ready for us after providing a debit card for deposit etc.

No idea about shipping a car. We drove from NC.

Good Luck. A few more details will help you get exactly what you want. We bought a house at the end of our first year. Welcome.

To other posters ... seems to be a goodly number of out of towners finding jobs here. Have you noticed that?

Old 03-10-2009, 12:31 AM

2,404 posts, read 9,524,082 times
i dont know what company we used, but it was 1100 from Philly to Vegas and took them about a week or 2 to ship it to us, this was a few years ago...

Old 03-10-2009, 12:57 AM

252 posts, read 817,029 times
It's unlikely you'll find a "safe" 2-bedroom for $800. Lots of places (at least when I was looking ~ 1 yr ago) on the South Strip and Green Valley that are close to the 215 (easy commute) in the $1100 range. Some are guard gated, which is the only thing that actually adds any safety. Gated apts that are keypad/remote operated aren't really any safer than those that aren't gated at all. People just drive behind another car. Just a tip.... might be worth paying extra for guard gated if you're really worried. That said, I live in an "unsafe" part of town, but haven't had any problems (yet!). Wouldn't necessarily recommend that til you get a feel for the town though.

The place i lived when i first moved here seemed pretty safe, and was walking distance (<0.25 mi) of 4 grocery stores, and was $1050/mo for a 2-bed, 2-ba, and ~ 1 mi from the 215.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:52 AM

2,404 posts, read 9,524,082 times
we're renting a 2 bed/2 bath house for 850 on the South Strip

my sister is renting a 2 bed/2 bath apartment for around 900 at Eastern/Warm Springs

both way below the 1100 range, maybe we both got lucky though...and both very safe...

Old 03-10-2009, 05:13 AM

74 posts, read 160,809 times
I'm finally moving to Vegas later this year! I am so excited, but I have a question about safety, since it was mentioned in this thread. Is there really as much danger to worry about as I've heard? I mean I have always felt that whenever I visit a place that's supposedly dangerous, it's not nearly as bad as the hype. Do you guys feel that to be the case here?

Old 03-10-2009, 07:39 AM

7 posts, read 9,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockAAAA View Post
Things that might help us respond more quickly and with more specificity.

Age? No kids presumed by post. Pets? Security/Gated ... do you mean security guard?

You are always near stores in Las Vegas. Safety is not nearly as scary as many transfers might think. By being on this board, you will end up in a safe place.

I am not familiar with items in paragraph 2, so I will move on.

Yes, Paperwork can be handled exactly as you suggest. We handle paperwork via emails and phone calls and our apartment was ready for us after providing a debit card for deposit etc.

No idea about shipping a car. We drove from NC.

Good Luck. A few more details will help you get exactly what you want. We bought a house at the end of our first year. Welcome.

To other posters ... seems to be a goodly number of out of towners finding jobs here. Have you noticed that?
I knew I would forget something. As for age, we are in our mid 30s, but my partying days are over, so I'm not looking to go out all the time. We have a newborn, so right now school isn't something we are looking into, if we buy or move to a new neighborhood in a year or so then we take that into consideration.

As for safety, let me preface this with, I lived in NYC for 13 years, so maybe my version of unsafe, is completely different than what Las Vegas considers unsafe. But I would like some form of gated community.

And let me just say thanks to everyone who's responded already. Some boards you wait 2 weeks to get a response.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:02 AM

450 posts, read 1,348,124 times
Default Re:

I would check out Spanish Palms. It's a guard gated community in the southwest on Rainbow between Tropicana and Russell, but the only stipulation is/was that once all the condos were "sold", the guard feature at the gate was going to disappear. We found this out last year when I was looking at places out here. As long as they are still renting apartments, the guard stays at the gate. It's a beautiful community though. Also, check out Southwest Ranch Condos right on W. Russell between Hualapai and Grand Canyon. They are fairly new, but I'm not sure about the gated part. Also nearby is Viviani which is gated as well and also located on W. Russell between Grand Canyon and Ft. Apache.
San Tropez has nice floorplans as well as a huge fitness center and I think they are within your price range as well.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:04 AM

252 posts, read 817,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWest77 View Post
I'm finally moving to Vegas later this year! I am so excited, but I have a question about safety, since it was mentioned in this thread. Is there really as much danger to worry about as I've heard? I mean I have always felt that whenever I visit a place that's supposedly dangerous, it's not nearly as bad as the hype. Do you guys feel that to be the case here?

yes and no.... there are some really bad parts of town, and there is a good bit of vehicle theft. But after living here for a year, I don't feel that Vegas is a "dangerous" town. Certainly no more than any other large city (DC, SF) I've lived in.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 8,743 times
I'm relocating to LV in April for a new job and just signed a lease yesterday at The Palladium Apartments off Russell Rd. and Hwy 215. The complex is really nice....good rent (750 for a 1br) and I felt really comfortable/safe at the property. If you go, ask to work with David (leasing agent)...he was the best...knowledgeable and really patient with me (I had tons of questions too). The apartment is under Picerne Management which I found to have lots of other nice properties around Las Vegas also (The Passage, The Presidio)....I think there are a couple brand new ones going up on the north side. Another great thing to note is that all staff (manager, leasing agents and maintenance guys/girls) actually live on the property. Obviously they then have a vested interest in the place. Overall I'd really recommend Palladium as I was impressed with the quality of the staff and the grounds...especially after dealing with a few not-so-inhabitable-places/not-so-friendly leasing agents over the past few days. Hope this helps!

p.s. Something that I hadn't thought of while looking but would suggest is to just look at places under a good management company. The better the management, the better the upkeep and staff. Was most impressed with the properties/staff under Picerne Management, Stout Management (Turtle Creek Apartments) and Signature Management (Desert Shadows).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas