U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:38 AM

13,819 posts, read 24,548,281 times

Advertisements

It's one of the main reason's we cancelled our trip to LV this year. Rooms, I can get comped...but airfare is double than it was in previous years! It used to be that we only had to really worry about our gambling money. But if we have to lay out $800 to fly to LV, that puts a damper in the plans. Of course, the bad economy doesn't help. It's tough to lay out any money gambling when people are getting laid off all around us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 12:47 PM

2,404 posts, read 9,524,988 times
Wow, I'm really surprised with all these responses! In mid-January, we booked a fare for the weekend of February 28th, leaving Vegas Thursday night and coming back from Philly Sunday night...

Guess what the fare was? 89 roundtrip

of course we had to stop in Chicago on the way there and then stop in LaGuardia and Denver on the way back, but for 89 roundtrip to Philly, that was a great deal!

Non-stops are usually the most expensive because connecting flights usually fill seats up...Its also a problem now since United was charging for checked baggage, people took their whole life and put it into a carry-on suitcase for the overhead bins, this delayed our flights and people started arguing with the Attendants because they didn't want to check it, they kept on trying to find ways to fit the bag in the overhead bin before they gave up...

Maybe we just caught PriceLine or HotWire at a good time?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:03 PM

3,728 posts, read 8,212,165 times
I'm thinking most folks don't want to tour the US before they finally get to their destination kewlkid

Old 03-11-2009, 02:03 PM

My wife and I have 8 offspring (4 from her previous marriage, 4 from mine...all grown ) For each, at Christmastime, we spend $200 per ($1600 total) - for gifts. Since neither of my stepdaughters had ever been to LV, we thought it would be a great idea to get them R/T airline tickets and they and my wife were planning to head to LV for a girls trip in January. In the past, we could get $99 fares each way. When I tried to get tickets in November, the least expensive flights I could find were $179 each way...leaving at odd hours or stopping on the way. No trip this year for the girls, either.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:27 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,607,754 times
Fares are cheaper than last year. When we had the oil shock and $140/barrel oil the tickets and fees were outrageous as airlines raised fares to stay profitable. The prices are more expensive than a few years ago when there were price wars, but slowly getting back to affordable.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:34 PM

844 posts, read 1,769,319 times
I get my flights for $350 round trip from a small town in Kentucky

Old 03-11-2009, 03:11 PM

12,686 posts, read 30,969,141 times
I just looked at SWAL and found fares booked on line are as low as $99.00 each way from Cleveland to Las Vegas in April.

Carol and I (almost) never pay for flights on Southwest. We have a SWAL credit card that pays off in free tickets anywhere on SWAL. We sometimes pay for short flights like LA or Albuquerque to save the freebies for long flights. You do have to be disciplined enough to save your cash and pay off the card every month. But even without that I'd only fly Southwest when possible due to the fact they know how to treat customers, are always on time, and cost less.

In case you missed MomMom's post: ReviewJournal.com - News - Signs go south for LV

"...flaking on Las Vegas business trips coincides with the dramatic tanking of the global economy and has accelerated more recently with public scoldings dished out by Obama and other politicians..."

Old 03-11-2009, 03:22 PM

"...to bailout-seeking businesses considering Sin City getaways."

Business travel is way down all over...not just Las Vegas. The company I work for has put serious restrictions and guidelines on travel. Besides laying-off workers, travel expenses are usually the next thing to be cut. It's just smart business. Besides...Obama's remarks were intended only for companies that also seek taxpayer-funded bail-outs.

Last edited by jfkIII; 03-11-2009 at 03:30 PM..

Old 03-11-2009, 04:19 PM

482 posts, read 1,197,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl4 View Post

I agree though, there needs to be some government regulation on the airlines and the fares that they charge, not to mention all their little fees. Obviously, Southwest is making a profit year after year with no side fees for beverages, food, extra baggage, etc.
Guess who's charging most of the fees to begin with?

Old 03-11-2009, 05:48 PM

52 posts, read 172,439 times
Thats suprising, my brother is coming from cleveland at the end of march, he got the ticket for 200 round trip (coming thursday, leaving sunday), direct flight. He bought the ticket about a month ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or