U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:00 AM

11,578 posts, read 22,679,105 times

Advertisements

As my wife and I have homes in LasVegas, we always fly in at least four times a year.. usually February, April, June, and Thanksgiving times... This year however will be different.. If you haven't noticed, the flights into Vegas are way out of line expensive... I have never paid more than $248 for a roundtrip flight...and those being on Continental non-stop. This April, however, the same flight costs anywhere from $578 to $909 which is absolutely ridiculous. I guess we will have to wait to drive out in June.

So it is not only the economy in trouble, the people that want to get to Vegas can't because of the price of flights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 07:33 AM

762 posts, read 1,347,349 times
where are you flying in from?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:38 AM

11,578 posts, read 22,679,105 times
cleveland

Old 03-11-2009, 09:02 AM

15,194 posts, read 17,689,444 times
I looked into a flight from LV to Austin last week, for later this month. The cheapest flight I could find on Orbitz and similar sites was $640, and that had me routed through New York(!)...

Old 03-11-2009, 09:30 AM

450 posts, read 1,348,445 times
Default Re:

Are you looking at prices for travel around Easter time? If so, it's much too late to book a trip anywhere for Easter without paying over $400 unless you want really bad flight times. Any holiday travel periods should be booked at least 3 months in advance to get the best fares. There are normally no last minute specials around the holidays.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:46 AM

269 posts, read 863,103 times
Really? Funny, I was thinking just the opposite. Just last week Southwest from Oakland to Las Vegas on a FRIDAY night was only $39 one way....I haven't seen that kind of pricing since after 9-11.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:59 AM

3,728 posts, read 8,213,826 times
I can't believe the prices of airline tickets as well.

And let's face it, with so many people in so much debt nowadays, who can afford those high airline prices?

I remember, so many years ago, seeing ads for travel packages to Las Vegas which included 4 days and 3 nights accommodations (Strip hotel) airfare, transportation to the hotel, a dinner and complimentary cocktail.

I can't remember what the prices were, but I remember them, at the time, being ridiculously low. OK, I'm going back a lot of years, but we need that type of incentive now in these bad times to get the people here.

The RJ quoted a figure in todays paper that in this past January, there were only 3,016,067 visitors here for the month. Down almost 12% from the same time a year ago.

ReviewJournal.com - News - Signs go south for LV

The suits need to get the volume of people here back up, regardless of whether they will spend as much money gambling, eating, shopping as they used to.

By offering tourists the great bang for the buck, as it used to be, the properties will make more $$ because of the volume of visitors (and those visitors will then have more spending money because they SAVED on everything else) and at least the tourists won't be charged up the yingety yang for every frickin' thing.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:31 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,055,053 times
huh...strange.

i am traveling several times in the next couple of months and my tix were pretty reasonable (rt to denver $178, rt to DC and to philly for <$400 each). (thankfully the later two are covered by work...)

i just had friends in from the bay area, and they didn't have any complaints re: the prices, in fact they are thinking of coming back out (well, one is any way for a bachelorette party...her husband might just come in to play/eat w/ me)

Old 03-11-2009, 10:39 AM

3,728 posts, read 8,213,826 times
I don't know about shorter flights, but Coast to Coast ones are kinda pricey, especially the non-stop ones, last time I checked (3 weeks ago)

Old 03-11-2009, 11:31 AM

450 posts, read 1,348,445 times
Default Re:

Yep, MomMom has it...coast to coast flights you usually need a 14+day advance purchase for cheaper fares, but more around holiday travel periods. Southwest flights to/from Vegas to any cities they serve from Arizona, to the west coast is cheaper regardless of when you book. Keep in mind, even with an advance purchase though, everything is based on availability. You could be booking something 5 months in advance and the fare could be $300.00+ if the flight is nearing sold out. Same flights/city pairs within 2 weeks could be $150.00 depending on availability.

I've been trying to get to FL to visit my family and for the past two months, round trip fares are no less than $280.00 unless I want to take a red eye there, and come back at 6am three days later...ugh!

I agree though, there needs to be some government regulation on the airlines and the fares that they charge, not to mention all their little fees. Obviously, Southwest is making a profit year after year with no side fees for beverages, food, extra baggage, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or