Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:51 AM

81 posts, read 474,963 times

Advertisements

So we're moving next week from Henderson up to Centennial Hills and we have a dilemma about which direction to go regarding our high-speed internet. Here is our situation and we'd appreciate some personal feedback on this:

We are moving into a house that is already pre-wired, in each room that this pertains to, with a single coax cable outlet as well as a single phone line outlet. Now, we are Direct TV subscribers and with their new SWM technology, we do not need multiple coax cables run to each room for multiple tuners on a DVR (YAY!!!). But, with Direct TV, you can not run both Direct TV and cable internet on the same coax line. Keep in mind that each room also has a phone line run to it (from a central junction box in one of the bedrooms), so that allows DSL w/o having to run any extra cable/lines to the various rooms. Hence the question about Embarq. Now, where we'll be living, they can offer us a 10Meg speed (I'm a professional poker player, so obviously, having reliable internet service is of HUGE importance), as well as being gamers and D/L'ing various things.

We did a search here on the city-data forums and found a lot of negative posters re: Embarq, but they were all over a year old. I am wondering about them now, in particular about the actual service, notsomuch the CS.

Now, if we decide to stay w/ Cox when we move, that is going to require new coax cable run from the junction box to each bedroom as well as to the family room. Obviously, this would be 'in-wall' which, also obviously, means $$$ (since I have no experience wall-fishing etc). So ideally, Embarq would be the way to go, but we need feedback before the move.

Anyone that can help, we would greatly appreciate the input.

Thanks, y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 11:01 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,276 times
I switched to Embarq about a year and a half ago. I actually really like it. I had cox before and had some issues with them. We have a wireless router, and have 4 computers in the house and then our PS3, and all run fine and fast.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:20 AM

515 posts, read 1,832,252 times
I to subscribe to DirecTV. I have cox for intenet and phone (package deal gets me a better price on the internet service) with a wireless router to run my PC and laptop. I run ethernet cable from my router to my leviton box, to the rooms that I need "plug-in" internet (like for my DirecTV box for the interactive stuff) Haven't had any issues with Cox, be happy with their internet service for years.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Angry View Post
I to subscribe to DirecTV. I have cox for intenet and phone (package deal gets me a better price on the internet service) with a wireless router to run my PC and laptop. I run ethernet cable from my router to my leviton box, to the rooms that I need "plug-in" internet (like for my DirecTV box for the interactive stuff) Haven't had any issues with Cox, be happy with their internet service for years.
I'm not quite following how your setup works. Explain that if you will, please?

Old 03-11-2009, 12:44 PM

444 posts, read 1,614,386 times
For me, Cox has been sporatic at the promised high speed level.

Just yesterday at Pokerstars I was, you know what I mean, the slow guy. This happens at least once per week and its an all day problem. I didn't even know Embarq was an option in Las Vegas. Perhaps I should look into them too. I hope you will add to this thread in a few weeks and let us know which turned out to be the best. Thanks and Good Luck.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapeas View Post
I'm not quite following how your setup works. Explain that if you will, please?
Structured Mediaâ„¢ Center, Series 280 > Structured Mediaâ„¢ Centers > Residential Solutions > Network Solutions > All Leviton Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products

This is pretty much standard on new home construction. The placed it in my hall closet and all of my phone lines, data lines, cable lines all come into the house from the box, and then out to the rooms. Its like a "central command" for all of my cables and phone lines ect.
I have my Cox cable line from the "box in the closet" to my router that is wireless. I have seperate lines from my Dish that run into the "box" and then go out the rooms for my DirecTV.
Hope that helps, I'm not great with all the techy lingo, but let me know if its needs to be explained better.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Angry View Post
Structured Mediaâ„¢ Center, Series 280 > Structured Mediaâ„¢ Centers > Residential Solutions > Network Solutions > All Leviton Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products

This is pretty much standard on new home construction. The placed it in my hall closet and all of my phone lines, data lines, cable lines all come into the house from the box, and then out to the rooms. Its like a "central command" for all of my cables and phone lines ect.
I have my Cox cable line from the "box in the closet" to my router that is wireless. I have seperate lines from my Dish that run into the "box" and then go out the rooms for my DirecTV.
Hope that helps, I'm not great with all the techy lingo, but let me know if its needs to be explained better.

Ah, it's a junction box. Gotcha. Now it makes sense. So, since I have two cables from outside (one for satellite and one for internet), I guess I could hook my modem --> router-->then use the phone/ethernet lines to use Cox, if I so desired (since we also have said junction box w/ all the same type things in it)...choices choices. Thanks!

Old 03-11-2009, 03:22 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
You'll want check on this, but I think you have to have cable service to get internet from Cox. I may be wrong but it was that way several years ago when I hooked up. I have had Cox internet for years and have been very happy with it even though, as a former broadcaster, I hate paying a cable company for TV. We recently bundled our phone with the other service and except for the cable bill we are very satisfied with the set up. It all comes in through the prewired cable in the walls. Sorry I can't answer the wiring question for the sat feed, but am wondering why you couldn't use the same cable for all and split the feeds as we do for phone, TV, and internet. If not I think I'd be tempted to run the sat feed lines along the baseboards and save a bunch of money.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You'll want check on this, but I think you have to have cable service to get internet from Cox. I may be wrong but it was that way several years ago when I hooked up.
I just have Phone and Internet, no cable. Had cable and was happy with it until MLB pulled their little stunt with the DirecTV only scam (what I called a scam that is) but, on the bright side I'll never go back to cable, more than happy with DirecTV.

I was paying a higher price for just having internet service, but when Cox made the "internet" or VOIP available in my area I switched to get away from Embarq! Went from $55 per month (embarq) to $29 per month with Cox, same features. Then a got a $10 a month discount from Cox for having more than one service.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:50 PM

458 posts, read 1,670,396 times
We have cox internet with no cable or phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas