Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 04:50 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Kiddieville, ugg, what could be worse. Any area with as few kids as possible is awesome, and I think the Strip qualifies as being not very kid friendly. Thank god.

As for this discussion, it's not at all difficult to play poker online and I doubt anyone really cares what the government has to say about it. I sure don't. I'll spend or invest my money however I choose and I don't care what stupid laws they try to pass against it. Numerous international trade organizations have ruled against the U.S. and said they are not allowed to restrict our ability to do business with online gaming companies in other countries, but the U.S. just completely ignores these mandates and goes about its business. That's fine -- I completely ignore the U.S. laws and go about my business, so two can play at that game!

I just play online as a hobby, but let's put it this way I've always been taking money out, I haven't put money into a site since 2003. At that point, I turned that initial money into enough so that when it (PokerRoom) restricted U.S. players, I took half my winnings and put it back into the bank and half into Full Tilt and now turned what I put in Full Tilt into more than I had before. It's good fun, I don't play for any serious money, but at least it's a few bucks and entertainment. All of the rest of my entertainment costs me money -- seeing movies, playing video games, buying Blu-rays, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 05:46 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
I just LOVE law=abiding citizens....you're what makes this country great.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:09 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I just LOVE law=abiding citizens....you're what makes this country great.
There's no law against individuals playing poker online. The law (UIEGA) is directed at the poker hosting sites themselves, as well as banks, cc companies, financial institutions, etc., and makes it illegal for them to process the associated transactions.

The feds have tried to make it difficult, if not impossible, for US residents to play poker on line, but they have not specifically made it illegal for them to do so.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:16 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
There's no law against individuals playing poker online. The law (UIEGA) is directed at the poker hosting sites themselves, as well as banks, cc companies, financial institutions, etc., and makes it illegal for them to process the associated transactions.

The feds have tried to make it difficult, if not impossible, for US residents to play poker on line, but they have not specifically made it illegal for them to do so.
Exactly. They have done a pretty good job at making it difficult, but you can still do it. It's just a pain in the butt that's all. I feel fortunate I have money already in the site and had it there before that retarded bill went into effect.

"If the government passes an unjust law, then the only place for a just man is in jail." Thoreau once said that, and the point stands. You are right, I AM what makes this country great! It's people like me who threw the Boston Tea Party, it's people like me who opposed the British and started this country, and it's people like me who won't follow or respect stupid laws restricting my personal freedom to do as I please with MY money. They could make it a 20 year prison sentence and I'll still play online with MY money because that's my right as a free man. There is no government that has the right to restrict our personal freedoms and if a government thinks they can do that, that's when you know a revolution is necessary.

Every politician who signed that bill should have been thrown out of office, especially considering online gaming is a $100 billion per year industry and virtually every one of the site owners said they would gladly relocate to the U.S. and pay our federal taxes IF they were allowed to do so. But nope, we struggle to pay our bills with a ballooning deficit because our government thinks it's better to try to prevent us from "gambling" online than it is to tax it and let people do what they please. That is absolutely absurd. Also we all know the only reason they signed this bill, which is to help out local (U.S.) gambling establishments. It's not like we all can't gamble, they just don't want us doing it when they can't tax the revenue. And that's exactly why numerous trade organizations ruled against the U.S. and said the U.S. has no right to restrict free trade or make it difficult for legitimate companies to operate online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: